SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 XC60 T5 Polestar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone retrofitted front brake calipers from another vehicle manufacturer to their XC60?

I'm evaluating options to resolve the XC60's noisy brakes without spending thousands on a Polestar brake system.

·
Registered
2022 XC90 T8 Inscription, 2018 XC40 T5 R-Design, 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription
352 Posts
If your only issue is brake noise, you might be able to fix it just by changing the brake pads.

·
Registered
MY18 XC60 T5 Polestar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If your only issue is brake noise, you might be able to fix it just by changing the brake pads.
OEM, Raybestos and Textar pads all exhibit the same issue to varying degrees on my vehicle. Textar is the best of the bunch.

TJ indicates owner should accept some noise. In other words, bad design, and Volvo expects us to live with it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I see...

It seems these guys might have an alternative for the whole kit, other than the Polestar kit.

Reactions: fdryer

·
Registered
MY18 XC60 T5 Polestar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on online specs and the 322mm OD/28mm thickness, initial candidates are as follows:

Nominal
MakeModelYearThickness (mm)
VolvoXC60 spa 322mm front rotor2018-28
Saab9-7x 2006-200929
ChevTrailblazer2006-200929
BuickRainier2006-200729
GMCEnvoy XL2006-200929
BMW5 Series E60 Sedan and Wagon2004-201030
BMW6 Series E60 Sedan and Wagon2000-200330

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My issue is creep groan. It's a daily embarrassment buying my coffee via a drive-thru. Pathetic considering the cost of the vehicle.
Interesting. I would generally consider myself fairly sensitive to noises and I haven't experienced any excessive brake noise. I do think the OEM pads/rotors are made of cheese and create excessive judder, and Volvo brakes have always had dark brake dust... But I haven't experienced any excessive brake noise.

I do get annoyed by "pops" from the ball joints when making turns, too, so I do notice those types of noises. I thought my XC60 had some worn suspension components, but then I bought a second XC60 and it does the same thing!

·
Registered
MY18 XC60 T5 Polestar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. I would generally consider myself fairly sensitive to noises and I haven't experienced any excessive brake noise. I do think the OEM pads/rotors are made of cheese and create excessive judder, and Volvo brakes have always had dark brake dust... But I haven't experienced any excessive brake noise.

I do get annoyed by "pops" from the ball joints when making turns, too, so I do notice those types of noises. I thought my XC60 had some worn suspension components, but then I bought a second XC60 and it does the same thing!
No pops here...yet :) What MY, market(country) and mileage?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anyone retrofitted front brake calipers from another vehicle manufacturer to their XC60?

I'm evaluating options to resolve the XC60's noisy brakes without spending thousands on a Polestar brake system.
Very few vehicle manufacturers makes/develops any brakes at all. Its ATE TRW Brembo Galfer Bosch Continental Remsa and so on that develop the brake systems. Vehicle manuf. just chooses OE spec from choosen manufacture(s).
If your discs are glazed, swapping pads might not help reduce creep noise. Throw on cheap disc with ATE pads (ceramic perhaps) and clean all surfaces that touches the brake pads. Make shure brake piston and slide pins are in good condition.
It could also be the break master cylinder or crap in the brake lines. Then changing brakes all around would not even make a difference.
Do you have pics of your discs and used pads maybe?

I would probably live with it, be happy its not loud brake squeal.

·
Registered
MY18 XC60 T5 Polestar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure its not simply "normal" noise? The electrics super quite idle isn't masking the sounds, maybe?
I've driven many many economy vehicles over the years. My volvo brakes make more noise than any of them. I refuse to accept this noise as normal on this grade (cost) of vehicle (ICE-only T5) and in this day and age.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Video? When did you bleed your brake system last?
I am sorry to ask, but why bleeding the brake lines would relate to braking noise?

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I got a fresh batch of calipers coming from the painter soon, you are correct on the caliper source. I'd love to talk you into one. More than you want to spend...well how much would you pay to solve your problem. I spent a ton of time, designing, engineering, and testing. I started with a list of calipers and trying to fit them...that's just the beginning of the journey if you want to engineer your own brakes, you got a lot of work ahead of you! I get it, my deal is not for you if the looks, quality, brake feel and confidence don't matter to you. Just wanted to add the insight into what it takes if you want to put your own solution together. My brakes don't make noise, with the included pads or the reccomended high perf pad either.

But you don't really need that. I didn't have noise with the OEM brakes. You don't need different calipers. I am confident that 99% of noisy brakes can be solved by the right pad choice and a very thorough brake job. Noise is resonating brake pad vibrations. Clean the calipers and totally replace the slider grease, new slider pins if worn, replace bracket shims, quality grease on the backing pad (I use Brembo B-quiet), clean all hub mounting surfaces...etc. If you don't work on your own car you need someone that is not going cut any corners. All those little details matter when it comes to keeping brakes quiet. That might take some experimenting with pads, you can't always get it right by reading the Internets, sometimes you just have to try. If all else fails, I'd whip out the CRC Brake Quiet and use that on the back of the pad instead of grease. It's not supposed to be for pads with shims, but I have slienced many finnicky "street/track" pads with that.

BTW there is so much more to this...you don't want to mess up torque output and hydraulic leverage, every safety and performance system in the car depends on it, it's way more than just fitting to a rotor size. If you were going to try something, feel free to reach out if you need help. To start I made a tool a while ago so you can play with the parameters of changing brakes, to match the torque output and leverage: Upgrade Advisor

EDIT: I noticed I forgot to reccomend a pad. I would try the PowerStop Z23. It's a ceramic pad. My apologies too I see the "creep groan" was your issue, and yes that is an issue with the OEM pads. Textar pads, and maybe the Raybestos you tried were probably semi-metallics. OEMs like semi-metallics. Probably similar to the OEM pads in the propensity for the groan on release. It almost invalidates some of my advice ha, but I will leave it as is. The "creep groan" is all about pad choice pretty much. Try the PowerStop pads, they will get rid of that. Worked for me with the OEM brakes, and it's what I use in the brake kit, the brakes are silent.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts