SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my mother's 2007 S80, made a lane change and was hit in the rear by a blonde girl with tattoos, piercings and a very unpleasant mouth.

I was the one that was found at fault by the police officer!! There were 4 eyewitnesses who the girl had been chatting it up with before the cop arrived, who claimed that it was my fault for changing lanes quickly, when in all reality I changed safely, and was a full car length into the lane before she actually hit me. I'm suspicious that she was texting. :mad:

I got a ticket for "failing to yield."

I'll get pics when I get my camera cord.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was driving my mother's 2007 S80, made a lane change and was hit in the rear by a blonde girl with tattoos, piercings and a very unpleasant mouth.

I was the one that was found at fault by the police officer!! There were 4 eyewitnesses who the girl had been chatting it up with before the cop arrived, who claimed that it was my fault for changing lanes quickly, when in all reality I changed safely, and was a full car length into the lane before she actually hit me. I'm suspicious that she was texting. :mad:

I got a ticket for "failing to yield."

I'll get pics when I get my camera cord.
OK - questions?

The blonde with the tats - How did she look ?
Did you mention to the cop that you think she was texting? (Note the time of the collision ALWAYS; so you can make the accusation (of texting) and instruct the cop to check her phone)
The up side is it was your moms S80 and not your R (going by your sig)
I also assume no one was hurt and that is the bottom line.
By the way if she rear ended you... and you could have got the cop to check / verify she was texting your neck and back should be in a lot of pain.
Hope it all works out OK for you and the car.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Just got an email from my granddaughter - she rear-ended a car but the cop working the bender was a buddy of her probation officer and gave her a break.

She was in a rush to make her abortion appointment having just finished a series of antibiotics at the free clinic for infections following failed tattoo removal.

The other driver got a citation but can for sure afford it looking at the fancy Volvo he was driving.

She said he was a really nice looking dude and was gonna look him up once I got her car repaired.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just got an email from my granddaughter - she rear-ended a car but the cop working the bender was a buddy of her probation officer and gave her a break.

She was in a rush to make her abortion appointment having just finished a series of antibiotics at the free clinic for infections following failed tattoo removal.

The other driver got a citation but can for sure afford it looking at the fancy Volvo he was driving.

She said he was a really nice looking dude and was gonna look him up once I got her car repaired.

George Dill
Ha Ha ha --- Hopefully they will hook up after the antibiotics have done the job. Ha ha ha

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - questions?

The blonde with the tats - How did she look ?
Did you mention to the cop that you think she was texting? (Note the time of the collision ALWAYS; so you can make the accusation (of texting) and instruct the cop to check her phone)
The up side is it was your moms S80 and not your R (going by your sig)
I also assume no one was hurt and that is the bottom line.
By the way if she rear ended you... and you could have got the cop to check / verify she was texting your neck and back should be in a lot of pain.
Hope it all works out OK for you and the car.
She was fairly attractive minus the piercings and tattoos. Unfortunately I didn't mention texting to the officer and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced she was distracted by something, whether it be texting, calling, etc. And witnesses certainly wouldn't be able to testify to that since that's the last thing they were paying attention to when the accident happened.

Good points, it really is a matter of perspective. It was indeed the S80 and not the R, plus I am glad I was in a Volvo and not another car. I'm totally fine, not that the accident was that severe anyway, but you never know. And I appreciate the post.

And George, that's a funny story. It's interesting since it reminds me of a friend of mine who does modeling. She rear-ended a guy, and the guy not only didn't charge for any of the damage (granted it was a minor collision), but also asked her out on a date once he obtained her phone number. Funny how people work sometimes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tats and piercings aren't my thing on females - how ever I do like a belly button ring on a nice flat stomach - extra couple on the ears are ok - but when they go with the rest of the face, nips or nether-regions I have to opt out.

As to hooking up - a mans got to do what a mans got to do -(single guys that is) :D

Glad your OK

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just found out that the girl is trying to say she was pregnant and had to go to the hospital etc.

I find it pretty ridiculous, when she was so irate about what happened, and so filthy about it all as well. She never mentioned she was pregnant, either. And if she was so concerned about her "child" (by the way she was slim as they come), then shouldn't she have had an ambulance come right away? Instead of waiting it out until the very end when all that was left for me to do was write my police report? I would think that's telling of itself where her priorities are.

Insurance will cover $3k of damage to her vehicle etc. (she also is trying to charge for towing which I find funny, since she was able to drive her car perfectly fine into the parking lot where the officer had us gather), and anything over that I have to pay. Going to be meeting with the insurance adjustor tomorrow to discuss this. Damage to her car wasn't bad at all. A slightly bent-inward headlight (not shattered) and the bumper got crunched in a bit on one side was about the extent of visible damage, she didn't hit me square in the rear of my car, almost exclusively to the corner of her vehicle. She was in a bigger Honda SUV.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Jexx - Lawyer UP ASAP!

Do not settle on anything with anyone; your insurance or hers.
Pregnant? - If she really is, she should have requested to go to the hospital immediately - (afterthought or a con job starting to form - maybe?)
If she was as thin as a rail, she can't be that far along and chances are nothing is wrong with her illegitimate embryo.
As described; sounds like she pays more attention to her piercings and tats than prenatal care and food. (Crack addict?)

I hate to say it but this is gonna cost you. especially since you got the ticket.

Rule ONE in any car accident is to be the one to make accusations - Even if you were at fault. (not saying you were) Offence is always the best defense!
She hit you. She was going to fast - failure to stop - texting - Driver Seat dancing - talking - putting on make-up, etc...
NOTE the time immediately.
Keep witnesses at bay from both you and the other driver in the accident.
(Sounded like she new what she was doing by "chatting it up" with the other "witnesses")

As to your insurance - Why would they only cover $3K worth of her damage? (Nothing ever comes out of my pocket for the other driver)
I don't know what kind of company or coverage you have (not my business) but sounds kind of weak.
I hope your insurance company is prepared to pay up on the injuries - (Just in case her lawyer is good - you know she will be getting one)

Lawyer up - get some professional advice, maybe a bit of an investigation into her background, driving record and more; (the other witnesses need to be contacted to and leaned on a little as to we will see you in court) this may cost you a bit now but could save tons in the long run.

Real sorry to hear about this - I despise people who try to take advantage of others like this - I hope it works out OK for you.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It's not necessary to get a lawyer unless she actually tries to claim more than just the damage to the car. Jumping the gun and talking to someone could just be a waste of money. You aren't at a disadvantage if you wait to see if she makes any bodily injury claims before you get representation.

If she does claim bodily injury there's a chance your insurance company will require you to get a lawyer or depending on your state the insurance company will be the one to go to court.

Side note, I know this woman hit one of our members but there are some really crappy and unnecessary comments in this thread. Nothing about having tattoos or piercings suggests that she's a crack addict, that her child is illegitimate, that she's on a bender, is getting an abortion, uses free clinic, etc.

Also, if she hit you from behind as you were changing lanes then your suspicions of her texting appear to be groundless. Hurling accusations is not always the best way to go unless you have a really stupid cop on your hands. If you start making claims that don't seem to make sense, as in you would have no way of knowing the information, then a cop may see right through your b.s. Not to mention the fact that your accusations become part of the police report and if that gets in front of a judge they are far more likely to question your credibility.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's not necessary to get a lawyer unless she actually tries to claim more than just the damage to the car. Jumping the gun and talking to someone could just be a waste of money. You aren't at a disadvantage if you wait to see if she makes any bodily injury claims before you get representation.

If she does claim bodily injury there's a chance your insurance company will require you to get a lawyer or depending on your state the insurance company will be the one to go to court.

Side note, I know this woman hit one of our members but there are some really crappy and unnecessary comments in this thread. Nothing about having tattoos or piercings suggests that she's a crack addict, that her child is illegitimate, that she's on a bender, is getting an abortion, uses free clinic, etc.

Also, if she hit you from behind as you were changing lanes then your suspicions of her texting appear to be groundless. Hurling accusations is not always the best way to go unless you have a really stupid cop on your hands. If you start making claims that don't seem to make sense, as in you would have no way of knowing the information, then a cop may see right through your b.s. Not to mention the fact that your accusations become part of the police report and if that gets in front of a judge they are far more likely to question your credibility.
I hope you understand that some of the commentary was "tongue in cheek" when referring to the upstanding female driver.

As to the lawyer - I still say be prepared or why would she be informing you that she is pregnant, etc... Start networking via friends and family for a lawyer.
I have been around a long time and I have seen many people get bent over by people who seem fine one moment and then they come at you with their lawyers and insurance companies guns a blazing.

As to hurling accusations: you got to cover your self and chances are she was texting - I'm sure that is plausible that you used your mirrors to see she wasn't paying attention as she was barreling down on your bumper. Then the cop could of checked and what's the worse thing that could have happened at that point? Oh no she wasn't and you still end up with the ticket that you feel you didn't deserve. Who gives a crap what the cop thinks about you - unless you attack him he has little to no bearing on the case.
I can't tell you how many females are always weaving and texting on my 50 mile commute to work.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Calling something "tongue and cheek" doesn't excuse inappropriate and potentially offensive comments. Your continued generalization of women suggests you clearly don't get that. Yes, females text while driving but so do males because PEOPLE text while driving. Maybe as a male you perceive it a certain way because you're biased but texting while driving is not exclusive to women (there's actually suggestion out there that it's more of a problem with men than women).

Chances are she was texting? How would you even know that? Any suggestion that you can see a person texting as they are coming up behind you while you are driving is a little ridiculous. If you had time to see her texting in your mirrors you had time to avoid the accident by either moving or speeding up. If you're staring at your mirrors for that long then you also aren't paying attention to the road in front of you and you're just as much of a hazard as anyone who is texting.

Again, there is really no timing issue with the lawyers. Cases do not move through the court system at any sort of rapid pace and there are statutory procedures/protections in place to make sure that other parties can't do things like prepare an entire case ahead of time and then spring it on you last minute in an effort to win. It's simply not how the legal system works. Any evidence they gather, any document they present, pretty much ANYTHING must be presented to the other side and will be a part of discovery. Unless you're in a situation where your reaction to certain people or your immediate actions could have legal consequences, such as situations where you are being threatened with harassment suits by someone you must interact with on a daily basis, talking to a lawyer before anything happens or is filed will likely just end up being a waste of money. In the case of hospital visits you can't force the other side to see a physician of your choosing before a case anyway. If it goes to court you can do that or at least have a physician of your choosing review medical records but there's nothing you can do right now to stop her from pursuing something if she wants to...with the exception of an out of court settlement.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
OK - looks like someone wizzed in your Wheaties ...

First of all this is an open public forum - and I pretty much have the right to say what ever I want as long as I don't push it too far - the moderators also have the right and ability to remove the post and ban members if they deem it necessary - It's a little thing called the "First Amendment" - read up on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Two - the OP mentioned and I quote " I'm suspicious that she was texting. :mad:" So you better jump on his case about his suspicions.
Three - Yes the court system isn't moving at the speed of sound - but if by the next day the OP heard that the other driver is pregnant and had to go to the hospital... I would bet my bottom dollar that she will be looking for more than just having her car repaired.

I wonder why George's post (third from the top) which was pretty hard core - funny as hell - but a bit rougher around the edges than mine hasn't gotten your panties in a bunch.

I really don't know why this offends you so much; nor do I care - all I can say is damn man - chill out and change the channel if you don't like what is on.

OP - do what you want or you feel is in your best interest once weighing all your options financially, ethnically and morally...
I truly hope you can get through this without a big stink and I also hope that he female and her fetus are fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just found out that the girl is trying to say she was pregnant and had to go to the hospital etc.

I find it pretty ridiculous, when she was so irate about what happened, and so filthy about it all as well. She never mentioned she was pregnant, either. And if she was so concerned about her "child" (by the way she was slim as they come), then shouldn't she have had an ambulance come right away? Instead of waiting it out until the very end when all that was left for me to do was write my police report? I would think that's telling of itself where her priorities are.

Insurance will cover $3k of damage to her vehicle etc. (she also is trying to charge for towing which I find funny, since she was able to drive her car perfectly fine into the parking lot where the officer had us gather), and anything over that I have to pay. Going to be meeting with the insurance adjustor tomorrow to discuss this. Damage to her car wasn't bad at all. A slightly bent-inward headlight (not shattered) and the bumper got crunched in a bit on one side was about the extent of visible damage, she didn't hit me square in the rear of my car, almost exclusively to the corner of her vehicle. She was in a bigger Honda SUV.
OP - you sound like a spoiled little kid.
Facts to back up my statement:

1. You drive your mom's S80 and in a manner that causes it to be damaged.

2. A woman (not a girl as you like to call females) is not going to discuss her pregnancy with some idiot kid that cuts her off. Unfortunately, early pregnancies cannot be helped if a woman's body is damaged, so rushing to the ER would solve nothing. You act like you have no real life experience with pregnancies.

3. Had you actually managed to safely change lanes, the damage on the cars would have been square. You state the damage was mostly on her corner. You are sure she was texting, but you don't say she swerved to miss you, so your car appears to be out of lane. Kids poke their mom's cars where there isn't room and falsely believe if someone rear ends me, I'm not at fault.

4. Believing external damage is representative of all damage incurred in the accident indicates you have no idea the true cost of automobile repairs, and therefore makes you spoiled.

I think a lawyer would help you immensely, if only to tell you to stop driving in a manner that incurs liability and to shut your mouth unless you are talking to your insurance company or your lawyer.

I hope you learn from this experience that driving is more than just being right, it's about figuring out what the other guy is going to do and keeping yourself out of trouble. And it's about not being a spoiled little kid.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^Well that's certainly a different perspective.

If it were me, ummm you know what you were doing and how you did it, so if you feel you were clearly in the right I'd seek some advice from an attorney. Hopefully you or a friend knows one because those dudes ain't cheap.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
OK - looks like someone wizzed in your Wheaties ...

First of all this is an open public forum - and I pretty much have the right to say what ever I want as long as I don't push it too far - the moderators also have the right and ability to remove the post and ban members if they deem it necessary - It's a little thing called the "First Amendment" - read up on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Two - the OP mentioned and I quote " I'm suspicious that she was texting. :mad:" So you better jump on his case about his suspicions.
Three - Yes the court system isn't moving at the speed of sound - but if by the next day the OP heard that the other driver is pregnant and had to go to the hospital... I would bet my bottom dollar that she will be looking for more than just having her car repaired.

I wonder why George's post (third from the top) which was pretty hard core - funny as hell - but a bit rougher around the edges than mine hasn't gotten your panties in a bunch.

I really don't know why this offends you so much; nor do I care - all I can say is damn man - chill out and change the channel if you don't like what is on.

OP - do what you want or you feel is in your best interest once weighing all your options financially, ethnically and morally...
I truly hope you can get through this without a big stink and I also hope that he female and her fetus are fine.
I never quoted you and I absolutely mentioned in my summary of the comments what George had posted as well (which for the record wasn't even a little funny). Don't assume that I was simply referring to you. I also addressed the texting issue in my first post and again, that wasn't directed at you. Nothing was directed at you until you decided to respond on behalf of the op and say that chances are she was texting.

Also, you talk of how it's a public forum and you can post what you want yet fail to realize that also means I can call whoever I want out on their b.s. comments. Just because you're allowed to be sexist doesn't mean I'm not allowed to call you out on being sexist. I also enjoy your little "first amendment" jab and all I will say is that suggesting I need to read up on it is laughable. If you don't like my criticism of your post then don't continue to engage me. It's as simple as that.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone. Fortunately personal injuries are covered on my insurance to quite a high number so it's actually not as scary as I anticipated. I might seem immature about this since this is actually my first car accident in my lifetime of driving. I'm not an aggressive driver.

OP - you sound like a spoiled little kid.
Facts to back up my statement:

1. You drive your mom's S80 and in a manner that causes it to be damaged.

2. A woman (not a girl as you like to call females) is not going to discuss her pregnancy with some idiot kid that cuts her off. Unfortunately, early pregnancies cannot be helped if a woman's body is damaged, so rushing to the ER would solve nothing. You act like you have no real life experience with pregnancies.

3. Had you actually managed to safely change lanes, the damage on the cars would have been square. You state the damage was mostly on her corner. You are sure she was texting, but you don't say she swerved to miss you, so your car appears to be out of lane. Kids poke their mom's cars where there isn't room and falsely believe if someone rear ends me, I'm not at fault.

4. Believing external damage is representative of all damage incurred in the accident indicates you have no idea the true cost of automobile repairs, and therefore makes you spoiled.

I think a lawyer would help you immensely, if only to tell you to stop driving in a manner that incurs liability and to shut your mouth unless you are talking to your insurance company or your lawyer.

I hope you learn from this experience that driving is more than just being right, it's about figuring out what the other guy is going to do and keeping yourself out of trouble. And it's about not being a spoiled little kid.
1. You didn't witness the accident so you have no say in whose fault it is and in seeing a post like this of someone asking for help, it's audacious to just smash them down when she/he wants honest advice. You could just as easily say the woman was driving improperly since if she wasn't there, the accident wouldn't have happened either. As in a fight, it takes (at least) two to make an accident. I should also mention this wasn't the woman's own SUV, and likely belonged to her boyfriend.

2. I've spoken with several older women and they all agreed that the baby would be the first thing the woman would likely scream about. And trust me, she wasn't in the mood to "discuss" anything. The first thing she'd say to me was "F*ck off" if I even tried, and trust me, I did in a polite and calm manner. As mentioned previously, at that point in her pregnancy, very little of the accident could be attributed to a possible miscarriage.

3. If you think I'm an aggressive driver when I drive a heavy S80 with 235hp, then you need to think again. Especially when I'm typically driving an R with 300hp that has never been in any accidents or received any tickets.

4. I worked at an autobody repair shop before going to college, so here the joke is seriously on you. :p Additionally, going by my post count of nearly 1,800 posts on this forum probably indicates I'm not clueless about cars, wouldn't you say?

And no kidding it's about anticipating what's going to happen. If I were in the woman's situation, I would have slowed down drastically, as it was obvious people were pulling into her lane as traffic was stacking up in the lane I was in.

I knew the "spoiled kid" vibe would come up, but really, I had the rotors removed from my R (needed replacing--I did the work myself), so I had to borrow my mother's car. I shouldn't have to say this, but I paid for my R, and no longer make payments on it.

Ultimately, Orville, you've given us a brilliant display of the fundamental attribution error: "the tendency to over-value dispositional or personality-based explanations for the observed behaviors of others while under-valuing situational explanations for those behaviors." Essentially, we tend to explain behavior in terms of internal disposition, such as personality traits, abilities, motives, etc. as opposed to external situational factors. Saying I'm a "spoiled kid" based on the few facts I've given is a prime example of the fundamental attribution error.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I never quoted you and I absolutely mentioned in my summary of the comments what George had posted as well (which for the record wasn't even a little funny). Don't assume that I was simply referring to you. I also addressed the texting issue in my first post and again, that wasn't directed at you. Nothing was directed at you until you decided to respond on behalf of the op and say that chances are she was texting.

Also, you talk of how it's a public forum and you can post what you want yet fail to realize that also means I can call whoever I want out on their b.s. comments. Just because you're allowed to be sexist doesn't mean I'm not allowed to call you out on being sexist. I also enjoy your little "first amendment" jab and all I will say is that suggesting I need to read up on it is laughable. If you don't like my criticism of your post then don't continue to engage me. It's as simple as that.
You are totally correct - you do have the right to say what you want and I have enjoyed the banter - I am also pleased that I am not the only one to tick you off.
Of course I am sexist - or as I call it "Realist" - It is what it is.

I also will state that since neither you nor I were present we will never really know exactly how the accident occurred - I don't know who is in the right or wrong - I will just assume that the OP is getting shafted and I will support him as a show of solidarity between Volvo owners. In the end none of this effects me in any way shape or form.
I am just glad that no one got seriously hurt.

I guess between us - all we can do is agree to disagree.

Have a good weekend -

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate the support, DMac. I was admittedly a bit upset in my original post, but in the end, it's life, and things happen. Gotta roll with the punches. I'm certainly a believer in Karma and believe we'll all get our just reward eventually.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So were you fully in her lane or not? Corner impact for her says you're not and therefore caused the accident. Post some pics and prove your innocent instead of a bunch of psychological bs about interpreting a story versus the facts.

Otherwise, man up and admit you caused the accident.

Oh yeah, then delete this thread because her lawyers are going to love the spoiled kid vibe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts