SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had ordered an XC90 a couple of months ago — our first Volvo, in fact — and we're excited to plan out our OSD trip coming in April!

I wanted to ask folks who've done similar trips about how they managed the travel between Sweden and Denmark. The rough details are:

• We have approximately a week
  • We're picking up the car on our first day in Gothenburg
  • We'll need to get to Copenhagen eventually to visit a few old friends

I just realized that we can't drop the car off at Copenhagen, so we'll have to either leave the car and just take the train to Copenhagen, or drive to Copenhagen and back to Gothenburg to drop it off at the end of the week. If we do the former, the nice part is that we'll save a flight as if we fly out of GOT we'd have a layover in CPH anyway.

My question is, does it make sense to have the car across Denmark? Would we be alright accessing areas via trains and busses and taxis? Would finding parking and driving on unfamiliar Danish roads be a challenge, particularly in a large SUV?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Are you planning to visit any cities besides Gothenburg and Copenhagen? What cities are you flying into and out of from the states? April isn't that far off, so I would suggest getting your arrangements made sooner rather than later. We opted to take the train between Gothenburg and Copenhagen. Hotels in Copenhagen fill quickly I have been told, so don't delay if you have to make those arrangements.....have fun with the planning. You will have a ball......

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
It really does depend on what you want to see in Denmark. We spent time in Copenhagen, visited Roskilde (Viking ships & cathedral where the kings & queens are buried) on the way south, visited Helsingor for the Macbeth castle on the way back to Gothenburg (ferry). The bridge between Sweden and Denmark is an experience.

There is also a lot to see in Sweden. The islands outside of Gothenburg, Gothenburg town and art museums, Ale Stenar near Ystad ("Al's Stones" -- a "Stonehenge"), etc.

Any automobile is a hassle in Copenhagen. Outside of there they aren't a problem. Some of the old-city roads are narrow (pull in your mirrors) but not a significant problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We're also driving to Copenhagen in April. Our schedule is going to be quite aggressive, so we already know we won't be seeing "everything." The plan is to leave the car at the place we're staying and just take public transportation wherever we go. From Copenhagen, we're going through Hillerød and then back to Gothenburg via the Helsingør ferry. I would love to swing by Roskilde on our way to Hillerød, but we'll really play it by ear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

Currently, since we only have a week we're thinking that spending all our time between Gothenburg and Copenhagen is a nice, relaxing vacation as opposed to hectically jumping between multiple cities.

Good advice on booking hotels, GregK - will definitely get on it!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Currently, since we only have a week we're thinking that spending all our time between Gothenburg and Copenhagen is a nice, relaxing vacation as opposed to hectically jumping between multiple cities.

Good advice on booking hotels, GregK - will definitely get on it!
We used Booking.com and are staying at the Absalon Hotel in Vesterbro......very near the Central Station and Tivoli Gardens....
There are some really good posts regarding things to see in Copenhagan on this site!!! Good luck with the planning.....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Depends on how much time you want to spend in each location. Having the car your transportation is free (except for gas) and you can pretty much go at your own schedule (excepting any ferry crossings).

Also consider the time of day you plan to pickup your car. If you pick it up in the morning - have lunch, consider the factory tour and then drive to Copenhagen. You can drive down the highway on the west coast all the way to Malmö and take the bridge (pretty cool!) to Copenhagen. And then return to Göteborg via going north in Denmark to the ferry. The highway on the west coast of Sweden is a nice (and quick) drive - but you're not going to see as much as if you choose to go on the non Interstate style roads.

Driving time from Volvo FDC to Copenhagen 4:30 to 5:00 - a bit depends on traffic getting out of Göteborg and what you encounter in Copenhagen. Driving time is less via the Helsingborg ferry - but you need to add time to queue up for the boat, etc.

You mentioned friends in Copenhagen. If they are in the city proper - not much need for the car. If they are outside ... maybe better off having the car.

If you don't want to be driving around a lot - Copenhagen may be the better city to spend more time in: we've done practically everything there by walking. (Find a hotel where you can just park and leave the car.) As noted previously, Copenhagen has a lot of traffic, pedestrians and people on bikes.

For spending time in Sweden I think you are better off there with the car ... as there are more things to do / see by driving around (versus just staying in Göteborg).

Swedish rail web site:
http://www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

A round trip second class ticket between those cities is +/- $100. The nice thing is that the Göteborg central station is walking distance from the hotel Volvo uses. The train trip is fast - on the order of 3.5 hours. Also easy to get to CPH from the city - another plus for public transport.

Two of my OSD's have been in April - if the weather's good a great time of the year to be there!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We're also driving to Copenhagen in April. Our schedule is going to be quite aggressive, so we already know we won't be seeing "everything." The plan is to leave the car at the place we're staying and just take public transportation wherever we go. From Copenhagen, we're going through Hillerød and then back to Gothenburg via the Helsingør ferry. I would love to swing by Roskilde on our way to Hillerød, but we'll really play it by ear.
We used public transportation/tour bus while in Copenhagen. The parking garage was 2 or 3 blocks from our hotel; had to pull up outside on the sidewalk/bike path to unload (at the suggestion of the desk clerk, much to the annoyance of the bicyclists), then find the parking garage and walk back to the hotel.

We played the entire trip by ear -- except the first 2 and last 1 nights. hotels.com on tablet at the hotel in the morning before we left -- or at a McD's mid-afternoon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The highway on the west coast of Sweden is a nice (and quick) drive - but you're not going to see as much as if you choose to go on the non Interstate style roads.
rpmccormick,

Would you recommend a different (more scenic) route to the Oresund Bridge instead of taking E20 down to Malmö?

·
Registered
70 Posts
We took our car to Copenhagen during our OSD trip. I had booked an AirBNB that included parking in a secured garage. Our car stayed in the garage our entire stay in Copenhagen, except for a day when we drove to Vejle to visit relatives. The rest of the time we used the awesome public transportation system to get everywhere we wanted to go, including to Roskilde.

If anyone is looking for an awesome AirBNB rental in Copenhagen, this one is truly outstanding in my opinion.
I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Would you recommend a different (more scenic) route to the Oresund Bridge instead of taking E20 down to Malmö?
Sorry - I've only used the E20 to Öresund from Göteborg ... but I would expect that before there was the motorway / interstate style highway there was probably a more scenic route along / closer to the coast.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info!

I think we're going to stick with public transportation this trip; we'll likely pick up the car, drive around Gothenburg for a day or two, then return it to FDC and spend the rest of the week on foot and in trains. I suspect that there'll be plenty for us to do in Copenhagen, along with visiting friends and checking out the city in a nice, slow pace.

Now to look for lodging!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks for all the info!

I think we're going to stick with public transportation this trip; we'll likely pick up the car, drive around Gothenburg for a day or two, then return it to FDC and spend the rest of the week on foot and in trains. I suspect that there'll be plenty for us to do in Copenhagen, along with visiting friends and checking out the city in a nice, slow pace.

Now to look for lodging!
Yep....sounds like a plan. Lots and lots to see and do in Copenhagen and walking/public transportation seems the way to go. I've heard stories that on occasion all the hotel rooms fill up in Copenhagen and people end up having to book rooms in Malmo, Sweden. Not a very convenient option......that's why I gave you the heads up!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think we're going to stick with public transportation this trip; we'll likely pick up the car, drive around Gothenburg for a day or two, then return it to FDC
The benefit with this approach is the car will be one week closer to arrival in the States - the folks at the FDC will schedule a slot on a vessel and if you're lucky the car may start its journey westward as you're also headed home.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The first Danish train station after you pass over the big Oresund Bridge from Sweden is adjacent to a metro system station and the airport. The metro trains go north into central Copenhagen and will bring one near many central district hotels. We stayed at The Hotel Neptun and I loved their buffet breakfasts which had multiple varieties of pickled herring. I would never have considered cold fish for breakfast back home but in Scandinavia i soon developed a taste for herring, as well as the cheeses and breads offered at breakfast. Copenhagen, we found was best enjoyed without a car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts