SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent interview with the head of Volvo PR and marketing Mr. Bjarne, states that 50% of the new XC90 owners are new to Volvo in the US and 39% in Europe. The demand for the Inscription package + other options was underestimated from Volvos side, which made delivery times much longer for customers. They delivered over 40k in 2015, but Bjarne said that they could have delivered over 80k if they hadn't underestimated demand for some options (over 88k orders in 2015...still many to be delivered in 2016, many T8's included).

How many XC90s do you think Volvo can sell in the US during 2016? (12,665 sold in 2015)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How many XC90s do you think Volvo can sell in the US during 2016? (12,665 sold in 2015)
Good info - thanks for sharing! As for how many? Why, all of them! :) (sorry - couldn't resist)

Hard to say - and may really depend on how the economy and fuel prices go. If Volvo only was able to delivery ca 40k but had more than double that for orders ... and of the 40k only 12,6k (~32%) were destined to the US ... plus: when did the vehicles really start rolling off the Göteborg assembly lines? April / May?

My guess? 36,000 units. I think in the US the issue will become the dealer network. In some places - no Volvo dealer nearby. In other places - Volvo dealer is small shop and not the kind of place that an Audi, Lexus, high end luxury car buyer would go to. And still at other dealers Volvo is but one of many brands under the same roof (and not necessarily the dominant or preferred brand).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
In a recent interview with the head of Volvo PR and marketing Mr. Bjarne, states that 50% of the new XC90 owners are new to Volvo in the US and 39% in Europe. The demand for the Inscription package + other options was underestimated from Volvos side, which made delivery times much longer for customers. They delivered over 40k in 2015, but Bjarne said that they could have delivered over 80k if they hadn't underestimated demand for some options (over 88k orders in 2015...still many to be delivered in 2016, many T8's included).

High 20Ks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the first few years of the XC90 MK I, Volvo sold about 3000 of them a month, so expect the sale number of 2016 to be around 40K.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So less than 50% of owners are repeat customers. Do they know something about Volvo the noobies don't?

·
Registered
487 Posts
So less than 50% of owners are repeat customers. Do they know something about Volvo the noobies don't?
I guess if Volvo could (as they claim) increase production by 100% and sell ALL of those vehicles in 1 year (50% of them to net new customers), then maybe the answer is that they found appeal from a different buyer demographic or market segment, making your association with customer sat less significant?

·
Registered
478 Posts
In my case, I'm a repeat customer, but I've been driving the same Volvo wagon since 1991. It's hard to rely upon repeat customers when your cars last forever.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
In my case, I'm a repeat customer, but I've been driving the same Volvo wagon since 1991. It's hard to rely upon repeat customers when your cars last forever.
:beer::thumbup:
My wife compared them to good fitting jeans.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Least we forget that that variety has increased with the coming 2017 T5 awd, fwd in the different trims.

Now all they need to do is offer the 7 passenger as an option for the T5.....

The P*tune for all drivetrains will also help.

Congrats Volvo!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Least we forget that that variety has increased with the coming 2017 T5 awd, fwd in the different trims.

Now all they need to do is offer the 7 passenger as an option for the T5.....

The P*tune for all drivetrains will also help.

Congrats Volvo!
They are not offering 7seats on T5. 5 seats on T6 probably will be offered. Marketing reason I think, worrying 7seats T5 will eat into sales of T6.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
They are not offering 7seats on T5. 5 seats on T6 probably will be offered. Marketing reason I think, worrying 7seats T5 will eat into sales of T6.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
T5 5-pass
T6 7-pass

There is no reason to offer a 5-pass T6.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
But there is market for 5-passenger T6. Some people do not want 2 more seats but want more power.
No need to complicate it any further than what they're doing. You want the T6? It's a 7 passenger and you can fold down the third-row.
If that offends the hand-full of people who would then walk-away, so be it. Better to have stream-lined, efficient production lines, rather than immense sets of options, drive trains, colors, etc.

·
Registered
478 Posts
T5 5-pass
T6 7-pass

There is no reason to offer a 5-pass T6.
I would have purchased a 5 seat T8, if the extra space could be used for more battery, or even a spare tire.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
No need to complicate it any further than what they're doing. You want the T6? It's a 7 passenger and you can fold down the third-row.
If that offends the hand-full of people who would then walk-away, so be it. Better to have stream-lined, efficient production lines, rather than immense sets of options, drive trains, colors, etc.
It does not appear to be complicated at all dropping a T6 versus T5 engine on a 5-seater chassis. Engines are so big and have much less chance to get wrong type than those small decorations. :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My dream vehicle is a 7-pass P* drive-E T6 V90. That's right I said 7 passenger V90! Let's get crazy!:OT:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
To get back on track, great job appealing to more buyers! Well done! The XC90 is truly a world class vehicle.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would have purchased a 5 seat T8, if the extra space could be used for more battery, or even a spare tire.
Ah - this is what I wanted - but they wouldn't build it for me :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts