SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Our steering wheel is hugeee

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  nkreig 
#1 ·
Did anyone notice that compare to other europian cars our steering wheel is much bigger than other cars. I didn't notice but diameter has to be over 14-15 inches...
Can anyone measure the diameter of sport steering wheel so we can compare them.

#2 ·
Is that why people get the sport steering wheel? I never quite understood that.

Maybe I haven't noticed as I have been driving an SUV for the year and a half before I found the S40.

#5 ·
it's just the looks. diameter is the same, or even a bit bigger (since it's upholstered with leather, compared to the thin plastic steering wheel).

a smaller steering wheel would include a smaller airbag and maybe the loss of steering wheel control buttons.

#7 ·
These steering wheels are huge. I noticed it instantly when I auto xd the car

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

#12 ·
We really do have GIANT steering wheels. That, and the minimal amount of room between the gas and brake, are the only two things I don't like about the car.

#13 ·
Sport steering wheel feels much better in your hands and if you do participate in spirited driving is much better at getting a proper handle on vs the stock one. Both are equally ginormous but I would take the sport any day of the week!

#15 ·
If you want a small wheel (sporty) then you've chosen the wrong car.

I love the size of my leather steering wheel! My 960 had a slightly smaller wheel, which just got on my nerves, as you need more force to turn it than you do with a normal C30/S40/V50 wheel. No, I'm no sissy or so with no power in my arms, but it is just tiring. The steering wheel is a comfortable size with a comfortable shaping. The R-Design (sports) wheel LOOKS smaller, but is exactly the same size - it just has a thicker edge.

#16 ·
I've never thought of my steering wheel has being small! Lol, I can see it is huge in comparison to a F1 race car but common guys it's not that our Volvos have anything spirited when it comes to steering (unfortunately :( ) . . . For what our cars can do with its steering it's plenty small imo . . . + it also depends on how you use it :p

#17 ·
Compared to any non-P1 Volvo, our cars have very sporty steering. Grip that wheel and hold on for the ride!

The VW and Porsche both have smaller wheels. I want to say my dad's Taco has a smaller wheel too. I wouldn't mind if it were about an inch smaller, it would make it easier to turn without having to move your arms/hands, especially on those mountain roads.

#18 ·
Can't really confirm that, as the steering wheel dimension isn't the dominant factor when it comes to cornering (steering rack ratio is the main factor) or better to the steering.

Volvo changed the steering rack ratio for the Facelift C30 R-Designs (less steering turns required). The wheel stayed the same size.

The normal reason people fit smaller wheels is for the optics. They then say that it works better and they can steer better. I call it the "placebo effect" ;)

#19 ·
You're driving a VOLVO, not an AMG or M5 or one of the very few cars that have a flat bottom wheel.
(Volvo steering wheels are not too large, in fact they're just about right for almost all types of driving)

#21 ·
I love my r-design wheel...size does matter BTW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.