SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally hooked up my gauge today and I am overboosting under 3/4-wot to 25-30 psi!! I am wondering if this could be due to a faulty tcv-I have ipd's older version. Anyone have similar issues?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
...how does your engine still even work?

Definitely replace the old ipd TCV, contact them and they should send you their new version.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It could be a faulty gauge also, do you have access to a spare by any chance?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
So I finally hooked up my gauge today and I am overboosting under 3/4-wot to 25-30 psi!! I am wondering if this could be due to a faulty tcv-I have ipd's older version. Anyone have similar issues?
yeah , one would hope (that would be you) it's your gauge malfunctioning cause at 25- 30 psi is like rough riding with a thin condom on just about at any stroke it is going to rip just like your sleeve will have a crack in it boosting that high...so take it easy till you get it resolved.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah , one would hope (that would be you) it's your gauge malfunctioning cause at 25- 30 psi is like rough riding with a thin condom on just about at any stroke it is going to rip just like your sleeve will have a crack in it boosting that high...so take it easy till you get it resolved.
I know! I am staying out of throttle to keep it from exploding but thats the main reason I installed the boost gauge because it felt like something was going haywire at wot etc. The boost gauge works fine and boost wise I am fine for everyday driving and accelerating its usually bt 10-15 lbs during normal driving and acceleration but in 3rd gear at wot and when the aquamist hits it pulls like a mofoooo like I'm running NOS! My car was always a factory freak though-I have rangeballs car that he ran a 13.2 in the quarter with down in Fl on a hot day.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I know! I am staying out of throttle to keep it from exploding but thats the main reason I installed the boost gauge because it felt like something was going haywire at wot etc. The boost gauge works fine and boost wise I am fine for everyday driving and accelerating its usually bt 10-15 lbs during normal driving and acceleration but in 3rd gear at wot and when the aquamist hits it pulls like a mofoooo like I'm running NOS! My car was always a factory freak though-I have rangeballs car that he ran a 13.2 in the quarter with down in Fl on a hot day.
jeeez, i see...wow 13.2 wow ...just get that fixed cause you'll crack that sleeve.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
if it happens when the aquamist hits in then that seems to be your problem. can you unhook the aquamist and test? I don't know how aquamist works sorry. doesn't the aquamist come with a fail safe also?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I am def going to get it fixed and have been taking it easy on the throttle to say the least ever since it felt wierd at more then half throttle. Here's a link to more info on my ride from the 1st owner.http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?79421 I dont have the 3.5 dp anymore though witht he cutout bc I went to ipds dp with the cat bc I didnt want to deal with no cat and insp issues or tickets etc

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
...how does your engine still even work?

Definitely replace the old ipd TCV, contact them and they should send you their new version.

I had the same issue. It was a pinched turbo-TCV vacuum line.

If you take the top side vacuum line off of it (off of the TCV, the nipple is shiny metal, the others are plastic) and BLOW into it (with your mouth) and it's blocked, then that's your problem. If it's free-flowing, then you're good. IF it is free-flowing though, make sure it didn't just tear somewhere, since if no pressure gets to the TCV, the wastegate will never open. Also check the lines that go TO the wastegate from the TCV.

The TCV doesn't just break, at least it's not a common problem. Unless it's aftermarket, in which case just put a stock one on.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
bill, let me know if you want.. we can hook up my dice to it or if you don't have your a stock tcv we can take out the one from my car and see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We had same prob w ipd hd tcv. Put in a stock one and all was well.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info and offers guys. I resolved the issue. I put my stock tcv in and took out the ipd one and the issue resolved. She holds boost strong now even when the aquamist is on and flowing strong. I'm glad I took care of this issue as soon as I felt something odd or else there might have been another blown engine thread here. Proves that changing parts to aftermarket without an issue is not always the best route to go because my stock tcv is working just fine.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Nice to see the issue resolved before the boom. I have one of the Gen II IPD HD TCV's waiting to go in; I haven't noticed any problems with the Gen I HD TCV I have now, but this is valve serves such an important function I don't want to wait until it has troubles. Boost gauges should be mandatory for trubocharged cars, I don't know why the R didn't come with one.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Thanks for all the info and offers guys. I resolved the issue. I put my stock tcv in and took out the ipd one and the issue resolved. She holds boost strong now even when the aquamist is on and flowing strong. I'm glad I took care of this issue as soon as I felt something odd or else there might have been another blown engine thread here. Proves that changing parts to aftermarket without an issue is not always the best route to go because my stock tcv is working just fine.
I'm just glad you finally plugged in your boost gauge haha.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Boost gauges should be mandatory for trubocharged cars, I don't know why the R didn't come with one.
Especially when the older turbo Volvos had them :D not really a "gauge" but better then nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had this happen one time to me on the highway in 3rd and 4th gear. But it was boosting to 20-22 (I am stock) and I immediately stopped getting into boost. It went away the next time I drove and it has never came back. I am wondering if it was the IPD TCV crapping out under operating temps. I am going to be replacing all my TCV lines soon as well. Will IPD send you the new version if you have the first gen faulty one?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree that it should have come with a boost guage and if the tcv is faulty they offer a discount on a new one which I think is bogus. If you make a product that can blow your car up when it goes wrong you should replace it for free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts