SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our new XC90 for 30 days, and today we noticed a long vertical scratch (about 8 inches long on the front passenger side door just to the left of the door handle). It's in a spot that indicates it likely wasn't an accidental ding. Here's my question. Anyone familiar with whether this is a fix I can have done only at the dealer or can it be done at any reputable body shop? Will this cost much to repair?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
A picture, or pictures, would certainly help but most likely repainting would be involved and honestly, for a proper job to be done it won't be cheap as in not done for under $300 - $400. They wouldn't just repaint the scratch itself, it involves repainting the panel or a good portion of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Here's images of someone's door who got keyed posted on another forum I'm on (The last two, to me, look like he took em' after trying to polish them out himself as they seem more 'blended'). He posted this about 3 weeks ago, so it isn't an ancient post. He went to a local bodyshop and for this damage he was quoted $1000, just to give you an idea of how much for what theirs looks like.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Rookie question. How do I upload a picture?
I like to use www.imgur.com

You upload your images to that site and then once the images are uploaded, you link to them from here.

You click the icon on here, above the text box, that says 'insert image' (It's the icon to the left of the film looking icon) and then enter the link to the image in the pop up box.

Alternatively, there is this old thread on here about how to do it posted by the admin in 2011 (funny thing is the image in the first post isn't showing up anymore, lol. That's why I like imgur): http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157549-How-to-post-pictures-in-a-thread

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok took two tries but uploaded. Thanks Paradox. I suppose comprehensive insurance should cover he cost if it exceeds $1,000.

·
Registered
478 Posts
People suck.

·
3,899 Posts
Doesn't look too mad actually, that looks topical. Where are you located, I'm sure either I or another pro could get that out easily.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sad that people can take their own insecurity out on a car........they must be very unhappy...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't look too mad actually, that looks topical. Where are you located, I'm sure either I or another pro could get that out easily.
I live in Chicago on the north side. It looks deliberate and I suppose it could be an accident. I'll call the dealer and ask for an estimate.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
You could first try picking up a bottle of scratch remover from Walmart, or a similar place. It is relatively cheap and worth a shot before getting estimates. Plus, having a bottle couldn't hurt for any small future scratches you may get. It may just minimize it enough that you are ok with it and save yourself a lot of money and some time.

Something like this product: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G-10307-G10307-ScratchX/dp/B0002UNON8

Follow up with some wax/sealant on top of the area when done.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I have been using Meguiar's products for a long long time and think they are top notch!!!

·
3,899 Posts
I live in Chicago on the north side. It looks deliberate and I suppose it could be an accident. I'll call the dealer and ask for an estimate.
No, they are idiots no offense.

Take it to a professional detailer, join autopia and request a detailer in chicago. That scratch looks fixable, plus it's always good to get a depth read.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Several years ago the parking door closed while I was driving through and I was able to fix it without re painting the car. You can try to polish it yourself, or take it to a body shop. Your scratch looks pretty easy to fix (as much as you can see on a screen)

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife's Odyssey was recently keyed (a huge long gash), and we haven't dealt with it yet. Not much makes me angrier than an intentional keying. If that were to happen to my new XC90, I'd lose it. Really sorry to the OP - (some) people suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts