SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Congrats, applying opticoat pro plus was one of the best things I did thus far to mine, at least IMO.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That is awesome. Great pics. I love the stuff. 1st aftermnarket car paint coating I actually believed in and still do over 4 years later.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
did you do it or was it professionally done?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
did you do it or was it professionally done?
Opticoat pro cannot be purchased for oneself, it is only sold to authorized detailers for them to apply.

The consumer product, which used to be opticoat 2.0 is now called gloss-coat.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow! Purtty:thumbup: (The car--not the smiling admirer in back.)
Did they do the pre cleaning on the new paint?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Very nice! Going to do this also when I get my car. Any reason why you chose Opticoat over Cquartz Finest or Modesta?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a professional job from guys in CT. Having read about OptiCoat on this forum I did some reading on it and got a price quote and it just seemed to be the way to go. I also found the detailer from Tesla forums - a few owners highly recommended this guy.

Anyway, reading about OptiCoat comments on a variety of forums Google turned up seemed to generate no regret or negatives other than perhaps price. If it really is a 5 year thing when maintained, I have no problem with the price.

It's been 1,000 miles and the dealer washed it on Monday, so I figured it would need paint correction - he said no though. Just the standard prep. I did have some small scratches due to removing a bird dropping, but he cleaned that right up. That incident convinced me to do this.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds great. How long did the whole process take?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was about 4 hours including tires. That is about what he estimated it at with no paint correction as well.

It was a team of 2 that did it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it was about 4 hours including tires. That is about what he estimated it at with no paint correction as well.

It was a team of 2 that did it.
Do you mind me asking how much it cost? My overseas delivery XC90 should be delivered to me in Atlanta in September (assuming the various problems don't hold it up) and I want to start looking for a detailer in my area.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you mind me asking how much it cost? My overseas delivery XC90 should be delivered to me in Atlanta in September (assuming the various problems don't hold it up) and I want to start looking for a detailer in my area.
$795 for an XC-90 + I opted for $100 for the tires, which I'm told is high, but I don't mind - they do a good job. I tipped them pretty well as well, but didn't seem as they expected it at all.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Can "any" shop get opticoat, or do you have to meet certain specs/standards?

I wonder, if a shop has opticoat, then you can assume the shop is qualified?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Can "any" shop get opticoat, or do you have to meet certain specs/standards?

I wonder, if a shop has opticoat, then you can assume the shop is qualified?
No, not just any shop can get it. From what I understand there is an approval process. It's not like a detailer just calls optimum polymer technologies and says hi, I'd like to order 2 OC Pro kits and they receive it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very nice! Going to do this also when I get my car. Any reason why you chose Opticoat over Cquartz Finest or Modesta?
I'm going with Modesta over Xpel Ultimate. Longer lasting, not that much price difference. Beautiful candy-like thicker coating. I will post pictures later this month once it is done.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I'm going with Modesta over Xpel Ultimate. Longer lasting, not that much price difference. Beautiful candy-like thicker coating. I will post pictures later this month once it is done.
Modesta and Xpel Ultimate are two completely different beasts though, right? Isn't one a sealant (Modesta) and the other a film (Xpel)?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Modesta and Xpel Ultimate are two completely different beasts though, right? Isn't one a sealant (Modesta) and the other a film (Xpel)?
Absolutely. No clear coat will protect from rock chips, thus the need for the film under any paint protection. If you are really looking for paint protection then the film is a must, then sealant is secondary must.
I just pulled the film off of my 2005 Lexus RX 330 the other day. I was stunned by how good the front and back bumpers looked and it helped me sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
No, not just any shop can get it. From what I understand there is an approval process. It's not like a detailer just calls optimum polymer technologies and says hi, I'd like to order 2 OC Pro kits and they receive it.
That's what I was hoping.

So, if a shop IS using the material, is it fairly safe to assume they do good work?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Absolutely. No clear coat will protect from rock chips, thus the need for the film under any paint protection. If you are really looking for paint protection then the film is a must, then sealant is secondary must.
I just pulled the film off of my 2005 Lexus RX 330 the other day. I was stunned by how good the front and back bumpers looked and it helped me sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wait a second, you put a "film" on the car, and then put a chemical (paint protection) OVER that film?

That sounds like a rip-off, to me

(sorry if I just revealed myself to be a complete noob)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts