SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I am preparing for my first OSD trip and have a question. Is there a minimum number of miles you need to drive the car before dropping it off? My in-laws did OSD decades ago and said there was...but I can't find any information on that.

I ask because we won't be able to make our factory date. Volvo said we can still take the trip, but the car will be on the boat before we even get there. Just hoping this doesn't effect import duties and whatnot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
No there isn't. I only drove my car about 20 miles, a round trip to the hotel and returned it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
But since your car will be built already, maybe they can reschedule its shipping date if not very far from your arrival. Just ask them if possible.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Hello All! I am preparing for my first OSD trip and have a question. Is there a minimum number of miles you need to drive the car before dropping it off? My in-laws did OSD decades ago and said there was...but I can't find any information on that.

I ask because we won't be able to make our factory date. Volvo said we can still take the trip, but the car will be on the boat before we even get there. Just hoping this doesn't effect import duties and whatnot.

Thanks!
You don’t even have to drive your car. Actually, quite a few people don’t do that as they have made plans to fly around Europe and/or use trains.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I know a guy in my neighborhood who didn't drive it at all. He wanted the factory tour so he showed up for that but never even took the car out of the building. He was using the trip mainly for the opportunity to get right back on a plane to visit relatives in London. The FDC doesn't care if you drive it or not while in Europe.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You don’t even have to drive your car. Actually, quite a few people don’t do that as they have made plans to fly around Europe and/or use trains.
On our last OSD trip (October 2017) the plan was to pick up the car and drive a week or so around Norway. In the weeks leading up to the trip we realized that Norway was having a very very soggy fall. So we scrambled around and completely changed our plans to include one night with the car down the coast of Sweden and to bring it back the next day and then fly off to Barcelona for a few days and then meander our way to Paris by train while stopping in a few French towns along the way. It turned out to be much warmer and drier than the original plans. The only fly in the ointment was our flight out of town to Chicago was cancelled because of storms so we were a day late. I emailed the FDC and explained and they happily moved our delivery back by 24 hours. We had to scrap the night with the car but drove the car to the port (near the Volvo museum) and brought it back to the factory. It had something like 12 miles on it. They didn't care one bit. Even with the changes it was a great trip.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I know a guy in my neighborhood who didn't drive it at all. He wanted the factory tour so he showed up for that but never even took the car out of the building. He was using the trip mainly for the opportunity to get right back on a plane to visit relatives in London. The FDC doesn't care if you drive it or not while in Europe.
On one of our OSD trips I asked what percentage of people drove their cars out and about, versus not driving at all. I was told it's about 50-50.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
On our last OSD trip, our car wasn't ready for pickup (long story) so the FDC folks (go Hans!) lent us another XC90 with very similar configuration to ours.

When we returned from our trip 2 weeks later, our car was waiting for us in the delivery room. However, it was already prepared for the boat trip so they showed the car to us and let us sit in it, but they didn't even allow us to start the engine. They showed us the keys and the pretty box but they were very careful to never hand them over. Up until the moment when we picked it up from our dealer, we kept joking that may be it didn't have an engine... :)

So, to add to the litany of other posters: no, you do not need to drive your car at all.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Or you can drive as many miles as you wish :) - that’s one of the great things of OSD. For our second OSD (2010 XC90) they made a comment upon our return “wow you really drove it” when we returned with 5300 miles. For our others we put around 2400-3000 miles each on the 2001 V40, 2005 Boxster, and 2017 XC90. Easier to properly break-in in Europe ;)

It’s your road trip to enjoy as you wish, with or without your new Volvo across Europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts