SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to do a OSD for next summer. But I just found out my company gets Volvo employee pricing. It seems that the XC60 R is a little more than $2200 cheaper with the employee pricing. I thought the best pricing was from OSD but, I guess not.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I was all set to do a OSD for next summer. But I just found out my company gets Volvo employee pricing. It seems that the XC60 R is a little more than $2200 cheaper with the employee pricing. I thought the best pricing was from OSD but, I guess not.
It has been stated many times, OSD is in part price, but so much more. The adventure to Europe, custom ordering, FDC delivery, factory tour, VIP lunch at delivery, round trip airfare for two to Gothenburg, airport transportation, free shipment back to the states, insurance coverage while driving for two weeks, hotel accomodations for 1-2 days.......to name a few.......(Interesting that numerous people have made multiple OSD trips!!!)

I am sure others will chime in, but it's like the Master Card commercial.........memories from a trip to Sweden to pick up your custom Volvo.......priceless........

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If an OSD is what you wanted to do, you really do need to look at the total package. Two round-trip tickets to Sweden will cost you more than the $2200 you are saving on the car. Add that to the rest of what Greg mentioned and it's still a great deal. I'm sure once you do an OSD you will never want to buy a new car any other way.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
This is a quote from turo today......kind of says a lot!!!

"The car was shipped to New York, because I had a work assignment there. The plan was to drive it across the country to Seattle – one of the tick boxes on my bucket list – leaving on October 31 and arriving here on November 14th. Sadly, the car got destroyed the day before departure.

I took delivery on April 11th, went through the Bohus coastline to Oslo, across Sweden to Stockholm, up to Grisslehamn, a ferry to Aland, island hopping on several small supply ferries to the Finnish mainland. The car spent most of the summer around Vasa, Finland. Then in August across the sea to Umea, Sweden; Sundsvall, Ostersund, Trondheim, Oslo and back through the Bohus islands to Gothenburg. 2222 miles total for the trip – and, unfortunately, for the car.

You develop a weird bond with your car on an OSD trip. Even more so if the car is custom built, one-of-a-kind; this was a Barents Blue C30 T5, blonde/espresso interior, special 16” wheels, a heavy duty aluminum engine/transmission protection plate for the rough roads up North, 6-speed manual, etc.

Great trip, great people at Volvo here in the U.S. and Sweden, great car. Right now trying to pick up the pieces and build up inspiration for an OSD # 5 ….."

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Just to add my $0.02 to the discussion...

OSD is not about saving money. If you total up all the costs, the car will be very expensive. By all the costs, I include all the nights, meals, venue tickets, tolls, gas, suvenieers, travel-gear, etc. for the trip.

Before our OSD, I compared the pricing with Edmunds (ebb.com) and similar sites. The OSD was a decentprice but certainly not the cheapest you could get if you're a good negotiator (and incentives). I've since heard that the VCNA "Plan A" (employee) pricing is better.

Another way to look at it is you can subtract the price of 2 roundtrip airline tickets to Europe, a night or 2 of Raddisson hotel, airport transfers, Volvo museum admission, factory tour, and lunch -- and the car can be really cheap.

But OSD is not about price, it is about experience. It is about discovering Europe, or just Sweden, or even just Gothenburg on your own. It is getting out of your comfort zone and seeing things that most Americans (and many Europeans) don't. It is about driving your car 130MPH/310KPH on the Autobahn. It is about getting lost and finding something wonderful that appears in no guidebook. It is about finding a little information sheet about an attraction along the way and adding it to your bucket list because you didn't even know it was there (and checking it off the list a day later). It is about saying "hey, let's go find Van Gogh's tombstone. It is about eating a great meal in Houffalize (spelling?) and having the owner borrow your English/French dictionary so he can tell you the soup of the day (Leek, and it was wonderful). It is about turning the wrong way after getting off the tram while trying to find Smaka (Gothenburg) and getting hand directions from an older gentleman who apparently didn't speak English (but could read the map from the hotel -- once he got his glasses on). It is about running into a Warhol/Bacon special exhibit at the Gothenburg art museum.

Granted, most of that can be done in a rental car. This was our 5th time driving in Europe (our 6th driving tour outside of North America). And I'll admit it, we were nervous as the trip approached (and the first few days).

The biggest downside is the waiting, plain and simple.

We don't live too far from the NJ/NY docks (within 2 hour drive, on the way to NYC). When Sandy hit our reaction was: What about the OSD cars? Turo/GregK are correct: you do develop a bond with the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Well said David...........gets my blood boiling for another adventure!!! :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I know all the benefits of the trip to Sweden. I had my whole trip planned out....
But, my son is going to college next year. I thought that you got the trip and the best price. I did not know that the A-Plan was way cheaper. I guess our 2nd Volvo will be OSD : (

Steve

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi Steve....

Understandable......put it on your bucket list!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts