SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

OSD Warranty Start Date

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  XC90T8ER 
#1 ·
I have searched the forum trying to determine the warranty start date for an OSD vehicle and all of the information I read is quite old and did not appear conclusive. Different people had different inputs in the past discussions. Does anyone know what is the start date of the warranty based on our information below:
1) Vehicle paid for on 3/19/2022
2) Vehicle picked up in Gothenburg on 05/06/2022 (drove 0.5 mile around the track)
3) Vehicle picked up from the dealer in the US 6/30/2022
4) Dealer activated bunch of stuff on 7/5/2022 (Our Volvo on call app says free access until 7/4/2026)

We are not driving the OSD vehicle that much. It currently has about 600 miles on the odometer and we switched to a school that's only 0.5 mile away which further reduced the miles. I'm trying to calculate whether to buy an extended warranty before the car gets to 1000 miles and start date of Volvo's warrant is a key part of that calculation. On our first XC90 two years ago I thought we would keep the car for 10 years so we got the 10 year warranty. We were refunded for 75% of the cost once we traded it in which is great but the car was covered by the manufacturer's warranty the entire time we had it so that 25% was sunk cost. This time around I'm not quite sure we will keep the car outside of the Volvo 4 year/50k mile warranty. Literally we have had 6 different cars this year (long story). The cost of the warranty has gone up about $500 from what we paid 2 years ago with inflation but I did get a nice 4th of July discount that was nicer than the sweedspeed one. We will definitely be under 1000 miles for Labor day and if I monitor which car we drive for errands, I can probably swing it to Thanksgiving discount specials. I'm a spreadsheet person so I would like to calculate risk/reward and start date of the manufacturer's warranty is a key piece of information I'm not sure. I'm literally on the edge whether to buy it or not.. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. I don't need guesses. If there is a way to find out from Volvo paperwork that would be even better!

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Warranty starts when you pick up the car in Sweden.
Thank you. Do you know this for sure or is it just a guess?

Why buy a warranty on something you rarely use?
It's just a risk vs reward versus time value of money. In general I have had great luck with warranties and insurance if I look at things on the aggregate. I paid $120 for travel insurance in August 2021. Kids caught Covid and insurance paid out $5k for being stuck in Europe. We have home warranty at home and we pay about $500-600 a year but few large items (HVAC, Garage, fridge) have paid the warranty off for 15 years of premiums so it was worth it. I don't buy insurance or warranty for everything but I do like managing risk. We have had car warranties now for almost 10 years on the new cars. I have never had to use a car warranty but the cost is a lot lower than the initial price shock since you get a prorated refund on lower or mileage or time once you sell the car. I usually look at it as cost per year post warranty.

#4 ·
It is when you pick the car up in Sweden. Any dealer can run your VIN in our portal and get the handover date, which is when the warranty started.

#7 ·
Now that all these dates are different I will have to add a row for Volvo On Call and Volvo app expiration. This is my sheet from the last Volvo that shows how anal I am with these dates. My wife primarily drives the car so I have it neatly organized for her.

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

#11 ·
Per the paper work from our 2017 OSD, the VIP extended warranty begins on “the service contract purchase date.” This is the day we had a VIN, 04/01/17, even though we didn’t take delivery of the car until a month later in Sweden. This is important for others to know and maybe @DFrantz to help validate.

Thankfully, the dealer realized their “hiccup” when they failed to check the “platinum” portion on this form. Minor detail that we didn’t catch either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I would ask your selling dealer service dept to run a Q90 from the Volvo portal and print it out for you. This way you know the exact date of delivery and warranty start date. The first 3 services are paid for by Volvo. 10K miles or 12 months which ever comes first. There is a month and mileage count for each service. If you drive 1000 miles in 12 months, you are due for the 10K service by time. I did the 10K service at 200 miles, the owner went out of country for a year, 10K was due by time. Same thing if 10K was done at 6K and car came in at 17K for next service but it has been 30 months, we do the 30K service and the 20K factory service was lost by time. The end cut off date by time for the 30K is 36 months unless Volvo has changed it. Buying the extended warranty coverage and maintenance package is up to you to decide. I would ask the sales dept to give you a copy of what is and is not covered so you can review it. If you do purchase any extended plan, always let the dealer know that you have specific extended coverage when dropping off the car for service. Not all dealership will pull a Q90 before working on your car. It messes the works when you arrive at 5PM to pick up your car and you tell them that it should be a covered repair.

#13 ·
I would ask your selling dealer service dept to run a Q90 from the Volvo portal and print it out for you. This way you know the exact date of delivery and warranty start date. The first 3 services are paid for by Volvo. 10K miles or 12 months which ever comes first.
From what date are the "12 months" measured (for an OSD purchase)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.