SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im popping a vein in my neck trying to get the outer passenger tie rod off. Is it by chance reverse thread on my 04?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
No. Have you tried laying underneath it while trying to break it free? You get the best leverage that way just make sure the car is safely supported.

Also use the proper open end wrenches not an adjustable wrench.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
May be time to get the torches out. No reverse threads, most likely seized.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had to break loose my tie rods on my 2000 V70R. I thought it was a bust until I came up with this idea and it worked like a charm.

Take your two wrenches and position them so that when they turn, the handles will pass each other in a couple of degrees. Basically have the handles sticking off in almost the same direction. Take a huge screwdriver and stick it through the closed ends of the wrenches and use it to twist the two wrenches relative to each other. The closer you keep the wrench ends two each other along the screwdriver, the more you multiply the torque. The only trouble I had trouble was when I was trying to go the wrong way. That happened to be on the passenger side. So quadruple check that. It's trickier than it seems to go the right direction since you are using a lever to turn two levers in opposite directions. I couldn't believe I was trying to go the wrong way.

Also when reinstalling, you can put them on upside-down and or with the curved part facing the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had my shop do my tie rod ends not too long ago since I had it in for something else. They reported that they actually had to cut them off they were seized so badly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts