SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

OSD and setting proper expectations

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dhorvath 
#1 ·
I am a very proud owner of a 2012 XC60 R-design which I picked up using the OSD program from Gothenburg (as we call it in the states). First, Volvo must be commended for the superb job of managing all these naive US travelers to pick up their new car in a foreign country (no, Canada is not in the US!). Most everything went completely in line with the expectations I had in traveling, hotel, shuttle and picking up my car at their facilities. Even their vendo-coffee was quite palatable ;)

My initial disappointments were in taking the car when I had requested the maps for Europe be installed before I arrive. Little did I know (until now), that replacing maps, upgrading map services requires many, many hours to perform. As I was aware this was as possibility (likely), I packed my Europe map Tom-Tom, gritted my teeth and off for my 3k miles of travels.

NOW, I am glad that I don't own this car in Europe, as the fantastic gas consumption would in fact cause a major refinance cycle to cover the fuel cost's alone. It's a really a hot car, don't get me wrong. I just came from my third BMW, the last one being a 540i. The unexpected part was when I arrived in Germany.

Ahhhh, the AutoBahn! It was very cool to have the proper car to own the left lane, UNTIL you reached 190 km/hr, then it's time to hit the turn signal and yield to 'everyone else'. Granted, I am traveling much in excess of 100 mph, but clearly this car had MUCH more in it. More than I would ever see... *sigh* I took my place in the correct lane for 'my speed' and let it go.

I really felt denied of the right to enjoy the car (and technology) I bought, let down actually. Then I was reminded that I bought an American car, and picked it up in Europe. While I am personally very accustomed to drive 150 mph on the autobahn, I can guarantee you that the only place you'll go 100+ on US roads is to jail (or morgue). Our roads and (mostly) drivers cannot fathom the reality associated with these speeds.

Bottom line, if you are interested in OSD, then you will enjoy the process (while suffering the delay). Just don't let your expectations get outside what is realizable. It might do Volvo NA well to include these details of how your car is an 'American' car, not what you would find in Europe (thankfully not the gas price either).

Happy motoring. Enjoy your new Volvo... :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Isnt that limitation frustrating? ;)
I had read everywhere it was 210kph which is acceptable for such a big tall vehicle. Little did I know US spec-d XC60 were 190 (the US Volvo site is not exactly generous when it comes the actual performance data). At least I only have the 3.2. With the T6 you must feel even more abused by such a low limit !!
They are a few places to drive fast in the US. Highway 6 or 93 in Nevada will let you go over 100mph for hours at a time. I hit 130+ many times on them. That's also where I got my biggest fine (for a mere 95mph according to Mr Sheriff, the first living soul seen in over 40'.. I thought I was crawling) .. Oops. But the mountain west area is a great place for those who like to drive a little faster. Oregon kills me with its speed limits. I'll still retire in Oregon some day though . There is too much to love there to let speed limits get in the way. By then we'll be driving automated cars anyway ;)

#3 ·
190KPH? On the Autobahn I got another 20 KPH out of my S60T5 (130 MPH/210 KPH) before the limiter kicked in. I still had plenty of throttle, RPM, and Engine capacity (according to my Garmin GPS and Bluetooth OBD reader. I (mildly) grumbled about the limitation to Marcus at FDC when I returned.

At that speed I was one of the "left lane drivers" for much of the stretch. I did move over a few times but was flashing headlights more often than being flashed at.

I've driven in Germany before so understood the rules. I did freak out a few people back home when telling them about the drive and speed.

My Garmin had European maps; I only use portable SATNAV, not built in.

We did 3000 Miles in 21 days -- 6 countries. Where did you get Zingbats?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.