SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recapping my journey; steps taken, where I did research, what I learned, and some tips
1. We chose an S80 T6 after driving just about every AWD sedan offered
2. We tried real hard to find the car on a dealer lot anywhere in the western US or inbound, but were unable, and finally decide to do overseas.
3. Even though we had done this before, I spent lots of time exploring these web sites: This forum, flyvolvo.com, Volvo.com (US and global sites). I also like Edmunds.com, to compare TMV to the purchase price, and to read consumer reviews – I don’t really put much stock in the opinions of “professionals.” Tons of information is available to help you with the process, options, pricing, and any special offers available. The price is set by Volvo and fixed. The only thing you need to add is your jurisdictions sales tax and registration fees. If a dealer wants to add D&H, walk away.
4. Working with the OSD price and accessories lists from Williams’s web site (one of the sales guys lurking on this forum), we configured and priced our car, and developed our list of questions. Flyvolvo.com is very helpful.
5. After giving the local dealer an opportunity, we chose to work with William. However you choose to purchase, that sales person should be able to answer all your questions, get pictures of wheels, trim, colors, accessories, etc. William has been great with questions, and very patient. Keep in mind that an OSD sale allows you more customizing options than buying off the lot. Don’t settle if you’re not comfortable with the sales person. It’s always a red flag if you know more about the process than they do.
6. We started planning our trip long before the order was placed.
7. I placed the order with William on Sept 1, and paid the $2000 deposit. William suggested the earliest delivery date would be Nov 1.
8. I contacted Volvo travel same day the order was placed, to talk about our plans and options. They can’t reserve anything until Volvo accepts and confirms the order. They don’t book until 30-45 days out, when the car is paid for
9. We had our confirmation and order number a few days later, and received the official confirmation mail from Volvo about 2 weeks after ordering.
10. Due to work schedules, we had to delay our travels to December; William reset the delivery date with the factory.
11. Volvo travel reserved our trip: We’ll fly SAS into Rome, spend 4 nights there and then fly to Gothenburg for 3 nights, and back home from Gothenburg. Volvo covers our trip into Rome plus 2 nights in Gothenburg and our trip home from Gothenburg. We pay for the time in Rome and flight from Rome to Gothenburg.
12. We received our VIN early October.
13. Got the call to pay up on Oct 23, for a Dec 11 delivery in Sweden. Confirmed that Volvo’s lender understands the program and doesn’t ask for insurance coverage, titles, etc until the car hits US soil. That helps a lot - saves some cash on unnecessary car insurance premiums.
14. I expect trip booked confirmation within the next 10 days and we may explore seat upgrades through OptionTown
15. Now we wait until it’s time to fly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Great information......thanks. Who was your lender???

Where did you travel (places, cities) and how long was your first OSD?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Did you use corporate travel for the Rome/Gothenburg connection?

Did you check out Optiontown?

The first "waiting" is almost over...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
financed thru US Bank at 3.24%. Could have had 2.9 but I wanted to put more down.
Lat trip was 3 nights in Barcelona folowed by a 7 night drive around south/central Sweden to Stochholm and back.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you use corporate travel for the Rome/Gothenburg connection?

Did you check out Optiontown?

The first "waiting" is almost over...
Yes, Corporate travel reserved all the flights. Can't check Option Town until I have booked seats - maybe next week

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
16. Car payment arrangements have been completed with Volvo
17. All our travel arrangements are now booked
18. Pursuit of flight cabin upgrades through Option Town are in place. $202 for Eco Extra, $450 for business class - per traveler, each way
...............................32 days to departure

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Reminder......contact all credit cards and banks with information regarding your travel dates and destinations.........

We are getting excited with you!!! :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reminder......contact all credit cards and banks with information regarding your travel dates and destinations.........

We are getting excited with you!!! :)
Good tp....Did that a couple weeks ago when I requested the PIN

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 2:
19. made that first car payment today. It just feels odd to write that check when you haven't even seen the car yet. :rolleyes:
21. 21 days from today, we're in Rome. :cool:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Nice....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Have fun. Grab an extra meatball at lunch for me!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
too funny. my wife is planning our itinery around that meatball lunch
Makes sense with the timing of the factory tour.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Well things are getting exciting............the wait is getting shorter and shorter!!! :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
financed thru US Bank at 3.24%. Could have had 2.9 but I wanted to put more down.
Lat trip was 3 nights in Barcelona followed by a 7 night drive around south/central Sweden to Stockholm and back.
I would love to hear more about the 7 night drive around Sweden and time spent in Stockholm (where did you travel and what were the highlights?).........a second OSD is in the back of my head some day and this sounds inviting. I would also like to hear about a possible trip to Norway to see the Fjords if someone has done that excursion....

What date in December do you fly out???

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would love to hear more about the 7 night drive around Sweden and time spent in Stockholm (where did you travel and what were the highlights?).........a second OSD is in the back of my head some day and this sounds inviting. I would also like to hear about a possible trip to Norway to see the Fjords if someone has done that excursion....

What date in December do you fly out???
We fly on Dec 5, arrive in Rome on the 6th for 4 nights. Don't get to Sweden until the 10th. See the car on the 11th.

Our first trip was pretty loose. The only reservations we had where for our 1st and last night, both in Goteborg. It's been awhile, so some of the details have faded from memory, but we do have a journal. Some of the key towns we went through were Karlstad & Orebro on our way to Stockholm. The return trip took us through Nykoping, Kalmar & Oland, then Vaxjo before going back to Goteborg. Saw lots of slotts, most were closed. No trouble finding a room until we got close to Stockholm where we had to settle on a room that overlooked the inside of a shopping mall - it also had a portal window in the shower that looked into the hotel room. We still laugh at that. Most memorable locale was Kalmar and the drive around OLand. The Kalmar Slott is one of the best we saw and the island of Oland has rune stones along the road. Really cool area.

This time we're planning on three nights in Goteborg to explore the town since we didnt really spend much time there last round.

About 10 days to go I think...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update #3
22. Sent email to FDC to provide flight information and get our Volvo provided transfers in Goteborg in place - Volvo replied with confirmation
23. Confirmed our accomodations in Rome, arranged airport transfer with the Hotel, and arranged for a little birthday surprise for my wife
24. We have all our tourist information assembled for both Rome and Goteborg
25. All the documents required for travel, including the Volvo paper work have been assembled
26. Euros and Swedish Kroner have been obtained
25. 1 week from today we load the suitcases and try to get a decent nigths sleep before we head off to the airport the next morning

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Three more days..........

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is making me jealous! :) We were thinking of doing a 2nd OSD in a couple of years, but think it will be longer. I'm currently deployed, and there is great deal on an XC90 that is looking too good to pass up. On the bright side, I'll get the XC90, which I drove for all but 10 of the European miles. (And loved every one of them!) Have fun!!!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
This is making me jealous! :) We were thinking of doing a 2nd OSD in a couple of years, but think it will be longer. I'm currently deployed, and there is great deal on an XC90 that is looking too good to pass up. On the bright side, I'll get the XC90, which I drove for all but 10 of the European miles. (And loved every one of them!) Have fun!!!
Thank you for your service...........be safe while deployed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts