SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I started the car and my steering wheel and seat heat came on. Have it set for preconditioning. Then I saw it was reading the outside temperature at 49F. I live in SC and it was actually 72F. It eventually climbed but not over 60F. When I got in this afternoon the outside temp was 82F and the Volvo thermometer scrolled from 60 up to 80 the settled on 71F.

Anyone else see this and know if there is a TJ to cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 2016 Momentum+ did the same thing for a day or two about a month and a half ago, then seemed to "fix itself" and has been fine ever since. I will mention it when I take it in to the dealer for service, but right now it's fine. Hope yours is miraculously healed as well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is a common problem and needs the ambient temp sensor in the side mirror replaced. Take it into the dealer and have it repairs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Same here. Just had the sensor replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same thing happen for the first time yesterday. Showed 72F but was actually 86F. Had to significantly drop the AC temp to cool off the interior.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a common problem and needs the ambient temp sensor in the side mirror replaced. Take it into the dealer and have it repairs.
I've taken mine to the dealer twice. Each time, they say that they've tested it and it's showing normal. Whenever I drive it and park, it's always 10-15 higher than actual temp.
When I drive it, it goes down, but in stop and go traffic, it continues to climb at least back to 10 degrees above.

Anyway to get this problem repaired or is it just "functioning as intended"? My BMWs, RAM, and Escalade never did this -- it always showed the correct temp no matter the situation!
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
As has already been mentioned, the sensor is known to be unreliable. This can lead to very
uncomfortable situations since the climate system depends on the measurement of the
outside temperature to decide if it will cool. If the reading is faulty, it may decide to blow only
hot air, even when it is hotter outside. Since the sensor is a cheap component (about $15)
I have a spare in the car so I can replace it myself (part no. 31442888).
It is located in the right reverse view mirror housing, the mirror itself can be pulled out.
There is no connector in the mirror housing, the wiring has to be cut and the new sensor soldered in.
Tightly twisting the bare wires will also do the job for a short while.
My spare sensor is "made in germany", so it must of indisputable quality :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had intermittent issues with the sensor over the past month; will start out correct, then drop 20 degrees F, and then slowly work its was back up to about 5 degrees F low.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here is the TJ if anyone needs to show their unwilling dealer.
Mine first told me they couldn't change the sensor unless it reported a faulty code, even though I showed him a video of the temp dropping 10 degrees in less than a minute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the TJ!

I've been saving up several TJ's before I head into the dealer and was hoping Volvo gets a fix for the "Windscreen Blocked" Sensus software issue first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started noticing a faulty sensor today when the temperature hit the 90s and I was showing a 71. Will follow up with the dealership with the TJ.

A/C was also not working well, I'm assuming it had to do with the sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dealer replaced the sensor this week, seems to have corrected the problems

Did they tell you that they tested it and it was faulty? They won't replace mine. They just keep telling me that it's normal. To me, it's not normal
to be 15 degrees above normal when the car is parked. Even in stop and go traffic, it's way over the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did they tell you that they tested it and it was faulty? They won't replace mine. They just keep telling me that it's normal. To me, it's not normal
to be 15 degrees above normal when the car is parked. Even in stop and go traffic, it's way over the ambient temperature.
Not sure if they tested it or how they tested it. When I drove it there, it was showing 20° off, I guess they couldn't deny it

·
Registered
879 Posts
It is normal to be a few degrees higher than the actual outside temperature. This is because the sensor is in the bottom of your passenger side mirror and it is reading heat coming off the hot roads. There really is nothing you can do about this.

As the TJ shows, the sensor will screw up the AC performance because the sensor will read LOWER than actual outside temp. If the car thinks it is 60 outside when it is in fact 80, it will cut down your AC. BUT reading higher than actual is normal and will NOT effect your AC performance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts