SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the dealers on this forum know what will happen to the Overseas Delivery Program if/when Volvo production moves to China next year? I've been reading that Volvo has 2 factories in China designed to begin production of their export vehicles starting in 2013. If they do that, then will they discontinue the OSD program altogether, have pick ups occur in China, or perhaps keep the program as is. If it's the latter, then one would think that this would be the only way a U.S. customer could get a Swedish-made Volvo.

Any news on this front? From what I read it is their R&D and the export market vehicles moving to China, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Do any of the dealers on this forum know what will happen to the Overseas Delivery Program if/when Volvo production moves to China next year? I've been reading that Volvo has 2 factories in China designed to begin production of their export vehicles starting in 2013. If they do that, then will they discontinue the OSD program altogether, have pick ups occur in China, or perhaps keep the program as is. If it's the latter, then one would think that this would be the only way a U.S. customer could get a Swedish-made Volvo.

Any news on this front? From what I read it is their R&D and the export market vehicles moving to China, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
First of all, there is one plant being built in China and it is slated to take care of production for the home market plus start exporting to SE Asia.

OSD has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on in China.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
In much the same way as Honda/Nissan/VW and others built factories in the US to supply the US market, Volvo's factory in China will build cars for the growing Chinese and SE Asian auto market.
The units built in China are not coming to the US..nor will US OSD units be built in China. The OSD program will remain in it's current form, with no changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great news, thank you. When you say China will build cars for the "home market" I am assuming that market refers to China rather than Europe. The news release I read just said their "export cars" will be built in China.

I can't imagine a worse business decision than to have Volvos for the European and American markets built in China.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've been to China and really enjoyed it. And their interstate style highway system is very much modeled on the US system (just a tad wider lanes). Signs in many places are in both Chinese and latin letters. But to be honest, I don't think I'd want to drive there ... and I really wouldn't want to drive my newly purchased OSD vehicle there!

I can imagine that maybe someday they'll tool up plants in China to build vehicles that may only be built there (and not in Europe). If you look at some of the largest auto manufacturers they often have models that don't get imported into North America (or initially brought here) ... and I'm sure if Volvo grows with their new Chinese roots you may see the same thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts