SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Sorry that this has to be my first post but we are in a quandary and need some insight ASAP!

The short story: We have a First Edition XC90 that qualifies as a lemon under our state laws and I need to decide whether to request a full repurchase, or something else.

The long story: We ended up with a First Edition XC90 and received it in June 2015. We would not have normally gotten a First Edition but were expecting our fourth child in May, so absolutely needed a 7 seater, and wanted to stay with Volvo, so the First Edition was our only XC90 option with the right delivery time.

We absolutely loved it, but suddenly the battery went dead in September, with about 850 miles on it. Then a couple weeks later, smoke started coming out from under the front passenger seat and the audio system was completely blown. Then in early November, once the rains started (we live in a very rainy city!) we opened the trunk and water started pouring out. Water was pooling in the back. Looked exactly like the picture bolin78 posted. The dealer thought they had fixed it but two days later, when the rains were back, same problem. Everything was saturated, floor, walls, ceiling.

We last saw the vehicle more than a month ago. Two weeks ago, once we had accumulated more than the 30d required to file a lemon law claim in our state, I told Volvo I wanted a repurchase [edit: oops, mean replacement]. After hearing absolutely nothing for weeks, this weekend I told them we just wanted our money back.

Finally, the dealer got in touch with me today. They said that they had fixed something in the sunroof that was causing the leaking. It required an unusual (unspecified) modification. They said they could not replace the vehicle because every single XC90 on the market would have exactly the same problem!!!! They asked me to think about wanted to do and said that I probably could pick up the vehicle tomorrow.

I am torn between just asking for the money back or trying to negotiate a large credit. We are sad because we love the car (when it works!) and are in no mood to go back to square 1 with the car shopping, but with four young children, safety and reliability are critical, and the number of similar issues that have been posted online make me nervous that this won't be the end of it.

Curious to hear what others would do in our shoes.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I love my XC90 but I wouldn't keep a car that had a defect like that. I'm sure it's frustrating on many levels and it seems that you picked one of the short straws of the thousands that went out. Before speaking to the Volvo dealership, I'd probably look at the Q7 just to check the competition (they do have similar features, price and safety results). I'd probably still purchase another XC90 figuring that the likelihood of having this problem again is much smaller. Keeping that vehicle would not be an option for me, especially with the law on my side. Good luck on whichever path you decide. Volvo really should take these vehicles back and give them a thorough inspection and extended limited warranty for this item to the next owner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry that this has to be my first post but we are in a quandary and need some insight ASAP!

The short story: We have a First Edition XC90 that qualifies as a lemon under our state laws and I need to decide whether to request a full repurchase, or something else.

The long story: We ended up with a First Edition XC90 and received it in June 2015. We would not have normally gotten a First Edition but were expecting our fourth child in May, so absolutely needed a 7 seater, and wanted to stay with Volvo, so the First Edition was our only XC90 option with the right delivery time.

We absolutely loved it, but suddenly the battery went dead in September, with about 850 miles on it. Then a couple weeks later, smoke started coming out from under the front passenger seat and the audio system was completely blown. Then in early November, once the rains started (we live in a very rainy city!) we opened the trunk and water started pouring out. Water was pooling in the back. Looked exactly like the picture bolin78 posted. The dealer thought they had fixed it but two days later, when the rains were back, same problem. Everything was saturated, floor, walls, ceiling.

We last saw the vehicle more than a month ago. Two weeks ago, once we had accumulated more than the 30d required to file a lemon law claim in our state, I told Volvo I wanted a repurchase. After hearing absolutely nothing for weeks, this weekend I told them we just wanted our money back.

Finally, the dealer got in touch with me today. They said that they had fixed something in the sunroof that was causing the leaking. It required an unusual (unspecified) modification. They said they could not replace the vehicle because every single XC90 on the market would have exactly the same problem!!!! They asked me to think about wanted to do and said that I probably could pick up the vehicle tomorrow.

I am torn between just asking for the money back or trying to negotiate a large credit. We are sad because we love the car (when it works!) and are in no mood to go back to square 1 with the car shopping, but with four young children, safety and reliability are critical, and the number of similar issues that have been posted online make me nervous that this won't be the end of it.

Curious to hear what others would do in our shoes.

Many thanks.
This is one time to hire an attorney. Most states require Volvo to pick up the fees when you win your case. I would proceed ASAP because despite what many say here this company had big time issues with this car. I would try and get paid while the company is still solvent. No way I would accept a new car and let the clock start again. The company is crazy for putting out this many cars with known issues.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Get something else now and wait with the XC90 purchase while Volvo sorts out the bugs and flaws of the 1st year. Scary what your dealer said about all other XC90's on the market having the same problem. This would indicate we will see a bunch of these cars coming in with water damage.

Those of you who return your XC90's should post the VIN numbers so that potential buyers in the future are informed of the issues. In fact, I think I will start another thread on this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Walk away from that vehicle! It is done. I've had a similar situation with another Brand (not to the extend you've had) and a letter faxed to the president of the USA corp and to the chairman of the board got my problem resolved in a matter of days. You need to get to the right person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealership is not the one deciding whether to buy the car back, Volvo is. I laughed when I read their comment. If you are in a loaner vehicle, you will probably have to return it now your vehicle is repaired, otherwise per your work order, they can charge you daily for the unreturned vehicle. You may also be charged a storage fee for leaving your car at the dealership over a certain amount of time.

Like others have stated, a lawyer is going to be the best route, as they will know the exact process on how to go about starting the process. You should expect Volvo/dealership not to be nice to you, but remember this isn't about being nice. They are looking to keep as much money as possible, you are trying to protect your family. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
This is one time to hire an attorney. Most states require Volvo to pick up the fees when you win your case. I would proceed ASAP because despite what many say here this company had big time issues with this car. I would try and get paid while the company is still solvent. No way I would accept a new car and let the clock start again. The company is crazy for putting out this many cars with known issues.
Solvent?

LOL.

Fear monger much?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would try and get paid while the company is still solvent.
I understand you are bitter that your XC90 did not work out for you, even though you were made whole at the end of the day. However this is one of the silliest and most misleading posts I have read on this forum.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Everyone do this thread and every other thread pertaining to XC90 issues a favor and just ignore tarrbot
I'm no Volvo fan boy advocate.

In fact, I've gone toe to toe with GrecianVolvo in mudslinging fests in the past. I'm sure he (and others) can back that up.

I'm just not a fan of ignorant savages making up BS facts about any company. It reeks of all the mindless BS folks made up about the XBox 360 failures. You will not get an accurate accounting of what's going on with a product by just spouting BS.

And if you don't like my comments, yes, please do me a favor and and yes, ignore my posts.

I'll be glad to help you but not if you want to be a bombastic irritant and whine like a little school girl that someone isn't helping you quick enough.

In fact, I tried to show you personally an issue with your statement about it being a lemon according to Texas law but you shook it off.

You don't want help. You want someone to kiss your butt and a place you can cry without people calling you on it.

And sometimes, that's all people need.

At least be honest about it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm no Volvo fan boy advocate.

In fact, I've gone toe to toe with GrecianVolvo in mudslinging fests in the past. I'm sure he (and others) can back that up.

I'm just not a fan of ignorant savages making up BS facts about any company. It reeks of all the mindless BS folks made up about the XBox 360 failures. You will not get an accurate accounting of what's going on with a product by just spouting BS.

And if you don't like my comments, yes, please do me a favor and and yes, ignore my posts.

I'll be glad to help you but not if you want to be a bombastic irritant and whine like a little school girl that someone isn't helping you quick enough.

In fact, I tried to show you personally an issue with your statement about it being a lemon according to Texas law but you shook it off.

You don't want help. You want someone to kiss your butt and a place you can cry without people calling you on it.

And sometimes, that's all people need.

At least be honest about it.
You've got people here that have had terrible issues with a car (people that actually own the car), some have come here to ask advice about lemon laws and manufacturer buy backs, many are clearly upset and blowing off steam by telling everyone about the problems that they are having, and all you want to do is pick apart one word or sentence that someone writes so that you can be "right" and proclaim to the forum that "that's not how this works" and that they are absurd because I guess it gives you a good feeling about yourself. If someone makes a dumb blanket statement about the brand, who cares? This is an internet forum, this is not an article in the local newspaper and we are in the year 2015 last time i checked. You don't know them or their situation outside of this forum and in the real world.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The dealer seems to have spent some time working on the issue. If I were you, I'd give them one more shot. Pick up the car, don't leave unless everything is perfect and give it a shot.
If everything continues working perfectly, great, it's fixed. If you continue to have further issues, I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them to contact VCNA for a buyback and that you absolutely will not accept the same car back after the numerous fixes.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You've got people here that have had terrible issues with a car (people that actually own the car), some have come here to ask advice about lemon laws and manufacturer buy backs, many are clearly upset and blowing off steam by telling everyone about the problems that they are having, and all you want to do is pick apart one word or sentence that someone writes so that you can be "right" and proclaim to the forum that "that's not how this works" and that they are absurd because I guess it gives you a good feeling about yourself. If someone makes a dumb blanket statement about the brand, who cares? This is an internet forum, this is not an article in the local newspaper and we are in the year 2015 last time i checked. You don't know them or their situation outside of this forum and in the real world.
I don't know. I think Tarrbot is right in this situation. Volvo is not going bankrupt tomorrow and the bar for repurchase should be high, not low. The tone lately here has been that the sky is falling. Sure, member like yourself are having real problems, but this isn't endemic of all XC90's. It seems that the other poster would be happy if all XC90 owners were as unhappy as he/she is...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know. I think Tarrbot is right in this situation. Volvo is not going bankrupt tomorrow and the bar for repurchase should be high, not low. The tone lately here has been that the sky is falling. Sure, member like yourself are having real problems, but this isn't endemic of all XC90's. It seems that the other poster would be happy if all XC90 owners were as unhappy as he/she is...
Well of course tarrbot is right, that was a dumb overblown statement (made by someone who's car was lemon'd, mind you) It's the fact that tarrbot is clearly trolling. If you want the definition of a troll on the internet, there you go.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Well of course tarrbot is right, that was a dumb overblown statement (made by someone who's car was lemon'd, mind you) It's the fact that tarrbot is clearly trolling. If you want the definition of a troll on the internet, there you go.
Not a troll. Just have a sensitive BS-ometer. :thumbup:

For every one person who screams murder, you have 2 uninformed people who want to believe it and then spread it like it's gospel.

I truly hope you can find a solution in your vehicles. Honestly.

Especially since I will likely be buying an S90 (I get to see it in a few weeks in person) and want what's best. I truly hope people get the car they expected. I'm not out here hoping the world takes a dump on anyone.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Everyone do this thread and every other thread pertaining to XC90 issues a favor and just ignore tarrbot
Block him with the ignore feature, I did.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i think you have already decided what you need to do. As long as your documentation is in check, its time to walk across the bridge of communication between the dealer and VCNA made with you and be made whole. To those who said give them another shot at repairing, I think for others it may suffice, but the vehicle owner does not want that. He or she wants a luxury vehicle that they have peace of mind with and if that requires a new vehicle, so be it. This applies to both luxury or economy vehicles.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
To those who said give them another shot at repairing, I think for others it may suffice, but the vehicle owner does not want that.
So why is OP here asking for opinions? I think OP is unsure of what to do and some say ditch the Volvo and some say give it another shot. Exactly what OP was looking for...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The dealer seems to have spent some time working on the issue. If I were you, I'd give them one more shot. Pick up the car, don't leave unless everything is perfect and give it a shot.
If everything continues working perfectly, great, it's fixed. If you continue to have further issues, I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them to contact VCNA for a buyback and that you absolutely will not accept the same car back after the numerous fixes.
+1
Try for one last time and let them know that you are being patient for the last time and if not fixed expect to have a brand new xc90 delivered instead or file for a lawsuit.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts