SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My '68 122s was restored in the 1980s, and during this restoration, the previous owner replaced the front seat belts with new OEM Volvo parts.
The original seat belt straps in the back appear to use a pebble weave, and I'm unsure whether the original colour was black or beige... but I'm suspecting more and more it was black.
The set from the '80s up front is black, and uses a different material and weave.

Am I correct in saying that the front seat belt material is not factory?
If so, how can I get new seat belt material that will give my car a more factory appearance?
Secondly, would anyone be familiar with the original seat belt colour front and back? The exterior colour of my car is dark blue, and so is the interior.

Looking at the Quick fit seat belt services website for example (https://www.quickfitsbs.com/components_colours.php) shows that pebble weave is only available for static belts, while my front belts are the inertia type.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Hmmm Here's the only one I could find showing an interior shot.. not best picture...

View attachment 50979

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi everyone,

Am I correct in saying that the front seat belt material is not factory? If so, how can I get new seat belt material that will give my car a more factory appearance?
Secondly, would anyone be familiar with the original seat belt colour front and back? The exterior colour of my car is dark blue, and so is the interior.

Looking at the Quick fit seat belt services website for example (https://www.quickfitsbs.com/components_colours.php) shows that pebble weave is only available for static belts, while my front belts are the inertia type.
Ok so a few things to keep in mind. The 122 never came with the retractor-inertia belts (I wish they did). The set belt webbing on your fronts is much newer 140/240 style webbing where as your rears are factory original. I have a 1968 also and as far as I can tell the webbing only came in black (the pebble style) it fades to a medium grey if the car originally came from a really hot sunny climate but for the most part they stay pretty black. If you wish go back to the original fixed style on the fronts you'll need to source some new pebble webbing, the correct catch hoops and the "toaster" style latch that has levers instead of the push release button. You can't miss it, it has very fine slots that the belt click into. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the helpful response.

If I understand correctly, this is what would have come from the factory for the 1968 model year at the front:

Not this:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you so much for the helpful response.

If I understand correctly, this is what would have come from the factory for the 1968 model year at the front:

Not this:

Yep you got it! The 1968's have the more modern/current style catch, the Pre-1968s had a steel hoop on the floor and those slide lock catches. If your don't already have a "toaster" latch, they were also used on the 1800's and 140s between if memory serves correct 1968-1972 or so? There are two styles to a toaster latch (both are the same and interchangeable) one has thinner release buttons that often fade and the later style had thick stubby ones (that don't fade/discolor as bad). The chrome plating they used on all of them was **** though so if you can find a nice un-pitted one... grab it!!!! The later style ES got a different catch style the resembles that of a modern car.

The part numbers for the toaster catch are 673053 (older thin release buttons) and 673055 (newer style thick buttons). Within those there was a narrow one and a wider one but it makes no difference they are all the same thing. The heights were a little difference also depending on which car it came off (122/140s are a little higher) and the 1800s were often bolted to the shaft tunnel with no pedestal/riser. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts