SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Trying to get in the know regarding all of the darn bushings that need to be replaced or upgraded. What is currently bothering me are the substantial amount of vibrations present in my steering wheel. The thing has a few good millimeters of travel on rough roads, and the car does not deserve to ride like this any longer. Suspension is fresh as of April, albeit stiffer now that it is on IPD springs. Putting in the IPD Poly top mount (former OEM replacement lasted one year) and poly strut bar mount inserts today or this weekend having just replaced the transmission torque mount, but I know there must be more of these rubber mofos hiding somewhere.

PS, torque mounts are available on Amazon Prime for $28. Definitely buying the IPD Billet replacement soon as my seemingly original mount was just fine in the front half.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I'm not sure replacing rubber bushings with poly bushings is necessarily the ticket for reducing vibrations felt through the wheel, unless you've got a failed rubber bushing causing the vibrations.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you mean, however it isn't a sensation of the road that bothers me or vibrations at idle, it is the amount of vertical movement in the steering column that I have never witnessed in another vehicle. Something must have failed beyond the top mount and the torque mount, and that's where my knowledge ends at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Oh, yeah, I don't think that will be addressed by upgrading to poly. That sounds like an issue with column and associated hardware. I'll bow out b/c I don't have any experience with problems in that area, but I know I've seen people talk about parts that can be replaced in the column, so I'm sure someone will step in with more knowledge.

The one thing I would say is that anything you can do to demonstrate the issue to others will help them diagnose it. Specifically, it might help to have a video showing the problem.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Are the rear position front LCA bushings poly?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
This is not likely related to engine mounts. Most likely it will be worn LCA bushings, and possibly ball joints. Less likely because they last so long on these cars, but also a possible contributor will be inner and outer tie rods.

EDIT: Just saw your above post. So that rules out LCAs as long as they were installed correctly. Check ball joints and tie rods for play.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input! Tie rods are new as well, but ball joints might accidentally be old... seems affordable on IPD for the LEMFÖRDER equipment. I am giving the R some TLC this weekend and would love to check these; any advice on how to look for play in the ball joints? I will try to snap a vid of this steering wheel commotion.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
If you see the boots are torn, you don't even need to check for play, they need to be replaced anyway. If not, here is how to check:

https://youtu.be/62bVn7E8gyk

Checking 9 and 3 o'clock will check tie rods for play. Did you place both outer and inner tie rods?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have only replaced the outers... but from visual inspection, everything looked good, ball joints surprisingly so. I went ahead and installed the IPD soft poly top mount insert as well as their strut bar mount inserts, and I have to say it is quite an upgrade. Still hoping to chest mount a gopro, just curious if stiff translates to a similar cabin in others' Rs.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah, your steering wheel shouldn't move vertically or any other which way no matter what's worn or not. Many have had the bolt loosen on them causing it to wiggle. Perhaps your telescoping lever is not snugging/locking as tight as it should? I have a tightened a few of those over the years. As to vibration in the steering wheel especially under turning load, I have found the side motor mount to be collapsed or failed. It's located on the pass side near the crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yup, that's the one. idk why there's a price difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh nice! Did not see that when I ordered my OEM replacement. Maybe use a combination of the small urethane of this mount and stock front rubber. Thanks for the link!

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts