SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have an IPD intercooler. I'm looking for options for building protection for the condenser and closing the big gap in front of the car. I do like the OEM look.

I'm planning on fabricating custom horizontal fin/bars like the ones on the OEM FMIC including the nice "wing" profile. They are going to be attached to the condenser the same way so the plastic side air guides can be installed back for increased cooling performance. The bars will take care of large hits (the old FMIC can tell a few stories from the last 12 years).
I'm also thinking of using some kind of mesh/grill/grate attached behind the bars. That will take care of the rest of the hits.
Everything is welded together and powder coated black. The look will pretty much be OEM but with a bigger opening as the FMIC is gone.

What I need help with is the material for the mesh/grill.

If I reuse the FMIC mounting plates then I need to build everything out of aluminum (they are aluminum). Good for corrosion resistance, but the mesh would be fragile and require a frame around - I do not like frames around. The car is flash green and the frame will be evident.
If I fabricate new plates (no big deal) then I can use steel or stainless steel. Both are heavier with steel being cheap and lots of options but rusting quick after impacts that will damage the powder coat (that is guaranteed to happen). Stainless is expensive and I have no idea what mesh options there are.

Please share your experience if you ever built stuff like this.

Thanks and a Happy New Year!

P.S. if you have pics please do post/link to them. Thx!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have in the past used gutter guard mesh from Home Depot motor sports, powder coated gloss black and hand cut and bent around the openings in the grill then hot glued around the areas you can't see with black hot glue.

Looked good when I first installed it, but I think a better quality install is needed on the R. I did it on an old Honda Civic with a eBay front mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts