SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased about a month ago a 2001 V70 T5 for my wife. We have been looking for a wagon for awhile and have been going back and forth between BMW's and maybe a V70R. I have owned a 540i Sport Sedan for the last 6 years and I love it. I really wasn't to eager to get another one in a wagon and have to pay for maintenance on two 540i's. Most out there aren't properly maintained or very expensive if they had low miles. We almost snatched a E46 325iT from a one-owner Euro delivery receipent, but decided it was too small. Fast-forward, I found this one-owner Volvo with only 39k miles. I had it checked out by a Euro mechanic and all it needed was rear sway bar links. I bought it and here it is:

Nice and clean!

Changing the oil earlier this spring on the 540i :p

I do come from a Volvo family. I owned until 2004 a 1991 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon, we just sold my wife's 2001 S40, my parents drive a 2004 V70XC and my brother has a 2002 S60 T5.

It's a great car, drives nice, decent power and perfect for my wife. I plan on replacing the 16" wheels because I am not huge fan of them. The only "mod" I have done so far is the 35% Llumar tint.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
IMMEDIATELY
Take it to Volvo, make sure the stop neutral software has been removed from the transmission programming.
Change the tranny fluid and download any available software.
If you do some searching you will understand why I'm telling you to do this

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Welcome to the Volvo fold. Please take JRL's sound advice. The car looks good and pretty low mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Is the coasting downhill and watching if the revs drop a conclusive test to see if it was disabled or not?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Gorgeous. Follow JRL's advice and the tranny will last 200k plus. Ignore it and it will die at 80k. With new wheels slap some lowering coils on it. Not much compromise in ride with a huge boost in sexy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gorgeous. Follow JRL's advice and the tranny will last 200k plus. Ignore it and it will die at 80k. With new wheels slap some lowering coils on it. Not much compromise in ride with a huge boost in sexy.
That's my plan. Right now it looks a little plain jane. I will have the transmission software checked out. I do think it has been done, it is totally smooth and no jerkiness at all from take off.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If so, that's great, but now's the time for some new fluid
DO NOT listen to anything anyone from Volvo says about lifetime fluid
It's 11-12 years old and needs to be changed ASAP.

Also now would be a great time to change all fluids, coolant, brake fluid, etc

·
Registered
238 Posts
very nice!

That is a heluva find! 01 with that low miles one owner... WOW!

Yep, JRL is spot on about the trans. They can be a pain in that arse...

Always luved those V70 wagons! yeah that will look sharp dropped on some different wheels.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What a beautiful T5 ! Love the color on the wagon.
welcome to SS

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If so, that's great, but now's the time for some new fluid
DO NOT listen to anything anyone from Volvo says about lifetime fluid
It's 11-12 years old and needs to be changed ASAP.
The 2001 V70 T5 owned by my parents (OSD purchase) has over 110K miles now, never changed the tranny fluid (per dealer recommendation) and it still drive/shifts like new (yes, I drove it myself hundreds of miles when new as well as a few hundred miles last summer when it was still well over 100K miles).

Just sayin... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts