SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I did a valve job on my car and swapped all the valve seals on it, put it all together and did a compression test on it and the compression on each cylinder is immaculate. Car runs amazing and is better than when I first got it, I love it. Problem now is that I had previously a tune don't on my car with the rica handheld tuner from viva performance, and it was before I had done all the previously described repairs on the motor; so now that it has better compression the turbo seems to be over boosting. Tune would peak my car at 15 psi and now it seems to be peaking at 17-18 psi; is there any way that something could blow or mess up on my car? What are the things I can do to fix it if it is a bad problem? Maybe a re-tune? I have a forge CBV on the turbo and also an upgraded TCV. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
well, i know my original TCV seemed like it was over-boosting especially in 1st and 2nd. with a tune, 18psi isnt that much... thats kindof the numbers tuners seem to shoot for. So, i dont think it'd mess anything up... hopefully youve got an upgraded FMIC- if you do then i wouldnt worry about it. But if you are worried then try replacing the TCV. Upload your stock maps if you can and see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what strange, with my stock map my boost barely peaks at 10 PSI and after I uploaded my upgraded map it consistently peaks at 18. No I don't have an upgraded FMIC, I plan on getting one soon tho. I don't think its my TCV tho because like I said; wit my stock map it's consistent 10 psi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Need some turbo advise. Any takers?

Hey guys. I did a valve job on my S40 2.5 T5 FWD; and swapped all the valve seals on it, put it all together and did a compression test on it and the compression on each cylinder is immaculate. Car runs amazing and is better than when I first got it, I love it. Problem now is that I had previously a tune don't on my car with the rica handheld tuner from viva performance, and it was before I had done all the previously described repairs on the motor; so now that it has better compression the turbo seems to be over boosting. Tune would peak my car at 15 psi and now it seems to be peaking at 17-18 psi; is there any way that something could blow or mess up on my car? What are the things I can do to fix it if it is a bad problem? Maybe a re-tune? I have a forge CBV on the turbo and also an upgraded TCV. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S40 2.5 T5 advice

Hey guys. I did a valve job on my S40 2.5 T5 FWD; and swapped all the valve seals on it, put it all together and did a compression test on it and the compression on each cylinder is immaculate. Car runs amazing and is better than when I first got it, I love it. Problem now is that I had previously a tune don't on my car with the rica handheld tuner from viva performance, and it was before I had done all the previously described repairs on the motor; so now that it has better compression the turbo seems to be over boosting. Tune would peak my car at 15 psi and now it seems to be peaking at 17-18 psi; is there any way that something could blow or mess up on my car? What are the things I can do to fix it if it is a bad problem? Maybe a re-tune? I have a forge CBV on the turbo and also an upgraded TCV. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My car boosts 21 psi. Sometimes it peaks at 24 psi. I brought it to my Volvo dealer and asked them to test-drive it and tell me if it was a problem. They told me it's nothing to worry about. The car can easily handle 25 psi.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Reinstall the tune and see where you're at, check for vacuum leaks.

I only know one other person on the Rica tune and he's also peaking at 15psi.
My Elevate tune peaks and holds at 18psi with the K04, and I don't have any problems. But it does sound like you're over boosting for the software that you have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your response. I also have the stock turbo on my s40 (K04) I think I will try that in a bit, won't hurt anything. Yeah I know that's what I find strange with this tune before I did repairs on my engine the boost would peak at a consistent 15 PSI, and now it's ar 18 PSI. I'm worried that I'll be stressing my turbo. Again, thanks for the reply; and by the way I love your YouTube videos. Haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that is insane!!!! Well then maybe I don't have much to worry about, that is an immense amount of boost for the K04.. Haha. I'll probably take it to volvo later today and have them drive it as well. Thans for your input.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Thanks!

Just to double check... Are you certain that your boost gauge is properly calibrated? It would be ironic timing for the gauge to start reading different with the repairs, but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem man!:)

Actually I did what you suggested, I simply un-installed the ECU flash and re-installed it then Wallah! It's perfect now! All back to the norm. I feel so stupid that I didn't think of that haha. Hey if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the front lip that you had on your S40??

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
My car boosts 21 psi. Sometimes it peaks at 24 psi. I brought it to my Volvo dealer and asked them to test-drive it and tell me if it was a problem. They told me it's nothing to worry about. The car can easily handle 25 psi.

Hope this helps
If that's a k04, you have a serious problem, even with a custom tune. 20psi is more heat than boost for the K04. 21-25psi is K16 range.

Stock, the turbo only peaks at 10psi.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I'm boosting 19-20 Wot on the K04. your engine will be fine at 18. enjoy it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad that all worked out for you! With as finicky as the electronics can be in these cars, sometime it's just takes a "brain wash" to get them thinking correctly again.

The front lip was a custom part that I made. I sold it about a year ago, but it appears to still be for sale from the current owner.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?238215-MNIWT-front-lip-and-sport-steering-wheel

Yeah I'm glad I could get it fixed! Haha. Oh I see! Thanks! If it's not sold within the next week then I will surely take that off his hands. It looks killer. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
uhgg, i need to get a boost gauge already :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
uhgg, i need to get a boost gauge already :facepalm:
Haha, the things you guys wish for I have stuffed into a box in the back of my closet, just waiting for another P1 in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
well im just not confident ill figure out how to install it lol. or that ill have a decent place to put it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts