SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is a summary of our OSD experience – focused mostly on the tons questions I had about planning, the FDC day and the additional days of the trip. Apologies for the length...and I hope this helps others as they plan their own OSD adventure!

The Background

We were quite excited when we heard about the XC40. As soon as it arrived at our local dealership, we did a couple of test drives. Because of the high demand which impacted the timing for dealership delivery, our sales person suggested Factory Delivery. What a great option! I’ve stated in another post - the price was less, we got a paid trip to Sweden, and we get our car a month or two sooner.

We waited a little too long to commit - and because of that the first available date for our delivery was in mid-January. Yup, January. Let the planning begin!!

Our first decision was to drive the car or not - and we decided not. The primary reason was that the sooner we ‘drop’ the car for shipping the sooner it arrives back in the US.

With that decision made, we focused on pickup in Gothenburg, and then a few days in Stockholm. I spent a lot of time reviewing various threads here on the OSD forum. I really want to thank everyone for their posts. It helped immensely with the planning and brought out several excellent tips!! And special thanks to Mats for his in-country travel advise, and to Allan for mentioning OSD years ago.

The Car

2019 XC40 T5 Inscription, Luminous Sand – Advanced, Premium, Vision, Heated Seats and Steering Packages, Harmon Kardon, Four-C Active Chassis

The OSD/FDC Timeline
Ordered the car Aug 14
Confirmation arrived Aug 23
Booked the trip Aug 28
VIN number received/financing done Dec 18
Factory Delivery on Jan 15
Drop off for shipping on Jan 15
Arrived in US on Mar 20
Pickup from dealership on Apr 13

Corporate Travel

Using Corporate Travel worked out great - especially if you do a little planning and looking for flights before you call them. We originally planned to fly through Copenhagen and then to Gothenburg. We also planned to take the train from Gothenburg to Stockholm after we completed the Factory Delivery (most of that trip would be in the dark). The travel agent, based on previous reports from other OSD folks, told us the connection in Copenhagen was too tight and recommended flying through Stockholm instead. She also offered to replace the train with a flight back to Stockholm - no charge!

The Trip

First off - SAS Lounge access and Fast Track security access are very nice extras for the trip!
Left Sat morning – Denver to Newark, Newark to Stockholm, Stockholm to Gothenburg.
We decided to arrive at Gothenburg a day early in case there were flight and/or weather delays. Everything worked out as planned so we had a day and a half to explore Gothenburg. Went to the Volvo Museum.
The only negative aspect to the entire trip was my wife got food poisoning the night before delivery – a VERY severe case. She couldn’t eat at the FDC; and aside from the car delivery and factory tour, she slept most of that day.
Took delivery on Tuesday – 9:30 hotel pick-up, 10 AM delivery, 11:30 lunch, factory tour, straight to airport, caught flight to Stockholm. We were not rushed and had plenty of time to catch the 4:30 flight.
3 days looking around Stockholm – Gamla Stan, Vasa Museum, winter boat cruise, self-directed subway tour, Royal Palace, HOHO bus tour, Mama Mia The Party – what a wonderful city!
Flew home on Saturday (Stockholm to Newark, Newark to Denver).

Misc. Comments

Converted $50 USD to Krones – that was plenty for the week. Used credit card for most everything.

There were no language issues – we had two drivers that barely spoke English and even that wasn’t an issue.

Purchased a day pass in Gothenburg, and 3-day pass in Stockholm, for public transport. Bus and tram in Gothenburg, bus and subway in Stockholm. Used the iPhone Metro app which worked great - offline mode - got us wherever we needed to go.

The waiting for your car to arrive after the trip – there is nothing like it. It truly is the hardest part of a fantastic experience!!!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Gamla Stan in stockholm is cool.

Can't remember the name of this church, but I thought this statue was very cool. It was in Old Towne.

P1020496.jpg

Did you do the Royal Armoury at Stockholm Palace? See changing of Guards? Man the one pet peeve. I loved the museum but all the plaques were in Swedish. Had to pay for an English audio guide!

Did you go to Aifur? Viking Bar? Very cool place! https://aifur.se/en-GB/galleri-en/

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gamla Stan in stockholm is cool.

Can't remember the name of this church, but I thought this statue was very cool. It was in Old Towne.

View attachment 50369

Did you do the Royal Armoury at Stockholm Palace? See changing of Guards? Man the one pet peeve. I loved the museum but all the plaques were in Swedish. Had to pay for an English audio guide!

Did you go to Aifur? Viking Bar? Very cool place! https://aifur.se/en-GB/galleri-en/
Looks like the St. George Slaying the Dragon statue at Storkyrkan, Stockholm. Did the plaque say "St.Georg und der Drache (Entwurf Bernt Notke)" or something to that effect? Loosely translated, Saint George and the Dragon by Bernt Notke. It's unusual and remarkable as it is a wood carving . Was done sometime around the 1470's.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Looks like the St. George Slaying the Dragon statue at Storkyrkan, Stockholm. Did the plaque say "St.Georg und der Drache (Entwurf Bernt Notke)" or something to that effect? Loosely translated, Saint George and the Dragon by Bernt Notke. It's unusual and remarkable as it is a wood carving . Was done sometime around the 1470's.
A google shows you are correct. Thanks for jogging my memory. I took a picture but not one of plaque. I visited Sweden about 5.5 years ago so it's not fresh in the brain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Missed that statue when we were there last month. I know there was so much more to see that we just didnt have time for.. If given the choice of returning to Stockholm, Copenhagen, or Gothenburg - I think my family is unanimous in picking Stockholm.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A google shows you are correct. Thanks for jogging my memory. I took a picture but not one of plaque. I visited Sweden about 5.5 years ago so it's not fresh in the brain.
My pleasure. This is what Swedespeed is all about, sharing our collective experience and knowledge . After 5 years, it's time to do another OSD, I reckon.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the post and info. We too bought on the OSD program although we did drive our car for several days in Sweden. It was an amazing experience that will not soon be forgotten. As another Volvo owner in the Luminous Sand color (no longer offered on the XC90) I would love to see what an XC40 looks like in that color. Would you be so kind as to post a picture of yours.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It is definitely a fantastic trip.
If you do it again, please plan a few days in Gothenburg. We really loved that city, despite being there in early March. We had three nights there and we'll go back.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks for sharing.......brought back a lot of great memories!!! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi MyVolvoS60,

No, we didn't go into that church - sorry that we missed that statue! We started the Palace tour too late in the day, and the Armory was closing.

I read about the Viking bar as part of my research and trip planning. Didn't make the must see list however.....we'll save that for the next trip :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
................ As another Volvo owner in the Luminous Sand color (no longer offered on the XC90) I would love to see what an XC40 looks like in that color. Would you be so kind as to post a picture of yours.
jtriebe, I tried to add pictures; still trying actually. Every pic that's uploaded displays upside down. So I rotated the pics, uploaded them, and they are still upside down! Once I figure that out I'll be sure to update this thread with a few right-side-up pics.

Oh, and BTW, we found out that Luminous Sand is not being offered for the 2020 XC40 either!

·
Registered
226 Posts
jtriebe, I tried to add pictures; still trying actually. Every pic that's uploaded displays upside down. So I rotated the pics, uploaded them, and they are still upside down! Once I figure that out I'll be sure to update this thread with a few right-side-up pics.

Oh, and BTW, we found out that Luminous Sand is not being offered for the 2020 XC40 either!
Posting pics is a super easy using the Tapatalk app

·
Registered
119 Posts
Posting pics is a super easy using the Tapatalk app
+1 Tapatalk

So when you choose not to drive for OSD, your vehicle never leaves the showroom? Or did you take it on the “test track”?

Also, just curious, the food poisoning wasn’t from the Volvo meal at Norda, was it? Get some bad reindeer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
There you go... looks very nice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
neovolvophyte said:
So when you choose not to drive for OSD, your vehicle never leaves the showroom? Or did you take it on the “test track”?
Correct - it never left the showroom. We considered driving it on the "test track" but didn't......it started snowing, and, see the next response.

neovolvophyte said:
Also, just curious, the food poisoning wasn’t from the Volvo meal at Norda, was it? Get some bad reindeer?
Sadly, it was! We both had the same meal, and my wife had very little of the reindeer. We think is was a bad piece of fish. She was violently ill for about 5-6 hours that evening. When it was time for the hotel pickup, she was lying on the couch in the hotel lobby. She spent most of her FDC time also on a couch. She really perked up when the car was rolled out, and she really enjoyed the factory tour. So driving the new car, even on the test track, might not have turned out well...

All of that said, her food poisoning was merely a bad luck situation. Certainly don't want to concern others!!! Service at the Clarion, and FDC, was and is exceptional.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, drboo, I'm the Allan who mentioned OSD to you so long ago! I'm glad that this worked out so well. I agree that the waiting back home is the hard part.

So many great stories, so many experiences. This is the way to buy a car, and the way to see another country. I don't mind public transportation, but getting off the beaten track is no better than with your own car.

We got our 1991 Volvo 740 by OSD -- though in those days it was called TDS (Tourist and Diplomat Sales). That was the first car that either of us owned. In 2010 we bought our second car ever, a Volvo XC 70, again through OSD. We have never bought a car in the "usual way"! During each pickup we did quite a bit of touring; some in Sweden, much in Norway. Hope to see you there next time!

·
Registered
275 Posts
It looks very nice in Luminous Sand. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Correct - it never left the showroom. We considered driving it on the "test track" but didn't......it started snowing, and, see the next response.

Sadly, it was! We both had the same meal, and my wife had very little of the reindeer. We think is was a bad piece of fish. She was violently ill for about 5-6 hours that evening. When it was time for the hotel pickup, she was lying on the couch in the hotel lobby. She spent most of her FDC time also on a couch. She really perked up when the car was rolled out, and she really enjoyed the factory tour. So driving the new car, even on the test track, might not have turned out well...

All of that said, her food poisoning was merely a bad luck situation. Certainly don't want to concern others!!! Service at the Clarion, and FDC, was and is exceptional.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but my first Volvo came from a frend's estate in California. So I hopped off plane, got the inkling for Chinese food, and like a dummy, ate the seafood off the buffet. Next day had it coming both ways. Made it up to Yosemite (where I was sweating bullets) and chucked out the rest of the shrimp. Felt 100% better, rested up, and went along with my 2000+ mile roadtrip home.

Food Poisoning is NO FUN. Hopefully, once your wife got it "all out" she was better to enjoy the rest of the trip! Total Bummer her once in a lifetime experience started off on a bad foot!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts