SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all XC90 owners. I have owned Volvo’s for over ten years now. Had a s60 and now have a XC70. Love them both! I’m looking to purchase another Volvo and I see a lot of XC90s for sale. I was just wondering how these cars are? Are they durable and reliable? Would like to get an 03-06 is what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
In those years folks tend to like the later 2.5T models, like an '05 or '06. There are a few good "what to look for" threads in this forum. The T6 has a bad rap from the GM sourced transmission failing prematurely.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
962 Posts
In those years folks tend to like the later 2.5T models, like an '05 or '06. There are a few good "what to look for" threads in this forum. The T6 has a bad rap from the GM sourced transmission failing prematurely.
+1. Here's a recent example of one of the threads Wayne references: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=594039

I loved my '04 2.5T. Would have kept it forever if it hadn't done its duty last summer while my daughter was using it (took it on the nose from an Audi Q7 doing around 40 - she walked away without a scratch, of course). That said, love the '11 V8 that replaced it even more.

BD

'06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1. Here's a recent example of one of the threads Wayne references: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=594039

I loved my '04 2.5T. Would have kept it forever if it hadn't done its duty last summer while my daughter was using it (took it on the nose from an Audi Q7 doing around 40 - she walked away without a scratch, of course). That said, love the '11 V8 that replaced it even more.

BD

'06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)
Ok so like the other models I have owned stick with the 2.5T. That's my favorite engine anyways

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
962 Posts
Ok so like the other models I have owned stick with the 2.5T. That's my favorite engine anyways

Well yes, but as Wayne noted the issue really isn't with the engine in the T6, it's the GM transmission they mated to it. My understanding from those who own(ed) the T6 is that the engine itself is about as bulletproof as the 5 cylinder.

Edit: Meant to add that if you find a T6 that has had the proper tranny rebuild (other will pipe in on what that means), then it may not be a bad option if you find one at a good price.

BD

·
Registered
14,136 Posts

It's a great motor and you're used to working on it and are used to how it behaves. You won't win many stoplight drags but that's not the end all be all for most drivers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a great motor and you're used to working on it and are used to how it behaves. You won't win many stoplight drags but that's not the end all be all for most drivers.
Yes! I definitely know the ins and outs of that engine. All I have ever had. It's plenty for me and I love this engine. Over 350,000 thousand on my s60 and 175,000 on my XC70. And after hearing about those GM transmissions on the 6 I think I'll stick with what I know and look for an XC90 with the 2.5T. The XC90 would be for my wife.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I've had one for 14 years now, no significant complaints. For sure if this is a powertrain you're used to, it's the best option. '06 then '05 is my personal suggestion if all things are equal (latter model has revised plenum cover over CEM, may not have had the plastic PCV hose which at some point will have crumbled and left the system open until someone caught it).

XC90 will have a lot more stress than the other P2s, be prepared for front suspension work with a little higher frequency than what you've had to do in the other cars.

Good luck in your selection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all XC90 owners. I have owned Volvo's for over ten years now. Had a s60 and now have a XC70. Love them both! I'm looking to purchase another Volvo and I see a lot of XC90s for sale. I was just wondering how these cars are? Are they durable and reliable? Would like to get an 03-06 is what I am looking for.

Have an '04 and a '13 XC90 myself and can attest to them being pretty solid vehicles. Expect creaks and rattles in all of them, and in the '03-06 T6s, beware a 4-speed GM transmission. Others have noted some oil consumption in later 3.2 models. I have not had that issue with mine at 132K kms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The V8 is full of giggles though. Don't drive one unless you plan on buying the V8
I can confirm this. Picked up my '06 V8 about a month ago. I honestly never drove any of the other engines. I giggled once in the first test drive, and that was it.

My wife drove it for the first time the other day. As we turned onto an on-ramp I told her to put her foot on the floor. She did and at that moment I feared it would become her daily driver.

So far the keys are still in my pocket, but we'll see how long that lasts. I love this car, would recommend.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can confirm this. Picked up my '06 V8 about a month ago. I honestly never drove any of the other engines. I giggled once in the first test drive, and that was it.

My wife drove it for the first time the other day. As we turned onto an on-ramp I told her to put her foot on the floor. She did and at that moment I feared it would become her daily driver.

So far the keys are still in my pocket, but we'll see how long that lasts. I love this car, would recommend.
The V8 is full of giggles though. Don't drive one unless you plan on buying the V8
Thank you. Good to know. I was researching the V8 they put in those. Seems like a solid engine after 05. If I find one I like with a V8 I wouldn't be opposed to buying it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts