SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know those temp sensors tend to overestimate outside temp (because they usually assess temp at the road and not in the air) but mine is 10 to 15 F (7 to 10 C) high. I've never driven a vehicle in which the outside temp on the dash is so grossly inaccurate. That may just be a reality of Volvos and its not a big deal because of the weather app in SENSUS. However, I want to know whether other SPA XC60 owners also have a similar issue. I posted this question in the Facebook Volvo forum and got inconsistent answers. Right now, I don't know whether to go back to the dealer or just live with it (which won't be hard, of course).

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If parked in the sun it will do that, a few minutes driving down the road and it makes the adjustment.... At least on my vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
My spa xc90 temp sensor readings were fluctuating drastically, after replacement temp radings became very acurate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I know those temp sensors tend to overestimate outside temp (because they usually assess temp at the road and not in the air) but mine is 10 to 15 F (7 to 10 C) high. I've never driven a vehicle in which the outside temp on the dash is so grossly inaccurate. That may just be a reality of Volvos and its not a big deal because of the weather app in SENSUS. However, I want to know whether other SPA XC60 owners also have a similar issue. I posted this question in the Facebook Volvo forum and got inconsistent answers. Right now, I don't know whether to go back to the dealer or just live with it (which won't be hard, of course).
Al the Volvos we have ever owned have high readings in the summer, its just a Volvo thing. The winter temp reading seems to be more accurate.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Al the Volvos we have ever owned have high readings in the summer, its just a Volvo thing. The winter temp reading seems to be more accurate.
Thanks (PS I lived in Nashville for many years, my grad degree is from Vandy and I also taught there).

·
Registered
159 Posts
My XC60 dash displayed 99-100° F on the 20 mile drive home today. and the Volvo on Call app showed 95° as I entered the car which was parked in ab open lot. At that time, my phone weather map showed 96° F for my location. So my sensor seems a little less inflated than yours. but it is usually higher than expected.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Funny, mine seems to always be within 2-3 degrees of what my phone is reporting, so pretty accurate. AFAIK the sensor is in the right side mirror housing.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Funny, mine seems to always be within 2-3 degrees of what my phone is reporting, so pretty accurate. AFAIK the sensor is in the right side mirror housing.
+1

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2013 S60, when I complained to Volvo (Rickenbaugh, Denver, CO) about it reading 10 degrees higher, they told me that they checked with a temperature gun (infrared that reads surface temperature remotely) and "the surface reads the same as my car is showing". I asked if they could just set it to read 10 degrees lower, to be closer to ambient temperature, they said it couldn't be adjusted. I have NEVER had a car that measured outside temperature read so much different from actual--I assume they mount the sensor to a metal part on the body, instead of insulating it from the hot car surface...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gmouse! Appreciate you sharing your experience

1 - 11 of 11 Posts