SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was directed here after posting this thread on the XC90 forum, so apologies in advance for the double-post.

I'm curious though: How much of a discount can one expect on accessory pricing if purchasing via overseas delivery vs. buying at a dealer?

E.g., I've found this pricelist on the website of a local dealer, but it's listed in the OSD section of the website. Should I assume these are OSD accessory prices?
http://www.hamiltonvolvo.com/content/images/GenericPage/xc90 accessories edt5_8D2D3C78F43C7D417.pdf

If so, are dealer MSRPs for accessories listed anywhere (bonus points if listed in Canadian Dollars!)? All I've been able to find is the catalog online. http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/XC90(16-)/2016/T6

I'm debating whether I want to order through the dealer or go down the OSD route. Obviously there's the discounts relative to the MSRP on the vehicle if doing OSD, but if the accessories are also much cheaper via OSD (e.g., on bigger ticket items like winter wheels/tires), then it might make the idea of waiting for an OSD window to open up worthwhile.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When we did European Delivery in the spring for our V60, ED/OSD pricing for accessories was the same as here in Canada. However, installation at the factory was no charge, whereas you would pay for it at a dealer. Also, you pay duty on the depreciated value. Just note that you really don't want to bring back loose items in the car when they ship it back from ED/OSD.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Email the Factory Delivery Centre - and they should be able to send you a copy of the options they currently have available and the cost (in SEK). You can then compare to your local costs ... when I was at the FDC in October 2015 the items were a few percent less than what I found in US pricelists. (Money to be saved.) Things like floor mats, mud flaps, etc. are easy for the factory to put on whilst you are eating lunch or doing the factory tour. I wouldn't recommend ordering options that are not permanently attached to the car.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
You will save the labor costs...which on some items can amount to a significant amt of $$. If you are just thinking
about the all weather mats, they usually offer a deal on those at the factory delivery center.
What kind of acc. are you considering?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I **love** my all weather mats. Purchased at FDC along with mud flaps.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The FDC used to also offer a discount on options if you purchased 3 or more ... but when I was there in October 2015 that offer was not available. Always good to ask though.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Mud flaps are on my list for sure.....
After 10 minutes on the "test track" outside FDC in the rainy mist I decided I didn't want dirt trails up my quarter panels, hence the mud flaps. My wife convinced me to get the all weather mats based on the weather and I'm so glad I did.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will save the labor costs...which on some items can amount to a significant amt of $$. If you are just thinking
about the all weather mats, they usually offer a deal on those at the factory delivery center.
What kind of acc. are you considering?
- Mud flaps
- Rubber Floor Mats
- 19" winter wheels/tires
- children's car seat cover
- bumper cover

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
- Mud flaps
- Rubber Floor Mats
- 19" winter wheels/tires
- children's car seat cover
- bumper cover
I agree with the list above. Depending on your driving style, roadways and the vehicle you order, you might consider the front engine protection plate ($445 USD non-OSD).

I don't plan to go off-road with the XC90. In my experience, though, I have run upon (mostly dodged) occasional road debris (like tire carcasses from deteriorating retreads). My previous 4Runners had the engine protection plate, and I like the extra piece of mind. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I agree with the list above. Depending on your driving style, roadways and the vehicle you order, you might consider the front engine protection plate ($445 USD non-OSD).

I don't plan to go off-road with the XC90. In my experience, though, I have run upon (mostly dodged) occasional road debris (like tire carcasses from deteriorating retreads).
With the XC90 with air suspension it can lower the car closer to the road for efficiency - not a bad idea to have the underside protection ... wish I thought of that!

·
Registered
170 Posts
What are the loose items that we should avoid buying at the FDC store?

-- Booster seat cover
-- Mats
-- Crossbars

Would these be considers as non-permanently attached to the car? And what happens to them if you buy them?

Lastly, is a rooftop box also something that you shouldn't buy?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The pricing for a few items seems out of whack. Nylon cargo net is more expensive than steel cargo net? For some items, OSD pricing is higher than than dealer pricing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The pricing for a few items seems out of whack. Nylon cargo net is more expensive than steel cargo net? For some items, OSD pricing is higher than than dealer pricing.
Where are you seeing this pricing?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
I would definitely get these items at the FDC. Dealer pricing for the 19" wheels and tires is steep (plus labor to mount/balance)
Mud flaps and mats are always less at FDC
The kids car seat cover and bumper cover are probably about the same as a dealer....but the savings on the wheels/tires is enough
to just get everything install at the FDC.... just my 2 cents (and I work at a US dealer)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would definitely get these items at the FDC. Dealer pricing for the 19" wheels and tires is steep (plus labor to mount/balance)
Mud flaps and mats are always less at FDC
The kids car seat cover and bumper cover are probably about the same as a dealer....but the savings on the wheels/tires is enough
to just get everything install at the FDC.... just my 2 cents (and I work at a US dealer)
Bob, I think I've read elsewhere on the forum that it's not a good idea to get the mud flaps installed at FDC due to the vehicle being loaded and unloaded from auto transport trucks and the flaps getting scraped or damaged in the process. Would you agree with this, or is it not a likely scenario?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Bob, I think I've read elsewhere on the forum that it's not a good idea to get the mud flaps installed at FDC due to the vehicle being loaded and unloaded from auto transport trucks and the flaps getting scraped or damaged in the process. Would you agree with this, or is it not a likely scenario?
I had the mudflaps put on mine at FDC after just a few minutes on the "test track" outside in the rain. They arrived home in PA just fine.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I had the mudflaps put on mine at FDC after just a few minutes on the "test track" outside in the rain. They arrived home in PA just fine.
Same here, on three different cars - 2 S80 and XC90.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts