SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our XC to Florida for Spring Break and it ended up in a shop in Jacksonville. Gabriel the owner of Autobahn of Jacksonville hooked it up to Vida and it revealed a misfire in Cylinder 4. Compression test has it at 30 psi and leak down test revealed an exhaust valve leak. The engine has 251k miles and we are opting to change the entire engine rather than doing a head job. What is the going rate for parts and labor to complete this job? He is suppose to call me Monday to give me a quote. I just want to be prepared for the upcoming wallet buster.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Your wallet will not hold the cost of a replacement engine, but your credit card will enable it. Had an acquaintance spend about $4k for a used engine + labor--thought that was a good deal, but just one data point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True Dat! My Amex card is ready and primed. Ha! I just found a low mileage 2.5 engine at erievovo for $1,500 with only 46k miles.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a 1998 S70 GLT with 190K with burned exhaust valve #3.
I unplugged the connector to fuel injector #3 and drove for a year.
Then the trans went south (lost reverse), I traded it in for $300, bought a 2004 V70.

So, yes, you can unplug the connector to fuel injector #3 and drive home.
It will be a bit rough at idle but on highway, it will be fine.

I posted the info here:

Driving with a burned exhaust valve
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74171&start=40

PS: Labor for replacing engine is about 10-12 h (5-6 h to remove and 5-6 h to install).
Once you get home, search for a low-mileage engine such as one with an accident and transplant BOTH the engine + trans.
This is bc at 250K miles, your trans is on borrowed time too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts