SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey members,

I ordered a V60cc through OSD and was planning on picking it up in GOT in late October. Well, Volvo somehow shipped my car to my retail dealer in Florida - and it arrived yesterday! No one at Volvo Corporate knows how this happened.
Volvo has offered to pay for a rental for the two weeks I had planned on driving through Europe. They promised I would get a V60 and that I can drop it off in Amsterdam as I had originally intended with my V60cc.

It's hard to believe they didn't know about the error until it landed on the dealer's lot.

I had just spoken with the OSD department two weeks ago about scheduling a factory tour and they never mentioned that the car was already on the container ship heading to Florida.

So just an FYI for all of you who are considering an OSD option. Things can and do go awry!

I've asked the dealer to double check the car and make sure that it came with all of the options that I had ordered. I had ordered the V60 with the PRO package which includes scuff plates in the front, back and side of the car. When the dealer sent me pictures of the car, the scuff plates were not on the car but the other options included in the PRO package were present. So the dealer will install - it may be that those plates are installed at the dealer as part of the dealer prep.

I am currently in California and relocating to Florida in November so I am not able to get to the dealer until then. So the car is now going to have to sit on the lot until I get there. I hope this is the only issue I am going to have to deal with.

I'll update as things unfold.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Hey members,

I ordered a V60cc through OSD and was planning on picking it up in GOT in late October. Well, Volvo somehow shipped my car to my retail dealer in Florida - and it arrived yesterday! No one at Volvo Corporate knows how this happened.
Volvo has offered to pay for a rental for the two weeks I had planned on driving through Europe. They promised I would get a V60 and that I can drop it off in Amsterdam as I had originally intended with my V60cc.

It's hard to believe they didn't know about the error until it landed on the dealer's lot.

I had just spoken with the OSD department two weeks ago about scheduling a factory tour and they never mentioned that the car was already on the container ship heading to Florida.

So just an FYI for all of you who are considering an OSD option. Things can and do go awry!

I've asked the dealer to double check the car and make sure that it came with all of the options that I had ordered. I had ordered the V60 with the PRO package which includes scuff plates in the front, back and side of the car. When the dealer sent me pictures of the car, the scuff plates were not on the car but the other options included in the PRO package were present. So the dealer will install - it may be that those plates are installed at the dealer as part of the dealer prep.

I am currently in California and relocating to Florida in November so I am not able to get to the dealer until then. So the car is now going to have to sit on the lot until I get there. I hope this is the only issue I am going to have to deal with.

I'll update as things unfold.
Mistakes happen. Here's how I would deal with situation.

1. Ask dealer in Florida to send you a copy of the vehicle sticker listing Options.

2. Have dealer take photos of vehicle (365 Degree) + Photos of Options Installed.

3. Have Florida Volvo / Volvo Corporate put in writing that vehicle will be inspected when you arrive in Florida, and should anything be awry or missing you reserve the right to refuse delivery.

4. I would request Volvo give you some extra hotel days in Goteborg for the headache.

Remember, you're in the driver's seat now. Volvo messed up and you need to cover your bases and should get some compensation as a result.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent advice. Thank you very much. I will contact OSD re: right to refuse delivery.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Excellent advice. Thank you very much. I will contact OSD re: right to refuse delivery.
You're welcome. Hope things work out. But it always pays to plan ahead and cover your bases.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Heck, most folks would almost consider this a benefit. I have lots of customer who want to take the trip, get the discount, but waiting for the car to get here after the fact is what kills the idea. I know you lose the "I drove my Volvo in Sweden" part of the story, but it sounds to me like they're doing everything to make it right. The mile you put on in Europe won't be on your car either, so for warranty and lifespan that's a good thing too. Also, the OSD travel folks wouldn't have any access to where the plant is at, and the dealer is unlikely to track everything as it's coming in. Just too many moving parts, so it doesn't surprise me it was missed once the factory mistake was made. If your trip was in October it would have been highly unlikely that the car would have been there in November. I tell my folks 8 weeks, but sometimes it's only 6... still...

I hope you have an awesome trip! Everyone I send over loves it!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Heck, most folks would almost consider this a benefit. I have lots of customer who want to take the trip, get the discount, but waiting for the car to get here after the fact is what kills the idea. I know you lose the "I drove my Volvo in Sweden" part of the story, but it sounds to me like they're doing everything to make it right. The mile you put on in Europe won't be on your car either, so for warranty and lifespan that's a good thing too. Also, the OSD travel folks wouldn't have any access to where the plant is at, and the dealer is unlikely to track everything as it's coming in. Just too many moving parts, so it doesn't surprise me it was missed once the factory mistake was made. If your trip was in October it would have been highly unlikely that the car would have been there in November. I tell my folks 8 weeks, but sometimes it's only 6... still...

Only downside, which I already pointed out, is that OP can't inspect and test drive the vehicle to ensure everything was built to spec. So while the main course of the OSD experience is traveling abroad, the secondary factor is to ensure the vehicle is as described before having it shipped to the USA. As now, if OP arrives in Florida to find the HUD or another feature missing, then becomes an unhappy camper.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Only downside, which I already pointed out, is that OP can't inspect and test drive the vehicle to ensure everything was built to spec. So while the main course of the OSD experience is traveling abroad, the secondary factor is to ensure the vehicle is as described before having it shipped to the USA. As now, if OP arrives in Florida to find the HUD or another feature missing, then becomes an unhappy camper.
However, you have to have the car fully funded prior to your trip, so you do sign the contract prior to vehicle inspection. So that potential error is really not any different.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
However, you have to have the car fully funded prior to your trip, so you do sign the contract prior to vehicle inspection. So that potential error is really not any different.
I would imagine though it's far easier to inspect and correct any deficiencies while the vehicle sits at the factory in Goteborg as opposed to now being in Florida. And of course, if the car was missing a feature that couldn't be added, Volvo is on the hook to refund or replace the vehicle. Which does happen from time to time.

A Volvo owner here told me HUD got left off his XC90, and couldn't be retrofitted, so Volvo had to swap out the vehicle all together and build a new one.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts

How would that be any different in Sweden?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
How would that be any different in Sweden?
Op isn't going to Florida until November. So if the car wasn't assembled to spec, OP won't know until he moves there. And that means car either sits at dealer, while OP has a loaner, or OP must wait for vehicle to be rebuilt.

Whereas, if he had the car in Goteborg, he could inspect and have corrected prior to shipment. Meaning the time from OSD ---> delivery wouldn't be delayed until OP gets to Florida in November.

Ideally, the car is perfect, OP is happy, and none of this conjecture matters. But it does remain a possibility that must be acknowledged.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
There's no guarantee it would be corrected prior to shipment had he picked the car up.
But at least OP would have a chance to inspect the vehicle and have noted what items need addressed while in Goteborg. Even if shipping the vehicle was delayed as a result. Now OP won't see the car until moving to Florida in November. So corrective measures, if any, are pushed forward at least 1 month from the time of his OSD to arriving in Florida.

End of the world? No....But certainly a headache that shouldn't have happened.

Give OP a couple extra days in Goteborg. Send him pictures of vehicle + options + stick. Fingers crossed that when OP arrives in Florida, the car exceeds expectation. How I would handle things for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts