SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My apologies for making another suspension thread, but I can't find my answer at work..

I'm ordering new suspension components since the car feels like a 1970s cadillac over bumps in comfort mode. It also clunks from the rear over small bumps in comfort mode.

So far, I've added:

Spring seats x 2
Strut bearings x 2
End links x 4

I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a spring seat in the rear.. I can't find such a thing on IPD or Viva. What else could be causing the clunk? Also, any tips on which bushings I should order for the rear? I'm sure that's a good part of what the side hop is caused by. My springs don't have any cracks and the struts aren't leaking and feel fine.

Thanks for all the help! :D

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
So far, I've added:

Spring seats x 2
Strut bearings x 2
End links x 4

I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a spring seat in the rear..

Thanks for all the help! :D
You're all set with that kind sir! the only thing in the rear that you may need to replace would be the Rear Strut Mount which for the life of me I can't find a picture of but it seems like they have them at FCP for around $80 per. I myself am not replacing them with hopes that they don't need replacing but really that's all else that could go wrong.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're all set with that kind sir! the only thing in the rear that you may need to replace would be the Rear Strut Mount which for the life of me I can't find a picture of but it seems like they have them at FCP for around $80 per. I myself am not replacing them with hopes that they don't need replacing but really that's all else that could go wrong.
So I don't need the washers or bump stops?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Here is the rear strut. Only rubber parts here are: #4, #5 and #19

And here are all rear bushings.

Let me know if you need any part numbers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm experiencing the same clunk in comfort mode on my 06 V70R. Only 50K miles on the car, but I suspect it's the shocks. Please let us know your findings when you've replaced those parts.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm experiencing the same clunk in comfort mode on my 06 V70R. Only 50K miles on the car, but I suspect it's the shocks. Please let us know your findings when you've replaced those parts.
Most often a clunk is caused by endlinks. Cheap and easy and at 50k you're due!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've read, if the shocks are bad, the clunk is in advanced mode as the stuffness makes the clunking sound on the inside. I could be wrong though. If it is the shocks, I'm not shoving over $700 for rear shocks. I'll either leave them for a year longer, or just sell the R now. I've maintained this caR meticulously and last summer alone cost me thousands. I'm not ready to do that again haha.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was experiencing the same sloppy suspension issues as yourself. Sounds funny but IPD's Upper Engine Stabilizer Poly Bushing Kit helps stabilize the car a ton. Still a little loose in the corners, so i got the track spec sway bar kit. My car rides like it has brand new suspension with 87k on it. I didn't bother with the end links considering mine are still in good shape.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
From what I've read, if the shocks are bad, the clunk is in advanced mode as the stuffness makes the clunking sound on the inside. I could be wrong though. If it is the shocks, I'm not shoving over $700 for rear shocks. I'll either leave them for a year longer, or just sell the R now. I've maintained this caR meticulously and last summer alone cost me thousands. I'm not ready to do that again haha.
Oh shut up you don't have the balls to sell.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ball joints since your already in there!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ball joints since your already in there!
I did that with control arms last summer.

I was experiencing the same sloppy suspension issues as yourself. Sounds funny but IPD's Upper Engine Stabilizer Poly Bushing Kit helps stabilize the car a ton. Still a little loose in the corners, so i got the track spec sway bar kit. My car rides like it has brand new suspension with 87k on it. I didn't bother with the end links considering mine are still in good shape.
I already have the upper stabilizer. That definitely did improve it a ton. I'm gonna see if the end links improve it. If not, sways and the ultra racing braces are next.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

Actually, the clunk from bad shocks is worst in Comfort and goes away in Advanced, at least from my experience. Chances are, if you have a clunk from the rear over small bumps, it's the shocks. Disable 4C to test. If the clunk goes away, it's the shocks. It was for me, and now I'm clunk free! But $700 poorer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts