SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to make the trip next spring since we already have another vacation on the books for late summer. Can we place a OSD order now or do we need to wait until 8-12 weeks prior to when we want to make the trip to Sweden? We would like to unload our current car and it’s payment since we have an extra car with a kid in college.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was told an OSD order in 2019 could be no sooner than 6 months before delivery, but the new order system may have changes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You really need to talk to your dealer to know what the current situation is.

I ordered in October and the car was built in January, but I couldn't pick it up at the FDC until March. Lots of moving parts in the system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think OSD builds depend on factors such as
- popularity of the car and factory capacity,
- number of car slots allotted to the Factory Delivery Centre,
- popularity of OSD,
- where you want to pick up the car (it must be shipped from factory to that pick up location),
- when you order and pay,
- when your dealer actually puts through the order, etc.

FDC only has so many deliveries they can make each year. I'm probably wrong, but I think it was on the order of 500+/yr back in 2015. So if there is a wave of OSD orders, delivery dates get pushed out. Since the factory in Sweden closes down for holidays in July, that is a factor for summer/early fall deliveries.

When the XC40 first came out and Volvo underestimated demand, I think that pushed out delivery dates for them.

To complicate this, I don't think they schedule a slot in production to build your order until they get your payment (my recollection from 2015). I was told that they try to schedule production slots a bit in advance, up to 4 weeks or so (mine was built only a few weeks before pickup).

I found that dealers were not that knowledgeable about timing for these things back then. Volvo may have improved planning deliveries, but as you can see, there are several factors at play to complicate planning things. I placed my order and paid in early December for pickup at FDC end of April. I think that ended up being as tight as I'd want to go back then (i.e. 4 1/2 months), since we had specific dates we wanted to be in Europe.

Good luck in your planning. Picking up your car in Europe is a great adventure.

bcz

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I am not mistaken, Volvo has now limited pickup locations to the FDC only.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Echoing the comments about "this might have changed"....we were told that once you order the pickup date is no sooner than 3 months, and no later than 6 months. Due to the demand and number of open slots for the XC40s (MY19), it was practically 5 months to the day from when we placed the order (mid-Aug '18) to when we took delivery at the FDC (mid-Jan '19).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts