SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and to Volvo. My wife and I have been looking at cars for her and have pretty much decided on the S60. We test drove one and liked it enough to request a test drive keeping it overnight. The overnight test drive occurred about a week after our initial contact (last weekend). During our initial contact with the dealer, they recorded a wish list of options and colors.

So after returning the car the salesman was upfront with us and warned that an he could try and locate a car, but most likely it would be driven in from out of state and have to compromise on the options we want. The other choice was order a 2013 and he warned due to a long summer vacation shutdown of Volvo, we were looking at maybe September for delivery. I admit to being disappointed that this was not explained to us prior to the test drive. I would have happily waited for teh model year shift to take place.

Just how true is this 2+ month delivery schedule?
Can anyone provide a link to link explaining new trim lines for the 2013 S60?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
338 Posts
Others can speak better to the delivery delay if ordering from factory. I do recall this time last year, people were waiting 2+ months for scheduled delivery. I bought my 2012 S60 T5 about this time last year. Yes it is a slow period.I was in the situation where I needed a car soon. It took the dealer quite a bit of searching the eastern seaboard to find a model that met most of my specs. Wound up finding one within the greater Washington DC area and they trucked it to my location. But generally, dealer lot inventories are a little low right now as current year models are low and new year models are just trickling in. If you can wait it out till September, my recommendation would be to order a 2013 and get all the options you want from the start. Some options will not be available (or will be a pain in the neck to acquire) post-purchase. Almost all options and accessories will be more expensive after the initial purchase and delivery. (For example, if you are using the online car configurator, to price out options and accessories, the price the online configurator shows you is the factory order price. If you later on, post delivery, call your dealer and ask to order an accessory, count on the price being 40% more.

Welcome to Volvo, you will enjoy the S60 in whatever trim you decide upon!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and to Volvo. My wife and I have been looking at cars for her and have pretty much decided on the S60. We test drove one and liked it enough to request a test drive keeping it overnight. The overnight test drive occurred about a week after our initial contact (last weekend). During our initial contact with the dealer, they recorded a wish list of options and colors.

So after returning the car the salesman was upfront with us and warned that an he could try and locate a car, but most likely it would be driven in from out of state and have to compromise on the options we want. The other choice was order a 2013 and he warned due to a long summer vacation shutdown of Volvo, we were looking at maybe September for delivery. I admit to being disappointed that this was not explained to us prior to the test drive. I would have happily waited for teh model year shift to take place.

Thanks in advance,
Would an overseas delivery be an option??? Lots of advantages......custom ordering (with colors etc. not available stateside), delivery at N/C, trip to Sweden including airfare (for 2) and hotel for one night, discounted pricing, insurance while in Europe, lunch and factory tour in Gothenburg, VIP treatment, and I could go on and on..........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome! I ran into the same situation ordering my S60 last year. I knew exactly what I wanted, and was told that inventory levels were extremely low, and that I wouldn't get all the options/color combinations I wanted unless I ordered. I ordered one to my exact specifications in October, and picked the car up about a week before Christmas. Con: had to wait a long time to see my new baby. Pros: got exactly what I wanted, cost $0 extra. I would do the same thing over again given the choice, because I love MY s60! :D OSD is also a cool option if you have the time and inclination to travel. Hoping to do it for our next Volvo!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'd say wait for it because factory-installed options are WAY cheaper than the ones installed at dealerships, plus you get exactly what you want. I hope you enjoy your S60 when you get it!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Not sure how "unique" you're looking to make your car with options, but I have a hard time believing that it's as difficult to find a car as you want it as your salesman is making it out to be. It's not like other makes/models which have literally thousands of possible combinations.

I'd avoid OSD unless you really want to pick and choose your options. Even if you bought via OSD today, your car wouldn't be back here before September anyways.

What I think is actually going on here is that your salesman, in an attempt to keep you from going elsewhere, is trying to do whatever he can to make sure he gets the sale, even if that means you have to wait. He doesn't care if you wait so long as he gets his sale. He may not want to trade with another dealer for a car optioned how you like it (a practice most dealers do regularly) or he may not have a car anyone wants to trade. Regardless of the reason I think it may be time to hop on Cars.com or Autotrader and see about finding the car elsewhere or even opening up to a lightly used one with a few miles optioned how you like it.

I made a 6 hour drive in the middle of February (through a blizzard) to buy my S60 from an out of state dealer and it was the best decision I made. The dealers around me have extremely limited selection and they all gave me the same runaround that you're getting from your dealer. You can often cut a better deal that way too by taking advantage of different market conditions in various cities.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
In late April I ordered a 2013 S60 T5 with almost every feature, i.e., not a single 2012 in the entire US is even close (MSRP is almost 46k and highest MSRP in US stock was about 41k). I specifically didn't want a T6. So mine was ordered. It has been sitting at the dealership all week. I've called, but I'm not getting any response. I'm not sure if Volvo is making them wait to deliver to me or what... I'll be calling tomorrow again :)

But September!? Possible, But sounds more like a threat to get you to buy an in stock 2012.

If you drive your cars for a long time, then just order it because who wants a car for 10 years that is missing features you wanted and could afford anyway.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
In late April I ordered a 2013 S60 T5 with almost every feature, i.e., not a single 2012 in the entire US is even close (MSRP is almost 46k and highest MSRP in US stock was about 41k). I specifically didn't want a T6. So mine was ordered. It has been sitting at the dealership all week. I've called, but I'm not getting any response. I'm not sure if Volvo is making them wait to deliver to me or what... I'll be calling tomorrow again :)

But September!? Possible, But sounds more like a threat to get you to buy an in stock 2012.

If you drive your cars for a long time, then just order it because who wants a car for 10 years that is missing features you wanted and could afford anyway.
We'll be picking up our 2013 T5 AWD Premier Plus this Saturday. Though the deal on 2012's in my region at least is US Bank makes the first 4 payments, which isn't bad at all, but the 2012 T6 R-Design we looked at was still outside our monthly payment budget, and my fiancee wanted the newer leather and AWD so we went with the 2013.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ordered my S60 during the third week of March and took delivery the first week of June. It seems like a 2 to 2 1/2 month window is the norm. I ordered my S60 with all the options I wanted. I only wished that my timing would have been better for OSD but it was not. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was told about the same wait time. If you want something very particular then it may be worth the wait. I am very happy with my T5 but sometimes wish that I'd special ordered to get the dynamic package. Otherwise I bet that you could get a great deal on a 2012 on the lot that they are trying to clear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What do you value more? A unique vehicle that fits all your custom specs and needs or a value? I took over seas delivery and waited 3.5 months to take delivery. I am happy with the vehicle that I purchased through OSD because for the first time I got exactly what I wanted/needed. That being said, getting exactly what you want/need is usually not the best value. Only go through the dealer if you are going to order a new vehicle or lease. If you are not going to order a new vehicle then DO NOT buy from the dealer. Do your homework and look for yourself. I weighed out my options last year and found some deals that almost kept me from ordering new. I could have saved $3,500-4,000 on a few S60's that were a close match to what I ordered.

I would consider ALL the S60s sitting on lots across the country that you can negotiate on your own. There's more than your dealer will lead you to believe: ) It will take a flight and road trip home though. Part of me wishes I would have done that.

Lastly, if you order a new 2013 S60 you will not regret it. All in all its hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Greetings from another resident of Northeast OH! As you've heard by now, most of the cars that are on dealers' lots are equipped very similarly so if you are looking for something pretty unique you will most likely have to order it and wait. The two month delivery schedule sounds about right. If you don't want to wait and you are not happy with the dealer's response you can do a little searching yourself to see if you have better luck - that is what I would do. You may get lucky and find one out there that is a canceled order. The S60 is really a great car. There is a thread here somewhere with the 2013 changes, pricelist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like we will be ordering a 2013, as what the dealers in the area seem to have in their inventory isn't close enough. I would very much like OSD, but the timing is just not right. I'm still searching here for the differences between 2012 and 2013.

Thanks,

·
Registered
169 Posts
My Story

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance,
I wanted a new very loaded S60 T5. Started looking in late April, but no luck. I was very picky about the color and options I wanted. So I ordered a 2013 (not OSD) in early May. I was told at that time that I would "probably" have it in late July. So, I put $500 down and placed an order. I now have a tentative delivery date of Aug. 4. We will see. I did have written into the contract that if the car isn't delivered by Sept. 1, I have the option of cancelling the deal and getting my money back.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Would an overseas delivery be an option??? Lots of advantages......custom ordering (with colors etc. not available stateside), delivery at N/C, trip to Sweden including airfare (for 2) and hotel for one night, discounted pricing, insurance while in Europe, lunch and factory tour in Gothenburg, VIP treatment, and I could go on and on..........
I second GregK's suggestion. If you can wait (and it looks like you may have to wait anyway), and especially if you have to order the car, why not pick it up in Sweden?

The program does sound too good to be true but it my wife and I spent 3 weeks in Europe (in April) driving my S60T5 around -- 3,000 miles, 6 countries, and a lifetime of memories. This wasn't our first trip to Europe. It was our first Volvo and first OSD.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I second GregK's suggestion. If you can wait (and it looks like you may have to wait anyway), and especially if you have to order the car, why not pick it up in Sweden?

The program does sound too good to be true but it my wife and I spent 3 weeks in Europe (in April) driving my S60T5 around -- 3,000 miles, 6 countries, and a lifetime of memories. This wasn't our first trip to Europe. It was our first Volvo and first OSD.
Amen..........and that won't be your last Volvo David, or last OSD!!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would want OSD, but with my wife being a teacher only allows for 3 days of vacation during the school year. That would be a short overseas trip.

I found the price list for 2013 so I have a good idea of the new packaging scheme and I do have to read it a bit closer to see what is included at each level.
I've seen pictures of the tail pipe change and the new shifter.
I thought i read that the nose of the car has changed but I have not seen a picture yet.
The headlight auto feature which implies a logo change around the switch.
The transmission changed, but it apparently translate to a bit faster off the line and better combined gas mileage.
Interior colors wihtthe dark brown trim are an option.
The font on the trunk lid has changed

I am I missing a change?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered my 2013 S60 T5 on June 5th..I was able to make changes to the options until June 7th. It is on a boat now. It says it will arrive in port on the 7/16/12. I have a at the dealership date of 7/23/12. I spoke to my dealer and they assure me they are rarely off on the dates. I too wanted what I wanted and decided to order. Its a 2013 S60 T5 Ember Black/Beechwood int. Platinum package. Climate Package, BLIS, Sleipner Wheels, Sport Appearance and rear spoiler. I will post pics when I receive car. Trading 2012 S60 T5 Saville Grey/Beechwood, Sports Appearance, Rear Spoiler, Front Camera, Njord wheels with the summer tires.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I ordered my 2013 S60 T5 on June 5th..I was able to make changes to the options until June 7th. It is on a boat now. It says it will arrive in port on the 7/16/12. I have a at the dealership date of 7/23/12. I spoke to my dealer and they assure me they are rarely off on the dates. I too wanted what I wanted and decided to order. Its a 2013 S60 T5 Ember Black/Beechwood int. Platinum package. Climate Package, BLIS, Sleipner Wheels, Sport Appearance and rear spoiler. I will post pics when I receive car. Trading 2012 S60 T5 Saville Grey/Beechwood, Sports Appearance, Rear Spoiler, Front Camera, Njord wheels with the summer tires.
Sounds nice......post pictures when you can!!! You will love the Ember..........

1 - 20 of 44 Posts