SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My wife and I just placed an order for a v60 with OSD and pick up for 11/25. We will be flying in to Gothenburg and spend a couple days there and a couple days in Stockholm. We will be dropping it back off in Gothenburg. As far as plans, we are completely open to suggestions. I figured spend 3 days in Gothenburg, 1 day between Gothenburg and Stockholm(Linkoping?), 3 days in Stockholm, 1 day between Stockholm and Gothenburg(Orebro?), then last day in Gothenburg to return the car and fly back. I know we have a couple extra days as well. Those midway points are just ideas, if there is something that can make it a bigger loop or be a day trip in the other direction we are open for it, maybe mountain driving. We'd like to see some cool Christmas decorations, castles, museums, nice restaurants, festivals, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, maybe a sauna.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Läckö Slott Castle is an easy day's drive northeast (about 100 miles) of Gothenburg. We stayed at a castle called Bjertorp Slott that wasn't too far from Läckö Slott, and was very nice. They had a great restaurant too. Here is a link: https://bjertorpslott.se/en/about/pictures/

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We planned on going to Lacko Slott but it appears to not offer tours in November. Bjertorp Slott seems interesting also.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello everyone,
My wife and I just placed an order for a v60 with OSD and pick up for 11/25. We will be flying in to Gothenburg and spend a couple days there and a couple days in Stockholm. We will be dropping it back off in Gothenburg. As far as plans, we are completely open to suggestions. I figured spend 3 days in Gothenburg, 1 day between Gothenburg and Stockholm(Linkoping?), 3 days in Stockholm, 1 day between Stockholm and Gothenburg(Orebro?), then last day in Gothenburg to return the car and fly back. I know we have a couple extra days as well. Those midway points are just ideas, if there is something that can make it a bigger loop or be a day trip in the other direction we are open for it, maybe mountain driving. We'd like to see some cool Christmas decorations, castles, museums, nice restaurants, festivals, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, maybe a sauna.
Linkoping is about a 2 hour train ride south of Stockholm. Very nice little town. People are very friendly but not a whole lot to do as far as I could tell. The few times I have been there the weather was warm so for late Nov you might find the town even sleepier. I was there for work.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Linkoping is about a 2 hour train ride south of Stockholm. Very nice little town. People are very friendly but not a whole lot to do as far as I could tell. The few times I have been there the weather was warm so for late Nov you might find the town even sleepier. I was there for work.
Good to know. I just picked two random towns halfway between Gothenburg and Stockholm. Like I said we are totally open to any suggestions 😉

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
In late November, a lot of places will be closed and there may be some snow/ice on the road. Just drive carefully and you will be fine.

My suggestion: spend more time in Stockholm. It is a wonderful city with so many things to do and see.

If you look in the thread with Läckö Slott pictures, you will see our view of the castle when we visited in November: snow everywhere. Although the castle itself was closed to visits, we still walked around the place and enjoyed the lake views.

Nearby is Lidköping. There isn't much to do there (especially in November) but there are some reasonable hotels. I don't know if it is still there, but back then, there was an outlet store selling crystal and ceramic stuff. They had a lot of nifty things. Just a word of warning: crystal is heavy! You can easily go over the bag weight limit if you are not careful (don't ask me how I know).

I don't remember well, but I think the crystal route (think Orrefors, etc) was south of the Norrköping, Linköping and Jönköping route.

Good luck on your trip planning!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In late November, a lot of places will be closed and there may be some snow/ice on the road. Just drive carefully and you will be fine.

My suggestion: spend more time in Stockholm. It is a wonderful city with so many things to do and see.

If you look in the thread with Läckö Slott pictures, you will see our view of the castle when we visited in November: snow everywhere. Although the castle itself was closed to visits, we still walked around the place and enjoyed the lake views.

Nearby is Lidköping. There isn't much to do there (especially in November) but there are some reasonable hotels. I don't know if it is still there, but back then, there was an outlet store selling crystal and ceramic stuff. They had a lot of nifty things. Just a word of warning: crystal is heavy! You can easily go over the bag weight limit if you are not careful (don't ask me how I know).

I don't remember well, but I think the crystal route (think Orrefors, etc) was south of the Norrköping, Linköping and Jönköping route.

Good luck on your trip planning!
I figured the bigger cities would be open but smaller towns not much would be happening because of it being the off season. That is part of the charm for us though. Even though I'm a born Floridian I enjoy driving on the snow and have done it several times with and without winter tires. We'll have to rent some at Volvo so I'm not worried about ice driving all that much. I know that probably wont be Nokian Hakkapeliitta but it would be cool if they were.
I didn't even think of getting any crystal or ceramic. Just one more thing for us to consider.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello everyone,
Hello! We are also from Orlando and returned last month from a 2 week OSD trip in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. If you do go to Lidkoping I highly recommend staying at the Villa Milsten B&B. Therese, the proprietor is wonderful and will be able to give you many suggestions for restaurants and places to see. We took the ferry from G'borg to Fredrikshavn, Denmark and drove to Skagen. Not sure if that is something I would do in November/December. But what I would do is google Christmas markets Europe and see which cities along your proposed routes have markets. That will give you all the Christmas decorations, food, drink, and atmosphere you could possibly want. Have fun! And btw where did you order your car?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Iweenie mention of Christmas reminds me of one other thing: expect *lots* of Christmas decorations everywhere you go. The Swedes like to get into Christmas spirit really early on. :thumbup:

BTW, when I mentioned possible snow/ice, it is just that: possible -- don't expect Wisconsin level of snow. The southern part of Sweden doesn't get much snow and they really good at keeping the roads nice and clean. However, depending on weather and specifics of the road, ice is always possible. Just drive slow and you will be fine.

On our 2004 trip, we didn't have any winter tires just the standard "all-weather" tires that came with the car. The car has AWD which came in really handy when we visited Läckö Slott. An overnight storm had added some snow over whatever was already there, and since we were the first loonies to pull into the empty parking lot, we didn't know that there was ice under the pristine snow carpet. The car didn't have any trouble maneuvering around, but we certainly noticed it when we stepped off the car and started sliding all over the place while trying to get traction with our shoes. We had a good laugh that afternoon!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello! We are also from Orlando and returned last month from a 2 week OSD trip in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. If you do go to Lidkoping I highly recommend staying at the Villa Milsten B&B. Therese, the proprietor is wonderful and will be able to give you many suggestions for restaurants and places to see. We took the ferry from G'borg to Fredrikshavn, Denmark and drove to Skagen. Not sure if that is something I would do in November/December. But what I would do is google Christmas markets Europe and see which cities along your proposed routes have markets. That will give you all the Christmas decorations, food, drink, and atmosphere you could possibly want. Have fun! And btw where did you order your car?
Awesome. What volvo did you end up purchasing? We were thinking of possibly driving to Copenhagen. We've found several christmas markets and festivals in Stockholm and one at Kalmar Slott. We ordered from Winter Park Volvo

Iweenie mention of Christmas reminds me of one other thing: expect *lots* of Christmas decorations everywhere you go. The Swedes like to get into Christmas spirit really early on. :thumbup:

BTW, when I mentioned possible snow/ice, it is just that: possible -- don't expect Wisconsin level of snow. The southern part of Sweden doesn't get much snow and they really good at keeping the roads nice and clean. However, depending on weather and specifics of the road, ice is always possible. Just drive slow and you will be fine.

On our 2004 trip, we didn't have any winter tires just the standard "all-weather" tires that came with the car. The car has AWD which came in really handy when we visited Läckö Slott. An overnight storm had added some snow over whatever was already there, and since we were the first loonies to pull into the empty parking lot, we didn't know that there was ice under the pristine snow carpet. The car didn't have any trouble maneuvering around, but we certainly noticed it when we stepped off the car and started sliding all over the place while trying to get traction with our shoes. We had a good laugh that afternoon!
That is great to here, we were a little worried that they may not start Christmas as early as Americans. Snow tires are required in Sweden from Dec 1 - Mar 31. I'm assuming they'll make us have them because we will be there until the 2nd. I'm confident in Swedens ability of keep the roads clear and safe for winter driving. Ice is the trickier stuff to drive on so we will be on the look out for that the entire trip.
For whatever reason the v60 with AWD is not available for OSD unless we went with the CC, which we didn't want but a good set of winter tires would beat AWD and all season tires. Plus we live in Florida so the likelihood of ice ever being on the roads here are 0, though I plan on getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S so if we go up to NC and they get some snow we will still be decently in control. We also always pack small crampons that fit over shoes whenever we go places in the winter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We ordered from there as well. We bought an XC90-T6. It cleared customs in Brunswick, GA on 7/3 and, per Barbara at OSD, as of this a.m., they're waiting for the port gods to release the car so Volvo can ship it to Winter Park. It's pretty much on target for the date we were given (7/17) when we dropped off the car in G'borg.

And you should definitely go to Copenhagen. If you haven't checked out this website-you should!: https://www.visitdenmark.com

I might see you and your new Volvo driving around Orlando next year!

·
Registered
305 Posts
In an emergency, I used a pair of socks over my shoes to improve tractiion (if they are the same color as your shoes, they are hardly noticeable. LOL)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We ordered from there as well. We bought an XC90-T6. It cleared customs in Brunswick, GA on 7/3 and, per Barbara at OSD, as of this a.m., they're waiting for the port gods to release the car so Volvo can ship it to Winter Park. It's pretty much on target for the date we were given (7/17) when we dropped off the car in G'borg.

And you should definitely go to Copenhagen. If you haven't checked out this website-you should!: https://www.visitdenmark.com

I might see you and your new Volvo driving around Orlando next year!
Thats good to here. They seemed like they knew what they were doing but Volvo was having some issues getting our order finalized. I was thinking it was going to be in Baltimore so knowing it will be coming in Brunswick is good for us because we are expecting it in January. Look for a Fusion Red Inscription, we were going to go Denim Blue but saw the red one they had and my wife loved the color so we went with that.

In an emergency, I used a pair of socks over my shoes to improve tractiion (if they are the same color as your shoes, they are hardly noticeable. LOL)
Haha thats brilliant.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are less than a week away. To say we are excited is an understatement. We are going through the checklist to make sure we have everything covered. So far we have
-Arranged pick up at the airport
-RSVPd for dinner
-Scheduled our delivery time
-Rented winter tires
-Ordered our lunch
-Confirmed the factory tour
-Set our return time and date to the FDC

Obviously we need passports and drivers licenses but what other paperwork or documentation do we need to bring with us to ensure everything goes smoothly.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We are less than a week away. To say we are excited is an understatement. We are going through the checklist to make sure we have everything covered. So far we have
-Arranged pick up at the airport
-RSVPd for dinner
-Scheduled our delivery time
-Rented winter tires
-Ordered our lunch
-Confirmed the factory tour
-Set our return time and date to the FDC

Obviously we need passports and drivers licenses but what other paperwork or documentation do we need to bring with us to ensure everything goes smoothly.
Take the Volvo travel groups phone number and details with you (just in case). In 2017 our SAS departure city (Chicago) encountered severe thunderstorms and our flight to Chicago was cancelled and there were no later flights. So we had to go back home and delay one day. We called Volvo travel and it took until the next morning for them to re-book us. Interestingly enough SAS did not have customer service open on the weekends so Volvo travel had to work some magic to get us going again. Luckily we had built in an extra day in Gothenburg so it all worked out well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it recommended to alert one's financial institutions to not be surprised by foreign transactions?
I think nowadays the algorithm used to detect fraud is much better than previously. Whenever we travel we don't have to do anything with our credit card but it just recently picked up a fake charge locally.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is it recommended to alert one's financial institutions to not be surprised by foreign transactions?
Yes. Notify when you will travel and where. Nothing beats when you are departing to the airport and CC company stops hotel payment.. A bit of planning can save a lot of hassle.

/kleks (did 15+ years of travel for work worldwide)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts