SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this option back and forth, with it it makes the ride height lower and I think it looks nicer with the r design and the 22 inch wheels, what's your opinion if you've ordered a r design too?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Have you driven the vehicle extensively with both suspensions? If you are looking for a place to save some money, the car still rides quite nicely on the standard suspension. If money isn't an object, however, I see no real downside to the air suspension.

Edit: I missed the part about the 22" wheels. In that case, I'd definitely recommend the air suspension. It should help to counteract some of the harshness brought on by the super low profile 22s.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've been thinking about this option back and forth, with it it makes the ride height lower and I think it looks nicer with the r design and the 22 inch wheels, what's your opinion if you've ordered a r design too?
I ordered my R-Design on 10/05 without Air Suspension. Called my dealer yesterday to add it. I'm getting the 22" rims and I think the Air Suspension will provide a smoother ride and it has been mentioned in other posts that it reduces body roll.

I first did not want it as it is very expensive to repair but realized that I am getting the VIP extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I will for sure with 22" wheels!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think for $1,800 it is a bargain. We got it and love it.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
aside from ride quality, the air suspension is advantageous for (1) offroad, and (2) lower entry height, so easier to get in and out

if you paid yourself a dollar for every time you got in or out of your car, you'd pay off the system pretty quickly

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if the standard suspension on the R will be different than the other models. I have a M+ with the standard suspension and it crashes pretty hard going over abrupt bumps. I drove over light rail tracks in San Francisco and actually checked for a cracked windshield afterwards. I half expected a strut tower poking through the hood. I drove my E70 X5 (notoriously unforgiving supension) w/ 21" wheels (35/30 profile tires front/rear) over the same crossing a bazillion times without issue or unusual harshness. Had I to do it over again I'd would opt for air suspension on the XC90.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ordered my R-Design on 10/05 without Air Suspension. Called my dealer yesterday to add it. I'm getting the 22" rims and I think the Air Suspension will provide a smoother ride and it has been mentioned in other posts that it reduces body roll.

I first did not want it as it is very expensive to repair but realized that I am getting the VIP extended warranty.
I am curious to know if you went with the 22 inch wheel choice with air suspension on your XC90. If so, can you please provide some feedback. Are you happy with the choice? Would you buy the 22's again?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
aside from ride quality, the air suspension is advantageous for (1) offroad, and (2) lower entry height, so easier to get in and out

if you paid yourself a dollar for every time you got in or out of your car, you'd pay off the system pretty quickly
It is more about repair cost after warranty, and when you are going to sell it eventually. For those who got air suspension replaced already, will any future air suspension replacement parts be free per the lifetime parts warranty?

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am curious to know if you went with the 22 inch wheel choice with air suspension on your XC90. If so, can you please provide some feedback. Are you happy with the choice? Would you buy the 22's again?
Yep. I have an Inscription with 22s and AS.

LOVE IT.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Seems Volvo suspension is always on the stiff side and does not absorb road bumps as good as more floaty cars. The travel distance of the suspension is quite low and the wheel well clearance does not accommodate snow chains. It maybe good for looking but not comfortable at all. The transverse leaf spring design on rear suspension is also kind of stiff and does not allow much bounce of wheels on bumpy road.

Air suspension is helpful but I'd hope they also make the traditional suspensions better for US roads.

·
Registered
702 Posts
HELL NO ...you read nothing but issues with air suspension not only in Volvo but with all brands.
Especially if you live in temps that drop below zero you're asking to have nothing but problems.
I'd skip it if I were you. We have the 22s and the ride is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes I did and I absolutely love it. I had an Inscription loaner for a few days with 20s and without the air suspension and the ride was stiffer than mine which has the 22s.

When I put the car in dynamic mode, the car lowers a bit which gives it a more aggressive look and handles a bit better.

When I’m not in the car, it sits really low and just looks damn good.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ditto! I have AS (MY16) and quite disappointed. Heard about that MY17 AS is much better.

Seems Volvo suspension is always on the stiff side and does not absorb road bumps as good as more floaty cars. The travel distance of the suspension is quite low and the wheel well clearance does not accommodate snow chains. It maybe good for looking but not comfortable at all. The transverse leaf spring design on rear suspension is also kind of stiff and does not allow much bounce of wheels on bumpy road.

Air suspension is helpful but I'd hope they also make the traditional suspensions better for US roads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts