SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2019 XC90 and got my letter confirmation for a pickup end of June this year. Now that you can order a model year 2020, do you think they will allow me to swap it out and get the 2020 model instead and still get it by end of June? Has anyone does this before where they changed the model year that they ordered through OSD when the new model came out and they allowed it?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I ordered a 2019 XC90 and got my letter confirmation for a pickup end of June this year. Now that you can order a model year 2020, do you think they will allow me to swap it out and get the 2020 model instead and still get it by end of June? Has anyone does this before where they changed the model year that they ordered through OSD when the new model came out and they allowed it?
I tried this last year and I went through all of this with Volvo. Not possible unfortunately.

1. Once LDOC last date of change has passed, which it surely has if you have June delivery, you cannot make any changes to your order. Its very likely that your car has ready come off the assembly line.

2. You could order a MY20 but you would lose your deposit on the MY19 and have to make a new one for MY20.

3. Even if you did that, there is no chance you can get MY20 delivery In June. Earliest is August for any given year. This has been asked many times over.

Sorry.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would guess no.

This week is the finally build week for 2019 models. So if yours isn't already built, then it's probably already locked in for this week.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
3. Even if you did that, there is no chance you can get MY20 delivery In June. Earliest is August for any given year. This has been asked many times over.
We got our MY2019 XC90 on the 1st week of July 2018 as did other American OSDers we met at the FDC, so one can definitely get your OSD before August. (We didn't ask for earlier than July so I can't comment for American OSDers.) And I remember reading somewhere here about European OSDers getting their MY2019 XC90s even earlier, something like April or May 2018 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
We got our MY2019 XC90 on the 1st week of July 2018 as did other American OSDers we met at the FDC, so one can definitely get your OSD before August. (We didn't ask for earlier than July so I can't comment for American OSDers.) And I remember reading somewhere here about European OSDers getting their MY2019 XC90s even earlier, something like April or May 2018 if I remember correctly.
That's annoying ... I was told earliest delivery date would be late August when I tried to change my model year on April 4th, 2018. That really pisses me off. When did you make your order?

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's annoying ... I was told earliest delivery date would be late August when I tried to change my model year on April 4th, 2018. That really pisses me off. When did you make your order?
fyi, I know a lot of people hold a certain dealer who sponsors this sub-forum to high esteem, and I have been holding back but this one has pushed me over the edge. For the record, this dealer mislead me on a number of things about OSD. Simple things like "you have to fly into/out of Gothenburg", which is complete garbage, how FDC accessories work, misleading data on production times, and not being able to get a delivery before late August for a new model year. On the other hand he is a really nice guy and means well, but that does not make up for false information. Be forewarned.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
1st week of April 2018 when my dealer said OSD orders opened, at least for him. Maybe different dealers have different timing? Regarding delivery date we originally requested an August date in the paperwork - there was no limitation or guidance given, we just chose a convenient date for us. But then we called the OSD folks in NJ mid-April to move it earlier to 1st week in July due to some conflicts (they didn't even ask why, they just did it) and there were still spots open so I further got the impression earlier delivery dates were normal. Again, there were no restrictions or guidance given from the NJ OSD folks (ie Volvo corporate), we just chose an earlier summer date convenient for us.

·
Registered
585 Posts
1st week of April 2018 when my dealer said OSD orders opened, at least for him. Maybe different dealers have different timing?
Thanks. No they don't have different timing they just think they know differently. When MY19 pricing got announced on April 4th, 2018 I was really surprised that they were offering a MY19 Ocean Race. I immediately tried to get my MY18 swapped for a MY19 given that my car had not been produced and I wasn't getting delivery until Jul 13, 2018. I was told that I had passed the LDOC = last date of change and would thus have to re-order and lose prior deposit. More importantly, was told by the dealer, who sponsors this forum, that if I re-ordered I would not get delivery until late August. Had a long conversation with him about it, raising many issues. He was wrong on so many items. sigh.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks. No they don't have different timing they just think they know differently. When MY19 pricing got announced on April 4th, 2018 I was really surprised that they were offering a MY19 Ocean Race. I immediately tried to get my MY18 swapped for a MY19 given that my car had not been produced and I wasn't getting delivery until Jul 13, 2018. I was told that I had passed the LDOC = last date of change and would thus have to re-order and lose prior deposit. More importantly, was told by the dealer, who sponsors this forum, that if I re-ordered I would not get delivery until late August. Had a long conversation with him about it, raising many issues. He was wrong on so many items. sigh.
Maybe timing is model dependent? We ordered an XC90, but when you mention Ocean Race that's definitely not XC90. I think you're a V90, correct?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maybe timing is model dependent? We ordered an XC90, but when you mention Ocean Race that's definitely not XC90. I think you're a V90, correct?
Hey, I appreciate the ideas but no, the timing was not about the model. Yes it was a MY18 V90 Cross Country Ocean Race. Your vehicle was likely produced right at the end of April, beginning of May. I could have no doubt got a MY19 for July 13 delivery given that I questioned all of this on the first day MY19 pricing was released. But my dealer, who sponsors this forum, has a lot of 'experience' and assumes he knows a lot but is unfortunately not up to date with information in general. I should have gone directly to Barbara/OSD support.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Call OSD corporate ASAP and speak to Barbara, no one else. I believe she is your last advocate/chance. Hopefully your LDOC hasn't passed already . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the tip about Barbara. What no do I call for OSD corporate? Is it the same customer service no on their confirmation letter & I just ask for Barbara?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1st week of April 2018 when my dealer said OSD orders opened, at least for him. Maybe different dealers have different timing? Regarding delivery date we originally requested an August date in the paperwork - there was no limitation or guidance given, we just chose a convenient date for us. But then we called the OSD folks in NJ mid-April to move it earlier to 1st week in July due to some conflicts (they didn't even ask why, they just did it) and there were still spots open so I further got the impression earlier delivery dates were normal. Again, there were no restrictions or guidance given from the NJ OSD folks (ie Volvo corporate), we just chose an earlier summer date convenient for us.
Darn. Wish I asked this from the dealer but from reading posts, got the impression too that the new model years didn’t come out till Aug & did not want to go then when the factory is closed. Thought it would be ok to get the prior year model but now it seems maybe I should have waited. 😔

·
Registered
911 Posts
So a few things.

Don't trust a dealer. Don't trust a single person that works there...at all. Be prepared to push for what you want and be prepared to go around and above whomever you're working with to get it. That's not just Volvo, but any manufacturer.

nquery, OSD seems to work based on a few restrictions:

1. Model/edition limits (beyond limiting to models actually built onsite, it seems they limit to apportion a certain amount of variation between models and editions of those models.
2. They are physically limited as to how many OSDs they can do in a given day, so that's why delivery dates can get pushed farther out, even if the car was built months earlier and just sits in the factory parking lot. You're waiting for a slot to have the "experience".
3. Geographic limits. Similar to #1, they seem to apportion slots for countries and regions within larger countries, like the US.

The LDoC thing by first week of April seems reasonable. Our MY19 VOR was built at the end of the first week of April, and the LDoC was about a week to a week and a half prior. Considering that the model year change over is the 17th week of the year, it's not unreasonable to think your MY18 car was locked in by the point you went to change the order. Like I said, for OSD, they just build it and set it aside until the scheduled delivery date.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thank you for the tip about Barbara.
This forum has helped me so much - just returning the kindness! Just remember that Barbara is probably swamped - I think she's the only (customer-facing) US person handling US OSDs and she doesn't control Gothenburg production so please take it easy on this ol' lady. She does what she can but there are rules to follow . . . And there's no dumb question as you're learning the process like the rest of us . . .
Is it the same customer service no on their confirmation letter & I just ask for Barbara?
Yes

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's interesting... My V90 is scheduled to be built end of next week and is a MY2019.
I should clarify. This week is the last full week. The 17th week of the year is the transition week. Could be early that week, could be late that week.

Who provided you with the build date?

·
Registered
585 Posts
So a few things.

Don't trust a dealer. Don't trust a single person that works there...at all. Be prepared to push for what you want and be prepared to go around and above whomever you're working with to get it. That's not just Volvo, but any manufacturer.

nquery, OSD seems to work based on a few restrictions:

1. Model/edition limits (beyond limiting to models actually built onsite, it seems they limit to apportion a certain amount of variation between models and editions of those models.
2. They are physically limited as to how many OSDs they can do in a given day, so that's why delivery dates can get pushed farther out, even if the car was built months earlier and just sits in the factory parking lot. You're waiting for a slot to have the "experience".
3. Geographic limits. Similar to #1, they seem to apportion slots for countries and regions within larger countries, like the US.

The LDoC thing by first week of April seems reasonable. Our MY19 VOR was built at the end of the first week of April, and the LDoC was about a week to a week and a half prior. Considering that the model year change over is the 17th week of the year, it's not unreasonable to think your MY18 car was locked in by the point you went to change the order. Like I said, for OSD, they just build it and set it aside until the scheduled delivery date.
Thanks. I understand all of those points. My LDOC was March 14, 2018 and production was sometime around April 18th or so, during week 16. The LDOC was clearly past when MY19 pricing came out. I knew that. But I was still weighing my options including escalating up the Volvo ladder because I had previously been told that the Ocean Race would be MY18 only. I didn't actually need a vehicle until the end of 2018.

I also knew that the Sensus hardware and such was likely being updated. So I started inquiring about when the earliest is I could take delivery on a MY19 and was told August. At that point, I had firmed up my summer plans (though flights were changeable) such that I could only take delivery at the factory sometime before mid July. So I left it alone at that point. I should have fought harder and escalated.

What I don't like is being given misinformation that does not allow me to make properly informed decisions. I would have waited to order a MY19 if a) I had been told that the Ocean Race might be available as a MY19, and b) one could get July delivery if they ordered immediately when pricing came out on April 4th. I was misled on both points.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I should clarify. This week is the last full week. The 17th week of the year is the transition week. Could be early that week, could be late that week.

Who provided you with the build date?
Odd that they would switchover mid-week. You would think they would do for the first of the week i.e. next Monday, so they have time to swap out part revisions on the weekend and also easier to determine revisioning/docs/etc. For example, mid-year refreshes usually happen as of beginning of week 46, so you just need to know the week of production and not the exact day. Of course, with model year changes it's maybe less relevant because the MY clearly distinguishes before/after.

Still, seems odd. Maybe MY20 starts at the beginning of week 18 this year. It's not like MY transition week has to be week 17. It has historically been around then though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts