SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the forum. Recently in market for new mid suv, looked at all carefully, finally saw and drove XC90 - hands down winner http://********************/smile/emthup.gif . Only able to drive T6 locally, and his waiting list is over 100 long, April delivery.

Found a dealer out of state with an available T6 mid Dec delivery. Exact color and options we want. Sent check, supposed to deliver next week. Now the question: another dealer I checked with called me today and has had a 2.5T come open for mid Dec. delivery also. Exact options and color as T6 I have on hold except for 2.5T vs. T6. Cost a couple thousand less.

We live in a hilly area with an 8-15 mile drive to get anywhere. Since I haven't driven the 2.5T (have read the comparisons), any of you folks that have driven willing to share any advice? Given my daily driving, along with longer trips from time to time. I don't want to feel underpowered, however, I wouldn't mind better mileage and less initial cost though.

Thanks

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
Re: Option to buy either One, opinions??? (gohode)

Welcome to Swedespeed. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

I just drove both the other night. I felt the 2.5t was livelier and more enjoyable to drive. The T6 was better equipped -- I didn't like the wood steering wheel option.

The 2.5t felt snappier off the line and with close to 20% better fuel economy you'll save even more money over the life of the car. I'm sure TME will make an ecu upgrade and if the 2.5T starts to feel weak you'll be able to get 30 or 40 more hp out of it. Unless you are towing or hauling a bit of weight or people regularly, the 2.5t should be fine.

It is nice to see an SUV with an AWD wagon fuel economy. The main reason I am shying away from the T6 is fuel economy. Traffic here in D.C. burns enough fuel, having the bi-turbo 6 idling would just eat more. http://********************/smile/emsad.gif

Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I agree with 83caddy16v about the 2.5T. After driving both several times, I ordered a 2.5T. I liked the handling of the 2.5T better (more sporty feel), and I also did not like the feel of the wooden steering wheel (however it did look really cool). Around town and on the freeway the 2.5T had plenty of pep, but the T6 had even more. My concern was also fuel consumption, although some of the guys that have already picked up their T6s have been getting averages in the 17-18mpg range for mixed driving and around 14mpg in stop and go situations, which is better than some of initial reviews. The 2.5T should be better by 4mpg or more.

I'll primarily be driving in relatively flat conditions with few hills, and an occasional trip to the mountains. Some of the reviewers have mentioned lackluster performance of the 2.5T in mountain situations. I guess it depends on just how fast you want to get to the top. That may be a consideration for you if you have to traverse long steep inclines.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

The moral thing to do would be to HONOR the agreement that you signed (if you did, if not...don't worry about it). It's not like that dealer did not/could not honor his commitment and/or lied to you!

Yannis

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the responses and the welcome to the group.

The 2.5T option presented an interesting decision. I would not, however, break a contract with the initial dealer unless he agreed and had no problem with it. I expect the same from him and it is only fair for me to behave the same way.

After reading most of the threads here now, I found that most of the 2.5 vs. 6 comparison is in a variety of threads, and not the one dedicated to that discussion. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

In summary, it seems most of the folks don't see a major difference in performance. I am probably guilty of the "bigger is better" phenomenon and assumed the horsepower difference would be much more desirable and noticeable.

Question: Why doesn't the 203 HP vs 268 HP doesn't come off as obvious in most of the comparison testing done by the members of this forum? Is the difference in transmissions responsible for that? I mean, that is a full 1/3 more power at the engine, which is significant. Maybe it doesn't transfer to the wheels, or the power comes in at a point where it isn't obvious in normal driving?

[Modified by gohode, 12:01 AM 12-5-2002]

·
Registered
93 Posts

Have driven both - 2.5T 3 times and T6 2 times. I agree 100% with jvincent's conclusions in the earlier 'T6 vs. 2.5T: Driving impressions' thread. The T6 engine has a bit more punch above 60mph but didn't seem much smoother to me compared to the 5 cylinder 2.5T. But that's about the only advantage it has over the 2.5T. The 2.5T has a nicer steering feel and better balanced handling IMO. If I'd be looking for more power and smoothnes, I'd wait for the introduction of the V8 engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Option to buy either One, opinions??? (AudiPutz)

Searching the net for information on the XC90 revealed the following: "...T6 comes with a 4 speed autobox and an ECU chipped to limit power in 1st and 2nd to prevent transmission damage. Soon this box will be replaced with a new, tougher, 6 speed.....probably because of the way it is chipped, the T6 didn't feel anything like 268 bhp..." (Honestjohn.co.uk)

Well now, if this is indeed accurate, it certainly answers a lot of questions about the discrepancies in the T6 performance. Explains how a 2.5T with 25% less bhp could beat the T6 in 0-30 acceleleration. Also causes me to worry about how obsolete a 4 speed T6 will become if a 6 speed comes out. For folks worried about 1st model run gremlins, a transmission upgrade concurrent with unleashing all the ponies through tighter spaced gearing would make rattles and paint problems seem insignificant.

Anyone confirm the validity of this??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts