SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my '18 XC90 into Tampa's Volvo dealer today for service and they told me they are no longer doing software updates as it's an over the air (OTA) service now when connected to wifi at home. Can't find anything online confirming this including Volvo's website saying it's a dealer installed item. My service advisor has been with Volvo a long time and she convincingly walked me through the process of connecting the car to wifi saying this saves me from having to bring it in for software updates. Anyone else hear this? I must have missed something because if this is true, this is a major change.

Update: My service advisor said that the bulletin regarding the change in software delivery is very new (within the last two weeks).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Took my '18 XC90 into Tampa's Volvo dealer today for service and they told me they are no longer doing software updates as it's an over the air (OTA) service now when connected to wifi at home. Can't find anything online confirming this including Volvo's website saying it's a dealer installed item. My service advisor has been with Volvo a long time and she convincingly walked me through the process of connecting the car to wifi saying this saves me from having to bring it in for software updates. Anyone else hear this? I must have missed something because if this is true, this is a major change.

Update: My service advisor said that the bulletin regarding the change in software delivery is very new (within the last two weeks).
I have a feeling they are referencing the fact that Map Updates can be done OTA, and are trying to avoid having to perform any actual software updates for free outside of when you bring your car in for the scheduled maintenance intervals. Volvo informed dealers a few weeks ago that dealers will no longer be reimbursed for providing software updates, as they will stop "free software updates for life' company-wide. There is a thread on this already. Unless this is true and this was the reason for cancelling free updates as part of volvo's service promise, I have a feeling the dealer just doesn't want to tell you the current situation, nor charge you for updates when customers were promised them free from the beginning.

(I for one hope they are telling you accurate info, as I would love to have OTA updates moving forward!)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
They are lying through their teeth or they don't know squat. Either way, beware.

The only OTA updates are map and Sensus apps. These have been available OTA for quite a while.
Maps can also be updated through a USB drive. There are instructions on this forum on how to do it (it's very easy).

The car software can only be updated by the dealer (or someone with a VIDA subscription and the proper setup).
Connecting to wifi will do nothing for the car software.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
They are lying through their teeth or they don't know squat. Either way, beware.

The only OTA updates are map and Sensus apps. These have been available OTA for quite a while.
Maps can also be updated through a USB drive. There are instructions on this forum on how to do it (it's very easy).

The car software can only be updated by the dealer (or someone with a VIDA subscription and the proper setup).
Connecting to wifi will do nothing for the car software.
Yes you are correct!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have noticed this strange behavior a few times now. I get a bar at the top of the Sensus display saying there is a software update available, however when I check apps and maps there are no available updates. Any idea why it's doing this?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have noticed this strange behavior a few times now. I get a bar at the top of the Sensus display saying there is a software update available, however when I check apps and maps there are no available updates. Any idea why it's doing this?
This just means there is a map update available. This has nothing to do with the Sensus updates.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Per my original message, I scroll through all the map regions, there is no region to update.
There is now because 1270 was just released. It may be possible that OTA was posted or triggered but not actually released until yesterday or today.

·
Registered
162 Posts

This has happened to me too - a lot, I check the Download Center and nothing to update, not even my Home Map. I did a complete map update via USB and still get the message

1 - 10 of 10 Posts