SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had targeted the C320 for purchase and placed my order--car expected in before Xmas.
Then I saw a an article on the S60 which
inticed me to look at it and drive it. After
4 drives, re-analyzing, etc, I have just made
a decison to cancel the MB order and go with
an S60 T5 (my dealer is holding a silver with
grafite interior). Some items that stand out
for me are: larger back seat, 17' wheels,
power and handling characteristics, good
looks, ergomonics, bells and whistles--all
the things we seroius lookers have experi-
ced and read about. Negative comments from
others (ie, other boards) like FWD, turbo,
etc were overwhelmingly countered by all
the T5 pluses. I just don't I can go wrong
with this car. My only problem was deciding
between siver/grafite and cosmos blue/toupe.
I wonder what colors have you readers have
favored?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! I think that you made the right choice. I drove the C320 and thought the interior ergonomics were terrible. The guages are terrible, small tachometer and huge speedometer. The buttons for the climate control are small and too close together. The stereo system is unexceptional as well. It is a pretty mini S-class, and that is about it. I am sure that you will enjoy the car a lot! It drives really good, that is for sure! My three favorite colors are Black, Cosmos Blue, and Silver. Post some pics of your new beauty if you get a chance!

-Drew

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For Indy---
Thanks for the comments. And thanks for leading me to a number of nice reviews in your earlier post. They in a large way made
a difference.
Just a few more comments/opinions on my
decision-making notwithstanding other opinions. Lexus IS 300---too tight in back seat/didn't care for interior ideas/looks
very small in general. Audi A4--I know this is a fine car but it will be or is being reworked as we speak/I didn't want to buy a car that will soon be dated and I could not
wait (need to buy/lease car for business
purposes in this calendar yr). BMW 330i---
I very much like this car--test drove it 4
or so times. Great looks/performance/pres-
tiege/technology..whatever you are looking for. This is a car I could live with but I was influenced buy the MB people and very
much enjoyed the exposure to C320. The
C320 is impressive in my opinion. I don't
buy into other's opinions that the materials/
fit and finish, etc are not first rate---to
me and in re-looking at the C320, the car is
first rate in this regard. One thing that
bothered me a bit were comments (Edmunds
Board) that the exterior paint was chipping
to a higher degree that what previous MB
owners were used to. (We know about new
guidelines for paint--water based for
environmental concerns???) but less than perfect paint on an MB?!... no thanks.
The S60 T5----first of all I could be happy
with a 2.4T--there just not here in my area
with the equpt I prefer. Test drove it---
plenty of get up and go. And less $$$. But
for a few bucks more the T5 package makes sense to me. The MB felt more solid--'denser'
as one article referred to. The T5 has most of the bells and whistles needed---(I don't
need any upgraded traction option in Cnt TX.
think that another factor in all seriousness
was that the S60 T5 would offer me more than
adequate prestiege against the MB brand. I
think Volvo has a winner here and I'll have
the good fortune to be driving mine around
town/neighborhood early from the get go.
Hoping to stay in touch.

·
Registered
187 Posts
bobmac: I'm with you on the colors. I was hoping the cosmos blue was going to be real nice, but when I checked it out in person today I wasn't crazy about it (not that classy). My favorite was the silver. In general, I think Volvo could have done a little better on the colors (obviously, this is subjective...). Specifically, I would have liked to seen a nice blue, and a charcoal gray. I think the black looks good, but I will never buy a black car since they are so hard to keep up.
-
The other thing I wasn't crazy about was the plastic on the console (not the dash)--which does seam a bit cheap.
-
All in all, I really like the s60 alot!! It's sporty, yet is so safe. As someone who will start having kids in the next two years, this car offers almost everything I want for a reasonable price.
-
Probably the best deal out there is the Acura TL--but the styling on that car is so bland. I am definitely leaning toward the s60. If I were willing to spend a few more dollars, I'd probably go for the Audi A6, or BMW 530--but in comparison to the Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 series, or Audi A4, the S60 is the clear winner to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PK--Yeah, I'm leaning toward the silver. I'll
know later this morning for sure as I will
see both (I have 'holds' on both at different
dealers.) The blue car may not have the top flight music system and if so, its silver
for sure. I scratched my head a little on the
idea of a graffite(black) interior (ie, hot)
but black looks classier w/ silver and I think the interior may generally look better
in black than toupe (subjective--and depen-
ding on your exterior color, of course).

·
Registered
187 Posts
bobmac: It looks like you've gone through the same thought process as me! I personally don't like the lighter interiors on the S60. Let's hope this car has a powerful air conditioner come summertime!! One advantage the black leather has though is that it's much easier to maintain.
Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right PK---I just picked up my T5 silver &
graffite today. Needless to say, I'm
thrilled to death figurably. I have full
confidence in the A/C but I also plan to
tint with 30% in the next few days. Like LA, it tends to get a little warm in the summer
here in Austin. Certainly didn't order the
cold package. I got mine below MSRP in that
I originally considered a 2.4T but could
find one w/ touring package. I asked the
rep to throw in 17" wheels (on the 2.4T).
But when I set my eyes on the Silver T5,
since the 17" where on the car somehow he
offered me the $500 cost discount---I thought
"Oh well, if you're offering, I'll take it".
Also--the dealer is accepting the AOL certif.

·
Registered
187 Posts
CONGRATS! Sounds great!

I have a couple of questions for you:
-1. How do you really like the shifter? I haven't driven it yet (only automatics at the dealer I went to). Is it cool, or will it look gimmicky in a few years?
-2. The premium stereo: is it really worth it? I was thinking of just ordering the additional factory 200 watt amp (that makes 10 speakers with 300 watts for only $200 more instead of $1200, isn't that good enough?).

I'm going to order my car through the European delivery program, so I can specify specific features such as brushed aluminum inlays (instead of the fake wood), or even select a leather covered shifter.

We all appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We should have more posters on this forum---
I guess its just to new--or at least the car
is.
Regarding 'shifter'---I have auto/geartronic.
I just prefer auto (I like an extra hand
free). If you consider the manual mode on the
auto trans as a 'shifter', I like having it
whether its a gimmick or not. This is the
second day of my T5 ownership and I'm still
playing around with and getting used to all
the bells and whistles---including the gear-
tronic shifter. In one segment of driving
today, I used the manual shift mode only
and personally liked it. There are many
situations where it can be useful. If it is
not on your car (in stock at dealer---that's
a bummer to me). If you are ordering a car or
are going to Sweden---it's worth $200 to
have in my opinion. (Other opinions welcome)
Regarding the stereo upgrade---I have audio
max (13 spkrs, sound around, 4CD chngr, etc)
and I have NEVER heard better sound in a car.
If its out there, fine. To my ears, and I
listen to oldies, jazz, classical, rock---
the whole gammit---and the sound is wonder-
ful---and I am critical about sound being a
former musician. If I hadn't heard the audio
max ($1200, ouch!), I would likely have
adapted to the lesser $$$ and sooner or later
found happiness with the sound. I suggest
that you take your favorite CD with you and
check out both systems---them pull out your calculator and figure your monthly expense for the top-of-line audio max and ask your-
self the question. Finally, I guess that
a large majority of dealers will be getting/
ordering T5s with the audio max.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I finally drove the T5, and I LOVE IT! I still can't find one with a manual transmission, so I drove the auto w/ geartronic. This was real nice, and would be my choice if I were getting the automatic ...but I definitely want the stick!
-
Sorry to be a copycat, bobmac, but I am going with the Silver w/ graphite leather & 17" wheels. I will also get the touring package--and sunroof, but will be passing on the premium sound system--settling for the system w/ 10 spkrs and extra 200watt amp. I'm sure the audiomax is fantastic, but I probably won't know the difference. What's more, I can use this to show my wife how I'm "sacrificing" by not getting this, or the navigation system or DSTC. Smart, eh?
-
I'm still interested in hearing from people who have the T5 with the "spaceball" shifter. What are your opinions?
-
I hope this board start getting more contibutors soon!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats PK!
One's option selection is usually subjective
and personal. Sounds like you did some research and as a result will have no second thoughts. A note to add to the frey as
regards to the black side molding. On
another board there were some complainers
as to this 'only' color. To my thinking and
perhaps yours---the black side moldings and other black trim items definitely enhance
the look of the silver car. And the (black)
graffite leather also kicks butt with silver.
What a stunning and 'sexy'(for the lack of
another word) combo this is!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tim,
I've seen the platinum green (at Studio City Volvo), and it's actually really nice. It's a light metallic green, that could actually be mistaken for a shade of gray at first glance.
The car I saw had the tan interior (or taupe?). I thought the interior would have been better in gray, or black.
-
It can be real hard to tell what some of the colors are like until you actually see the car! I still don't like the gold that much, but it definitely looks better in person than the pictures. On the other hand, I thought I was going to love the cosmos blue, but it was only ok in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speaking of colors, I have not heard anything about either Venetian Red or Cypress Green.

Any sightings or thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too tested C320 and seriously contemplated the purchase. Then I took my wife's S40 for the oil change and saw this beautiful S60. I test-drove the 2.4T and amazed about its power and acceleration (especially, when compared to C240). I hear that T5 is even better. Anyway, I'm planning to get black one, with beige interior. Is it really so hard to maintain a black car? I will appreciate your comments, both pro and against. Thanks. John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts