SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking for a replacement for our 2005 Honda Odyssey. The Audi Q7 TDI and Infiniti JX35 were fighting for the top spot until my wife drove the XC90 R-Design. We have owned two XC90s (2003 2.5T and a 2007 V8 Sport) and getting behind the wheel felt comfortable and familiar. The XC felt more controllable as compared to the Q7 and JX - so today was negotiation day (last day of the month).

She preferred the 2013 Saville Grey RD but this morning a white 2012 with only 8600 miles arrived at our dealer. It has NAV and RSE, options she wanted. The '13 Platinum did not have RSE. The '12 has the CPO warranty and I like the look with the 20" Cratus wheels. Although, the 19s on the '13s are probably the better setup for my wife. :)

I'm on the fence about the 2013's painted lower panels - the LED fogs are nice, the new, all black, leather pattern is also nice, and I think the digital numbers in the gauges are a more muted blue color. Both have an iPod adapter in the glove box, which was a welcome surprise.

Now I just need to order a hitch and some rubber mats. :)

I'll post more after we pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Congrats - another great choice!
I hope it serves you well.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Congrats, Chris! Looks fantastic! :thumbup:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Very nice find! :D

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Wow really nice!

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - she fits in nicely with my '00 XC:

I've been given permission to drive it the remainder of this week but after that momma takes the keys.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I test drove a '08 XC90 Sport V8 back to back with this 3.2 and for me the V8 was a much better driving experience. I find the 3.2 can be decent enough in manual mode where you can hold revs, and it doesn't sound too bad. The 3.2 doesn't compare to the V8 in overall performance and it does feel 'lacklustre' if you drive them back to back. The 6spd Geartronic programming feels a bit mismatched and could be improved for smoother shifts with the 3.2 under full throttle. The 3.2 feel restrained, perhaps a downpipe, exhaust and ECU tune might free up some power.

I commuted in the XC today and I am finding the 3.2 is, dare I say, pretty decent. It lacks top end but enough grunt to scoot with DC metro traffic. Boost from a supercharger or turbo would give it the kick it really needs to move the weight of the XC90.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
How does the 3.2 V6 compare to the V8. My wife has a V8 and I drove the new 3.2 recently and though it was a bit lacklustre?
The 3.2 is an inline 6, not a V6. It also cannot be compared to the V8; two different animals. Nonetheless, the 3.2 does loosen up even more once you put about 2,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
712 Posts

I've been given permission to drive it the remainder of this week but after that momma takes the keys.
Very nice in white. Whenever I see my wife's '10 XC RD from a distance I'm amazed at how good the 10 year old design looks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's very sharp in white.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The '90 had the XPel clear bra treatment applied today. This is the 3rd XC90 I have had done with the XPel pattern by the guys at www.pftfilms.com in Herndon, VA. They also did my '06 Sonic Blue V70R, '07 VW GTI (also white) and each install was nearly undetectable. My GTI's kit over white was still nearly invisible after 4yrs, so I have high expectations for similar results. I have heard complaints about yellowing but I have not experience anything significant, but our cars are garaged. When I started to "see" the clear bra, I would use a light polish and it was "invisible" again.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also added a proper license plate frame. :)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

hold on!!!! where is the 2013 S60? lol

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Very nice stable of cars you have there. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
A head turner for anyone passing by your neighbourhood.
Owning a XC90 for the 3rd time - same ownership ranking as Jeremy Clarkson? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts