SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I started a post about whether-or-not I should get an S60 R. Since then I've been all OVER the place on cars, walking away from a few R sellers who were ridiculously dishonest (one on this forum, even) and considered an Audi, some Beemers, a Mazda, and even a Jaguar.

And yet I've always returned to the S60 R. At the moment it would appear that I've closed a deal on an R located in Reading, PA at a shop that ONLY sells and services Volvos. They proved themselves knowledgeable pretty qucikly, and I'm looking forward to seeing the vehicle in person next week.

Of course, I'm still browsing around eBay, Cars.com, Autotrader, etc, mainly just because I'm more nervous about this automotive purchase than anything else I've ever bought before...

See, my wife and I are expecting our first child very early in 2013. It wasn't really on my "to-do" list, but, well, without getting into specifics, it appears that I'm, uh, "more effective."

Anyways, we knew we'd need a four-door car, and I'm a sports-car enthusiast, so I wanted something FUN, but knew that it'd need to be SAFE, and I also wanted it to be rather formidable. I live in Western PA where it can snow pretty well, EVERY road is a mountain of one sort or another, and I bought a house on a road that our city has apparently decided doesn't need visited by snow plows... ...ever. So my requirements became All-Wheel Drive, somewhere north of 200 horsepower, manual transmission, and four doors. WOW did that ever limit my options...

ANYWAYS, I'm rambling... I've found an awful lot of S60 R's for sale where people are saying, "the family is expanding and we need a better car..." Why is the S60 R not a good family car? Now I realize we live in a day-and-age where people feel that they NEED to have 3, 4, 5 kids... ...I'll restrain on name-calling... ...but I plan on keeping our number at ONE. Yes this might require surgery. I'm okay with that.

But other than not knowing when to pull out, what other reasons might one have for thinking that an S60 is not a good family car?

Oh, and I've read the comments that the rear leg room isn't great, but frankly I suspect I'll be parting ways with an S60 anyways by the time the kid is around 5 as the car will be a teenager by then...

Anyways, looking for creative discussion here. Sorry if I offended any zoo-owners out there. :) But people are eating other people and going Rambo in public movie theatres, which tends to make me think that maybe there are just a few too many humans out there already, ya know?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
You bring up a good point that I have never understood as the R is an extremely safe car, which saved me a ton in insurance. It's a 4 door sedan that is relatively quiet at a stock level and even with an exhaust and whatnot, it's not unbelievably loud or crazy. I really do not think that I will dispose of this car until it thoroughly $hits the bed and even then I would have the rambling in my head about rebuilding it. Pull the trigger, you will not be unhappy that you did so. It's attractive, quick and most importantly very safe just as all Volvo's are. It turns quite a few heads as well and I'll never get over the "OMG is that a freakin' Volvo?". I guess people treat this car like they would a higher end Beamer or Audi and claim that it's going to kill if you crash it...no I have crashed a Volvo and even though the exterior was demolished, the interior showed absolutely no signs of impact!

DO IT.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The SR works as a family car. All of my friends that sit in the back love the seats. I am 6 foot and taller than my friends, but it's not too bad on short road trips at my height. If I could do it all over I would have held out for a MT VR.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
998 Posts
Part of the reason why I chose the R over an S4, STI or Evo was because I needed a 4-door to drive family & friends around. Granted, it's far better than others in terms of comfort and luxury, but it still is pretty tight on space for a car in its class. My friends would rather sit in an Acura RDX over my R for long distances, and it's not hard to see why.

But in your case, if one's the limit, then you should be fine. Just don't make more than two. ;)

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should mention that the S60 R I feel confident I'm buying is a manual transmission, gray/dark-silver/titantium/whatever they call it with the black-and-blue interior. It has a smidge more mileage than I wanted - 116K - and doesn't have the factory body kit. But I figured it's a Volvo, so the mileage isn't too big a problem, and I can always buy a body kit.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I should mention that the S60 R I feel confident I'm buying is a manual transmission, gray/dark-silver/titantium/whatever they call it with the black-and-blue interior. It has a smidge more mileage than I wanted - 116K - and doesn't have the factory body kit. But I figured it's a Volvo, so the mileage isn't too big a problem, and I can always buy a body kit.
You basically just described my car, but 110k. Maxenar drove it a few weeks ago and said it felt pretty good :) BUY IT. The wife and I are about to start planning that as well, my number is at 1, she wants 2...lol we'll see who has more self control (read: her). Anyway, the rear legroom of the sedan isn't all that great, but who cares honestly? The V has a few more inches, but good luck finding a reasonably priced 6spd in good shape. I found one, and it needs a lot of work. Friend of mine bought it at auction and is holding onto it until someone buys my S60R. As far as the legroom issue, if someone ******* about it, they need to drive their own car or shut up :). The R is no more expensive to maintain than a comparable BMW, I should know, i've had about 8 of them. The wife has a 2001 C70 coupe with the T5, has 180k on it and has been the most reliable car i've ever owned, and 2nd fastest now that I have the R...previous car was a 540i 6spd and it was great, but it was a relatively expensive car to run towards the higher mileage years.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've got a brood of four (three still in the house) and the R has been a very qualified chariot for the fam. Safety is top notch and the back seat can accommodate all three children including a car set and booster. We also have an XC90 for the long family trips but my youngsters actually prefer to ride in the R. They like the swooshing of the turbo, the popping of the pipes and the pretty gauges. Not to mention is a looker compared to the XC.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our buying from European motors I drive by there everyday. It's clean that ti-r is. If you need the extra space they also have a clean v70r same color and interior 6speed as well

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Get the VR :thumbup:

When hauling around the new child items, you will appreciate the easy access to the storage space.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not a good family car. My kids have ranged from 6 - 18 while I have owned my S60R. Why is it not a good family car? (1) The boosters/kid seats I bought did not fit well into the rear seats. The bolsering is difficult to accomodate. (2) Despite what others have said, the rear leg room is not sufficient. If you want to be kicked constantly by your son/daughter, get the R. And to those who have threatened to dicipline their kids for kicking the seat, really??? You are going to punish a child for acting like a child? Comon. (3) Cost. You are going to spend a ton of money maintaining an R. If you are one of the very lucky Americans who actually has a job, don't you think you should be saving every penny? Not to mention your new child for whom you will need to save a TON of money. Seen college tuitions lately? What is more important, your child's future or a pair of $750 shocks? Or a $1,000 head lamp? What is the smarter use of those funds? (4) Time vampire. I have read it on here before, "I am handy.... I can do my own work." OK, again, you have a child on the way. You say it's your first. I'm sure your wife is going to like to hear that you can't spend time with little Joey or Judy because you are out spending countless hours on a hunk of metal. Again, what is more important? A car or your child? (5) Safety. I think people need to take a look at all vehicles' safety ratings. Volvo made a brilliant marketing move decades ago when it painted itself as the "safe" car. Compared to the vast majority of cars out there, it was. But times have changed. Many car manufacturers now make some very safe cars. And some very pragmatic cars, too. Volvo no longer has the corner on the safety market. And, how safe is a car that needs to K turn into every parking spot? I have begun (an ill advised) U Turn many times and thought, "Oh __it, I'm going to get T-boned." A U turn that an air craft carrier could make is a K turn in this car. (6) You can get your kicks in your Viper. There is no need for the R. Sorry. One vote against the R for a new dad. Kids give (or at least should give) you some perspective real fast.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a good family car. My kids have ranged from 6 - 18 while I have owned my S60R. Why is it not a good family car? (1) The boosters/kid seats I bought did not fit well into the rear seats. The bolsering is difficult to accomodate. (2) Despite what others have said, the rear leg room is not sufficient. If you want to be kicked constantly by your son/daughter, get the R. And to those who have threatened to dicipline their kids for kicking the seat, really??? You are going to punish a child for acting like a child? Comon. (3) Cost. You are going to spend a ton of money maintaining an R. If you are one of the very lucky Americans who actually has a job, don't you think you should be saving every penny? Not to mention your new child for whom you will need to save a TON of money. Seen college tuitions lately? What is more important, your child's future or a pair of $750 shocks? Or a $1,000 head lamp? What is the smarter use of those funds? (4) Time vampire. I have read it on here before, "I am handy.... I can do my own work." OK, again, you have a child on the way. You say it's your first. I'm sure your wife is going to like to hear that you can't spend time with little Joey or Judy because you are out spending countless hours on a hunk of metal. Again, what is more important? A car or your child? (5) Safety. I think people need to take a look at all vehicles' safety ratings. Volvo made a brilliant marketing move decades ago when it painted itself as the "safe" car. Compared to the vast majority of cars out there, it was. But times have changed. Many car manufacturers now make some very safe cars. And some very pragmatic cars, too. Volvo no longer has the corner on the safety market. And, how safe is a car that needs to K turn into every parking spot? I have begun (an ill advised) U Turn many times and thought, "Oh __it, I'm going to get T-boned." A U turn that an air craft carrier could make is a K turn in this car. (6) You can get your kicks in your Viper. There is no need for the R. Sorry. One vote against the R for a new dad. Kids give (or at least should give) you some perspective real fast.
(6) is actually where you lost me - it's BECAUSE of the new arrival that I probably won't get to play with the Viper very often... I'll be making the daycare runs, and as a result will very rarely if-ever get to drive that thing. I think I'm fooling myself frankly, still thinking that I won't sell it next year...

On (5) you're really not wrong. I didn't choose the Volvo for it's safety rating, honestly. I mentioned safety only because I knew I WOULDN'T want a used Kia, or some goofy "smart car" or something like that.

I don't really see the argument with (4) - I already have 3 cars and maintain all three of them myself. I spent 2 hours in the garage 2 weeks ago to change the oil and rotate the tires on the wife's Chally... I spent 20 minutes replacing an O2 sensor in my Stratus last week... I don't really see how having a Volvo is suddenly going to require spending every waking hour of my life in my garage. And if so, it'll end up getting sold. Quick.

On (3), yeah, I fear that this car is going to cost me some money, but honestly any car that's more than 5 years old is going to need maintenance and repairs. I DID consider something like an AWD (automatic) Dodge Charger, but I didn't really want another full-size sedan in my garage. For the cars that I was considering; Volvo, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, VW, pretty much ALL of them were going to be cash-consumers. My considerable research said that this would be the LEAST of them all. Well, maybe second, next to VW. VW's I just can't work on myself - VW cars are HORRIBLE for the DIY'er.

(2) - I kicked the back seat in my Dad's ancient Lincoln Town Car. No car is big enough for something like this, so frankly it was a moot point with me. If I wanted a car with lots of rear leg room I'd have bought the '66 Dodge Custom Royal at Carlisle earlier this month... The Volvo is shorter overall than my Stratus, meaning no space issues in the garage. I don't want to drive a boat.

Lastly, I'll keep (1) in mind as I start shopping for car seats. Yeah, kinda went backwards there. Oh well. :)

Oh and for the last time, I'm NOT BUYING A STATION WAGON!! You can convince yourself that it's "cool" all you want. Trust me - I understand. But it isn't. Source: everyone. :) I drove two station wagons throughout college and I'm never muttering the phrase, "Oh, my car? Uh, it's that Wagon over there..." again! Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.

And if my eurologist screws up my vasectomy and I find out AFTER the fact, I'll get a Trailblazer or something. :)

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I'll admittedly retract my closing statement: I WOULD drive this wagon. A '66 Dodge Dart Estate with a 440 Mopar Big Block. This thing sounded NASTY!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Oh and for the last time, I'm NOT BUYING A STATION WAGON!! You can convince yourself that it's "cool" all you want. Trust me - I understand. But it isn't. Source: everyone
Oh oh, you just swatted the proverbial hornets nest, better get out the flame suit (grabs a bag a popcorn sits back to watch the show)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh oh, you just swatted the proverbial hornets nest, better get out the flame suit (grabs a bag a popcorn sits back to watch the show)
Funny how he asks everyone to be nice but slams wagons ? On a Volvo forum ? OP: has your knee entered your mouth yet, your foot is long gone!

J/K, I love my wagon but I can understand it's not for everyone.

We had a Jetta and a Mini Cooper with our first kid and both were fine. Yes, if you buy today's largest car seat, it will be a tight squeeze but other than that: I loved having smaller cars than the run of the mill SUV, especially when I had to pay for the maintenance on them.

Get an S60R, if you don't like it, sell it. But don't go the traditional route and ask yourself in 4-5 years why you didn't give the S60 a shot, you'll regret it.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

LOL. I know, and I'm sorry... But I already SAID I wasn't going to get a wagon and people keep telling me to get a wagon. No wagon.

Hell my FIRST CAR (thanks mom and dad) was a 1986 Subaru GL Hatchback. 4cyl, 5sp. Loved that car. When I totaled it (mom and dad say "Thanks son...") I wound up with a '91 Mercury Sable LS Wagon, 3.8L V6 (translation: "grenade") Auto.

So I DID wagons. Drove them, traveled to-and-from college many times in them. Loaded to the gills, often... Zero-rear-suspension travel at times... And when my son/daughter is prepping for college, they'll be mortified when I buy THEM a wagon... (They'll thank me later...) But MY days in a wagon are over (since someone else bought that Dart!)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm 6'4". There is no chance that a child or a child seat could fit behind mine.

I really think the S60R is not a good choice for family car, however it's a great dad car that is safe enough to pass on to the kids in the future as well as the odd trip around town. If your planning on having a large family get an SUV or Minivan.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Wifey got a minivan, so I got the SR - had she wanted a sedan I would have bought the VR for use as the family truckster in a heartbeat. That extra cargo space is invaluable for loading up the Costco diapers, stroller, playpen, toys, bike, etc., etc., etc. Will the SR work?, sure, but I wouldn't write that wagon off so quickly.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will the SR work?, sure, but I wouldn't write that wagon off so quickly.
Awwwww rats - too late! :)

Seriously though if I really felt that the "SR" (still learning the slang around here) wouldn't work for space, I'd buy an SUV/Crossover. A Trailblazer would be my first choice. I also considered a Dodge Caliber SRT4, but prices are kinda high still.

Even my WIFE said "Absolutely no minivans." After all, this woman DOES drive a Dodge Challenger. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts