SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at a 2012 xc60. I currently have a 2006 V70R. I love my R dearly but need something with more ground clearance.

I am having trouble coming to terms with several things on the 60...

First (primarily): sound system. To get the high performance sound I HAVE to get platinum package and even then there is NO SUB. This really chaffs me in a 50k plus car...doubly so that I can't get the upgrade stereo as a stand alone option. I test drove an xc60 with premium and thought the sound was abysmal.
So, to that end, is it even worth getting the platinum just for the high performance or could I do better doing some after market mods to the regular system? I am concerned at number of speakers, that would be hard to change after market.... I don't know a lot about after market sound systems I just know that the factory system sounded terrible, especially after the glory of the system in my R.

Second, I plan on getting the T6 with polestar tune, rather than getting the R. I don't want 20" wheels and am not fussed about the styling but I do care about performance (coming from my real R wagon). Is it worth getting the dynamic package, does anyone notice a difference in driving?

I would appreciate any other comments on options people felt were worthwhile. I do not want any of the added safety features, BLISS ect, absolutely not my thing.

Thanks in advance.
Ps, this is in Canada, not sure if the packages are different in the states...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, to address your first point, I agree - the premium sound is really not impressive. It is definitely better than the regular sound, but after-market upgrades are going to be expensive - why not just get the premium and be satisfied you're getting some other perks as well and try to live with it?

Living in the city, blis is nice because it gives you power actuated side mirrors, which means that if you park on the street the mirrors will collapse so that they don't get clipped off. Second, they include ground approach lighting which is nice to turn on as you're approaching your car to ensure that it is safe and allows you to avoid puddles, etc.

Things I really really like are the PCC keyless entry and bluetooth/navi, which we use a fair amount.

Good luck - I think you should just upgrade and be done with it and enjoy the car, knowing that no car is going to meet your 100% expectations in every category. It just seemed to me in the luxury compact SUV niche, the XC60 was the best option for the money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi, I am looking at a 2012 xc60. I currently have a 2006 V70R. I love my R dearly but need something with more ground clearance.

I am having trouble coming to terms with several things on the 60...

First (primarily): sound system. To get the high performance sound I HAVE to get platinum package and even then there is NO SUB. This really chaffs me in a 50k plus car...doubly so that I can't get the upgrade stereo as a stand alone option. I test drove an xc60 with premium and thought the sound was abysmal.
So, to that end, is it even worth getting the platinum just for the high performance or could I do better doing some after market mods to the regular system? I am concerned at number of speakers, that would be hard to change after market.... I don't know a lot about after market sound systems I just know that the factory system sounded terrible, especially after the glory of the system in my R.

Second, I plan on getting the T6 with polestar tune, rather than getting the R. I don't want 20" wheels and am not fussed about the styling but I do care about performance (coming from my real R wagon). Is it worth getting the dynamic package, does anyone notice a difference in driving?

I would appreciate any other comments on options people felt were worthwhile. I do not want any of the added safety features, BLISS ect, absolutely not my thing.

Thanks in advance.
Ps, this is in Canada, not sure if the packages are different in the states...
Let me second the other posts which say that a) Premium sound isn't and b) Platinum is worth it.

Things in the (US) Platinum package I like include the power liftgate (though it needs a remote close -- the assertion that the single close button on the tailgate itself is for "safety" is bull. It's about cost-reduction), the rear camera (this thing is a beast to backup without one) and PCC (though, like Sensus itself, PCC is buggy).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.
I guess my main problem is that in Canada, Platinum ONLY gives you the sound and something else that I don't want and can't remember. With Premier plus you get the lift gate and all of that, so I would be paying a few grand for the upgrade sound with no sub!! If I didn't have to add an aftermarket sub then I wouldn't be thinking twice on platinum. I don't feel like the xc60 is much of an upgrade at all from my v70R which is the problem I guess. I'm losing my manual transmission and getting a crappy sound system and worse gas mileage.

The other vehicle I was considering is the RR Evoque. It comes with a bangin sound system standard and is the same money as the volvo. Alas the RR only has 240hp....

You're right, no one makes the vehicle I want! What I want is something like an XC50 R (real R).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thank you for the replies.
I guess my main problem is that in Canada, Platinum ONLY gives you the sound and something else that I don't want and can't remember. With Premier plus you get the lift gate and all of that, so I would be paying a few grand for the upgrade sound with no sub!! If I didn't have to add an aftermarket sub then I wouldn't be thinking twice on platinum. I don't feel like the xc60 is much of an upgrade at all from my v70R which is the problem I guess. I'm losing my manual transmission and getting a crappy sound system and worse gas mileage.

The other vehicle I was considering is the RR Evoque. It comes with a bangin sound system standard and is the same money as the volvo. Alas the RR only has 240hp....

You're right, no one makes the vehicle I want! What I want is something like an XC50 R (real R).
For Platinum in Canda, you are supposed to get the Nav system, Premium Sound and Rear Park Camera. Breaking those out for 2011.5, I had calculated that you are paying about $1000 US for the Premium Sound part of the package. For that amount, considering what you get as compared to the competition in this class, it is a good value. You can make it sound quite good by generously cutting the bass. I do agree that a subwoofer is required for quality low end. See the following thread for adjustment information as well as a DIY sub design that is both high performance and well-integrated. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?158941-DIY-Subwoofer-Project-A-Premium-Journey-to-the-Low-End

1 - 5 of 5 Posts