SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
This may or may not be helpful because my experience came from a different vehicle (2013 XC70). I purchased it from a dealer who had already installed the Polestar tuning. I can tell you the torque was quite satisfying, although I do not have a good before/after seat-of-the-pants comparison to give you. It felt torquier than it's predecessor, a V70R, and that's saying something.

There was one thing that bugged me about that car from the day I bought it, though, and I think it can be blamed on the "optimization". It seemed like all of the torque was "top loaded" into the first half of accelerator pedal travel. Perhaps all XC70s are tuned this way, but I've heard that one trick the tuners do is to recalibrate the pedal-vs.-torque relationship so that a little bit of pedal travel off-idle gets you a lot of torque. To some people, this is "improved responsiveness". To me it was just annoying. I strive to drive as smoothly as possible, and this characteristic made it harder than it needed to be. Who needs hot coffee in your lap at every stoplight?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Especially if you have the same car.
I have the same car, but we are in different parts of the world so my figures will look a bit different

In Australia its a 6kw (8hp) gain and 50nm (37lb/ft) at the top end (5500rpm). In the mid-range (2500-4000rpm) its 15kw (20hp) gain and 50nm (37 lb/ft). The mid range HP and torque gains are similar to those for the SI6 at the top end (25hp and 29 lb/ft). So you could conclude that the usable power increase for a Drive E is about equal to that from the older SI6 (5hp in favour of the SI6, 8 lb/ft in favour of the Drive E). Optimisation makes the most sense on the T5 as the gain in mid range for the Drive E T5 is more than the gain for the Drive E T6 (15 kw vs 12kw).

The US site shows no power maximum power gain for the T5, but the mid range gain is the same (15kw)

Plus there are all the drive-ability upgrades. Shift speed, rev matching, throttle response etc etc

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What's the current price on a P* tune for a US 3.0 T6?
It will vary dealer to dealer, but expect around $1000-1200.

I paid $1174 (software and labor) about 1 1/2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
It's still refundable, to the best of my knowledge, if you don't think it's worth it. For that, I don't see any reason not to get it and try it out. If you don't want it, Volvo will refund you and put it back to stock. At our dealership we only refunded one once, and that's only because the service department accidentally installed it on the wrong car. I think Volvo is pretty confident those who get it will love it and want to keep it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It will vary dealer to dealer, but expect around $1000-1200.

I paid $1174 (software and labor) about 1 1/2 years ago.
Wow it's expensive! it takes about 600€ for an stage 1 in France for any car (software and labor)

This is the price I paid on my old Focus T5 ST (stage 1)
225HP ---> 265HP
320Nm ---> 430Nm

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Wow it's expensive! it takes about 600€ for an stage 1 in France for any car (software and labor)

This is the price I paid on my old Focus T5 ST (stage 1)
225HP ---> 265HP
320Nm ---> 430Nm
Yeah, but it voids warranty. Polestar does not affect warranty and can add value to the resale. Folks also seem to have good luck getting discount coupons from Volvo for a few bucks. It's not as cheap as 3rd party, but nothing ever is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts