SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!
I'm new to the Volvo family (actually I'm not officially an owner just yet), and I'm planning my OSD for this December. :grinsanta:

I ordered a Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-D in magic blue, with the platinum package and heated front seats.
Since there are members here that have done the OSD I was wondering if anyone has done during the winter months and what kind of weather and road conditions did you encounter. I'm trying to put together the itinerary and would like to know how bad their roads are.

Planning to drive from Gothenburg to Copenhagen and from there to Germany (Hamburg, Nurburg Nordschleife & Nurburgring, Frankfurt and will be dropping off in Munich).

I wil try to make a stop at Heico's facilities as well (interested to see what goodies they have for the 2016 MY). :)

Also, I'm trying to figure out about paying the tolls and the ferries and I know that they have a toll pass service but when I looked into it, I saw only registration to receive the transponder and nothing as to register a plate and a c.c.

The OSD program for deliveries in November and December has some pretty cool perks. Besides the standard, they do offer an extra night at Gothenburg plus $1,000 extra off the MSRP on top of the initial discount and they also offer a $500 travel voucher for London, Rome and Paris (Nothing for any of the Scandinavian countries) :confused:

To say the least I'm excited!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Welcome to swedespeed and congrats on your purchase!

I love magic blue and an RD in that color will be very rare in the US.

You may want to ask your OSD questions over in that forum - lots of experience over there.

I would imagine at a minimum you would need to equip the car with winter tires given the miles you will be putting on - I wonder if Volvo can do that for you as they may not be able to deliver the car to you with all seasons during that time of the year. I thought I read something about that at one time.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I did OSD over Memorial Day weekend a few years back and did not see a cloud over Sweden for 5 days--amazing. Thus, no help on the weather, but I'll guess it will be lousy (lived in England for 3 years). I believe Volvo will put snows on and swap them off when you turn the car in. Try the Michelin planner for tolls and ferries--it is a great tool. Do some searching--lots of folks have posted their OSD experiences and many have posted pictures. You'll have a blast, irregardless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The color combo for the S60 is indeed a rare one for the US and that was one reason why I chose it. I did look into the previous OSD's in here but almost no one had done it during the winter months (I guess I'm the only crazy one out there)???

The dealer told me that they will give me all weather tires in Sweden and because I'm driving out from Sweden and not going back there it's all good, as long as I sing a waiver...
Okidiver, thanks for the tip I will look into the Michelin planner, but I'm not sure if they will be able to guide me on how I will be able to register the plate # when I get the car.

I was looking at the accessories that you can get, and I noticed that they have the side skirts, is it worth it to get them?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would guess OSD will deliver the car with Winter tires as it is a legal requirement in Sweden. Winter in South West Sweden is normally not very harsh. Expect temps around freezing, plenty of rain, wind and DARKNESS. In December the sun is up at 10am and down at 3pm. There have been years when there has been some snow, but it normally does not last. If you go North of Gothenburg, you will definitely find snow. You can drive to Copenhagen (beautiful city) and then to Germany but be aware from Copenhagen to Germany it is a slow slog of a drive, not fun at all. If Copenhagen is not so important, a better choice might be to take the Ferry from Gothenburg to Kiel, Germany. You board at 6pm, have a relaxing dinner and drink or movie on board, sleep in a nice cabin and awake refreshed with a nice breakfast on board. You debark into Kiel at 9am. If you are interested in Speed, you might want to include Berlin on your itinerary. West Germany is heavily populated and that is reflected on the Autobahn. Eastern Germany is relatively empty, especially the autobahns. If from Kiel or Denmark you swing East towards Berlin, you will be treated to long segments of NO LIMITS and little traffic. I have taken the trip in both a V70 and a V60 and it is great cruising at 180 kph with occasional bursts to 220. It is a good time of year to visit the Kristkindl markts (Christmas markets) in Germany. I can recommend Lubeck, but I am told Hamburg is also very nice. If you are interested in taking a Ferry, book soon as they fill up with Swedes making the Christmas market run or the usual alcohol runs. Regarding tolls, you can pay with a credit card. One recommendation would be to ask your bank for a CC with a chip in it and a PIN. That will make life much easier in Skandinavian countries. Ferries you can book and pay online with a CC. Please come back if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would guess OSD will deliver the car with Winter tires as it is a legal requirement in Sweden. Winter in South West Sweden is normally not very harsh. Expect temps around freezing, plenty of rain, wind and DARKNESS. In December the sun is up at 10am and down at 3pm. There have been years when there has been some snow, but it normally does not last. If you go North of Gothenburg, you will definitely find snow. You can drive to Copenhagen (beautiful city) and then to Germany but be aware from Copenhagen to Germany it is a slow slog of a drive, not fun at all. If Copenhagen is not so important, a better choice might be to take the Ferry from Gothenburg to Kiel, Germany. You board at 6pm, have a relaxing dinner and drink or movie on board, sleep in a nice cabin and awake refreshed with a nice breakfast on board. You debark into Kiel at 9am. If you are interested in Speed, you might want to include Berlin on your itinerary. West Germany is heavily populated and that is reflected on the Autobahn. Eastern Germany is relatively empty, especially the autobahns. If from Kiel or Denmark you swing East towards Berlin, you will be treated to long segments of NO LIMITS and little traffic. I have taken the trip in both a V70 and a V60 and it is great cruising at 180 kph with occasional bursts to 220. It is a good time of year to visit the Kristkindl markts (Christmas markets) in Germany. I can recommend Lubeck, but I am told Hamburg is also very nice. If you are interested in taking a Ferry, book soon as they fill up with Swedes making the Christmas market run or the usual alcohol runs. Regarding tolls, you can pay with a credit card. One recommendation would be to ask your bank for a CC with a chip in it and a PIN. That will make life much easier in Skandinavian countries. Ferries you can book and pay online with a CC. Please come back if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for all the information! We are staying in Gothenburg for 2 nights because of the OSD program and we are debating if we want to stay in Copenhagen for a night as well. If it is close enough to drive down for the day I will do that, but I was thinking to cross to Germany from Rodby to Puttgarden and go straight to Hamburg.
I will be going to Nurburgring, and weather permitted I will try to have all the fan I can have... with a rental car. ;)
As for the no speed limit autobahns, I have done it a few times since I was living in Germany and my brother is living in Nuremberg permanently. It's even more fun if you are out there around 5 in the morning!! :)
I think the situation with the tires has to do with the fact that I'm not going to drop off the car back in the factory hence they will be giving me all-weather tires and not winter tires.
So for the tolls I can pay right there on the spot with cc??

·
Registered
548 Posts
I considered winter OSD a couple of years ago. In conversation directly with Volvo I learned they would rent me the legally required winter tires.

As much as I wanted to go, I concluded the tail was wagging the dog, and took delivery at home. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It is a three hour drive from Gothenburg to Copenhagen. You can pay the toll at the bridge at an automated toll machine. It is easier if you have a CC with an embedded chip and a PIN.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a three hour drive from Gothenburg to Copenhagen. You can pay the toll at the bridge at an automated toll machine. It is easier if you have a CC with an embedded chip and a PIN.

CC with chip and a PIN. Check! Thank you again for the help!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to be clear, make absolutely sure your card works as Chip and Pin. Most of the ones in the US are actually Chip and Signature, which won't work on the automated kiosks.
Ok, I will ask the bank. I will have my debit and cc with me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I mentioned on top, I will be visiting Heiko Sportiv and I have been emailing them. They told me that they can supply me with e.motion while I'm there.

Will that void warranty on the car?
Do you know anywhere in the US I can get the upgrade?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

I have to disagree -- we drove Gothenburg - Copenhagen - Roskilde - ferry @ Rodby into Germany and really enjoyed the journey.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Got...m1!1s0x47b161837e1813b9:0x4263df27bd63aa0!3e0

On the way back, we stuck to land Germany/Denmark through Odense and Helsingor.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ham...m1!1s0x464f8e67966c073f:0x4019078290e7c40!3e0

We paid for ferries "at the door" (like a toll booth).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to disagree -- we drove Gothenburg - Copenhagen - Roskilde - ferry @ Rodby into Germany and really enjoyed the journey.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Got...m1!1s0x47b161837e1813b9:0x4263df27bd63aa0!3e0

On the way back, we stuck to land Germany/Denmark through Odense and Helsingor.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ham...m1!1s0x464f8e67966c073f:0x4019078290e7c40!3e0

We paid for ferries "at the door" (like a toll booth).

Similar to our trip. When did you do your OSD??? Any cool places from Copenhagen towards Rodby?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
As I mentioned on top, I will be visiting Heiko Sportiv and I have been emailing them. They told me that they can supply me with e.motion while I'm there.

Will that void warranty on the car?
Do you know anywhere in the US I can get the upgrade?
I would stick with the OEM Polestar tune since it's one of the best tunes offered for your model and it doesn't void the warranty. Their Quad-tipped exhaust is nice looking but don't expect much noise or power out of it compared to say the KPAX exhaust. The have some neat cosmetics for the S60 though and as always great looking wheels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would stick with the OEM Polestar tune since it's one of the best tunes offered for your model and it doesn't void the warranty. Their Quad-tipped exhaust is nice looking but don't expect much noise or power out of it compared to say the KPAX exhaust. The have some neat cosmetics for the S60 though and as always great looking wheels.
Wait, there is a polestar tune? I thought it was already on it. They rate the MY2016 @ 325hp

Is there a polestar tune to take it higher?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I did an OSD at Christmas, and it was great (but not as great as a two-week OSD at the end of June).

If you go over Christmas, pay attention to schedules of museums and such, as the Christmas week schedule is not normal, as youwould guess.

Make sure you get your PIN for your credit card. Also bring a debit card ready to go for Europe. Some places take debit not credit.

I went to Rome, so I have no tips for your travel.

In June we drove to Copenhagen and didn't use the Volvo except ONCE in the entire week.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Wait, there is a polestar tune? I thought it was already on it. They rate the MY2016 @ 325hp

Is there a polestar tune to take it higher?
No what I'm saying is that since you have the Polestar tune equipped on your car, you are better off keeping that tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did an OSD at Christmas, and it was great (but not as great as a two-week OSD at the end of June).

If you go over Christmas, pay attention to schedules of museums and such, as the Christmas week schedule is not normal, as youwould guess.

Make sure you get your PIN for your credit card. Also bring a debit card ready to go for Europe. Some places take debit not credit.

I went to Rome, so I have no tips for your travel.

In June we drove to Copenhagen and didn't use the Volvo except ONCE in the entire week.
Thanks adp. I'm very excited about it!! It will be awesome! I will make sure to have the PIN for the cc.

How were the gas prices???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts