SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with Optiontown that they can share?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We used Optiontown on our November OSD. We were very happy with the entire process. We were upgraded to Plus on the way over and Business on the way back. It's not cheap but much less than upgrading via Volvo travel or SAS. My only gripe is that Optiontown split us up on the way over. We were able to switch seats with someone so it worked out fine but there is that lack of control. I would do it again if the situation presented itself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We used OptionTown on our flight last week, being upgraded to economy extra. When we got to the Cleveland airport for our flight to EWR, United did not have our reservation. After over almost an hour on the phone with Corporate Travel, who was on the phone with SAS, it was determined when OptionTown upgraded us they issued a new ticket. They did not include our domestic flights as part of the new ticket. Only the SAS flights were on the ticket. We made our flight to EWR with less than 5 minutes to spare.

Our advise - if you get upgraded make sure your domestic carrier has your reservation. If not call Corporate Travel immediately. They are aware of this potential problem.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We used Optiontown on our November OSD. We were very happy with the entire process. We were upgraded to Plus on the way over and Business on the way back. It's not cheap but much less than upgrading via Volvo travel or SAS. My only gripe is that Optiontown split us up on the way over. We were able to switch seats with someone so it worked out fine but there is that lack of control. I would do it again if the situation presented itself.
According to the website that's not supposed to happen.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We took advantage of optiontown for our Chicago/Copenhagen leg on SAS. We got upgraded to business class (with the nice, almost flat, recliner seats) on the way over and economy extra (nice but not quite as nice) on the way back. No issues, no problems with airlines.

We had United for Philly/Chicago legs and SAS for Copenhagen/Gothenburg legs both directions.

It looks like it could be a scam but wasn't. SAS advertises them on flysas.com. One thing that isn't entirely clear (and I'm not complaining) is that you pay $6/ticket for optiontown whether you get upgraded or not (I thought it was $6/direction) and they have your credit card $ for a while -- the earlier you sign up, the closer to the front of the line you are. They were pretty quick at refunding the extra $ at the end.

We were not split up like comp1.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We took advantage of optiontown for our Chicago/Copenhagen leg on SAS. We got upgraded to business class (with the nice, almost flat, recliner seats) on the way over and economy extra (nice but not quite as nice) on the way back. No issues, no problems with airlines.

We had United for Philly/Chicago legs and SAS for Copenhagen/Gothenburg legs both directions.

It looks like it could be a scam but wasn't. SAS advertises them on flysas.com. One thing that isn't entirely clear (and I'm not complaining) is that you pay $6/ticket for optiontown whether you get upgraded or not (I thought it was $6/direction) and they have your credit card $ for a while -- the earlier you sign up, the closer to the front of the line you are. They were pretty quick at refunding the extra $ at the end.

We were not split up like comp1.
Can I ask how much the upgrade out of O'Hare set you back? That's one of the more likely airports for us

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the website that's not supposed to happen.
I've read that they won't upgrade if all travelers can't be upgraded. I didnt see anything about not seperating travelers

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The optiontown site doesnt make it easy to discover what the fees are. Is $6 per leg the usual non-refundable fee?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Pricing

There is a very basic signup fee. A few dollars if i remember,but the upgrades cost us about $1200 +\- for plus over and business back via Newark out and ORD upon return. As i said its not cheap but much less than usual upgrades. It was worh it to us in the long run. There are no guarantees but all money is returned if not upgraded.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Can I ask how much the upgrade out of O'Hare set you back? That's one of the more likely airports for us
Around $800 each (full upgrade to business class), around $450 each for the trip back (economy extra).

You get to see the price before you enter your credit card number.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The optiontown site doesnt make it easy to discover what the fees are. Is $6 per leg the usual non-refundable fee?
That's per ticket ($6 * 2 for 2 people, $6 *2 *2 for 2 people on 2 legs). Not too bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The current [well, we paid in March for Sept flights] upgrade fee is $208 for Economy Extra and $463 for Business [per person, per transatlantic flight] .

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replys. Sounds like I need to look into this if we fly SAS.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. Sounds like I need to look into this if we fly SAS.
What happened to the Caribbean trip???

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What happened to the Caribbean trip???
Still going to the Caribbean. Probably in early 2013. Came home today to find the wife looking up different islands. :)
The original plan was to buy from a dealer, but there doesnt appear to be any cars available in the color she wants. Therefore a trip the factory is in the making. I gotta say, Sweden in December is not all that appealing. We always go to warm climes for our vacations.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Still going to the Caribbean. Probably in early 2013. Came home today to find the wife looking up different islands. :)
The original plan was to buy from a dealer, but there doesnt appear to be any cars available in the color she wants. Therefore a trip the factory is in the making. I gotta say, Sweden in December is not all that appealing. We always go to warm climes for our vacations.
Personally I do not think you will regret the decision to pick your car up through the OSD program.......(even in December).......

Just remembered you have alerady picked up a car through the program......then you already KNOW how much fun you are going to have!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We ordered in October for April OSD. I didn't want to be traveling around Scandanavia or the rest of Europe in snow. I like the snow, she doesn't.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
We ordered in October for April OSD. I didn't want to be traveling around Scandanavia or the rest of Europe in snow. I like the snow, she doesn't.
That was plan A, Order for April 2013 and spend up to 2 weeks exploring Norway. Then she decided she wanted the car sooner, so off to the dealer to check inventory - plan B. Strike out on remaining 2012's, unless we wanted to pay $1200 to truck one from the east. And no 2013's seen coming our way, again, unless we wanted to truck one from the east. So plan C, order the car. Two to three months to get it. But if you have to order it anyway, why not do OSD? Hence, plan D. Get what she wants, add a couple custom items, and make it a quick trip, cause we just don't vacation in a cold weather climate. Last cold weather local for us was Sweden in 2003. It was a great October trip, but we really didnt want to do that again. So it's a bit of a let down that the winter travel offer didnt have a more southern Europe destination. Not much real difference weather wise between south Sweden and London. We get the 2 nights in Gothenberg, and right now it's possible that'll be all we do. We'll see what the delivery date is, check the work calendars, and decide if we're going to stay longer.

OSD is an amazing program. I really appreciate the opportunity it provides. I know we'll enjoy the trip. Not so keen on the cold and potential for snow. Have you ever tried to operate a Swedish car wash?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That was plan A, Order for April 2013 and spend up to 2 weeks exploring Norway. Then she decided she wanted the car sooner, so off to the dealer to check inventory - plan B. Strike out on remaining 2012's, unless we wanted to pay $1200 to truck one from the east. And no 2013's seen coming our way, again, unless we wanted to truck one from the east. So plan C, order the car. Two to three months to get it. But if you have to order it anyway, why not do OSD? Hence, plan D. Get what she wants, add a couple custom items, and make it a quick trip, cause we just don't vacation in a cold weather climate. Last cold weather local for us was Sweden in 2003. It was a great October trip, but we really didnt want to do that again. So it's a bit of a let down that the winter travel offer didnt have a more southern Europe destination. Not much real difference weather wise between south Sweden and London. We get the 2 nights in Gothenberg, and right now it's possible that'll be all we do. We'll see what the delivery date is, check the work calendars, and decide if we're going to stay longer.

OSD is an amazing program. I really appreciate the opportunity it provides. I know we'll enjoy the trip. Not so keen on the cold and potential for snow. Have you ever tried to operate a Swedish car wash?
You might be able to find some good prices for airfare between Gothenburg/Copenhagen and a southern european city. Let Volvo fly you to Gothenburg, pick up your car and drop off the same day (or a couple of days later), and then take the cheaper round trip flights within Europe.

I don't remember seeing a car wash while we were there... But then again, I wasn't looking for one. Is there anything special about them?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts