SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what people have done with their cars and how much it cost or were quoted. I want to get opticoat or cquartz finest and maybe protective film to cover the hood and behind the tires.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
There are many threads on this subject. Just search on Opticoat, cQuartz, Modesta, Nano, PPF, xPel, Suntek, and 3M Pro. It seems (to me) that many people are satisfied with OptiCoat and XPel Ultimate combination. Not everyone has ready access to an OptiCoat installer.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I would also check out Ceramic Pro 9H.....

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
+1 for XPEL

It is expensive but self heals scratches from road debris and protects from paint chips. That is one step above the protectant coats. Here is my rebel blue V60 Polestar wrapped in XPEL Stealth, which is the transparent matte version of the clear XPEL Ultimate.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
If you want to try the 'new kid on the block' see if your local place does Modesta. But it will be more than Opticoat and the others.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
+1 for XPEL

It is expensive but self heals scratches from road debris and protects from paint chips. which is the transparent matte version of the clear XPEL Ultimate.
Howe much was the whole car wrapped?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
It was a lot of . Let's say I could have bought a motorbike instead. For me the results and protection was worth it for this rare Volvo beast. Heh, cost wise it makes OptiCoat/cQuartz look economical.

I would love to see someone do the same to a bursting blue XC90 R-Design, like the one Volvo had touring around the tradeshow circuit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm testing out Permanon. A friend of mine swears by it and the reviews seem legit. It is ~$10 per application and it lasts 2-6 months. The great thing is that you just wash normally and then spray it on. Water sheets off and you can use an air dryer. I like the idea of avoiding swirl marks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I may ultimately kick myself for this, but i'm foregoing xpel ultimate and instead having just opticoat pro+ applied (and optiguard on the interior). Because we leased and i have no idea if we'll end up keeping it, i didn't really want to invest in the film on a car someone else owns and then turn it back in at the end of the 39 months. The XC90 is my wife's car and she has a history of somehow keeping exteriors in really good condition so we'll see... I suspect even if we love the car, we'll pick up a new one in 3 years and i'll have film done then.

$1500 cash for full opticoat pro+ (2 step), including paint correction for prep, and optiguard. I know it can be had cheaper, but not in the Boston area by a highly qualified/authorized installer.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Opti Coat Pro Plus is a minimum price of $1195 per manufacturer and I have not been able to get it lower. You can often negotiate for a good price if you at Optiguard at the same time. Opticoat Pro is more in the $750 range.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Opti Coat Pro Plus is a minimum price of $1195 per manufacturer and I have not been able to get it lower. You can often negotiate for a good price if you at Optiguard at the same time. Opticoat Pro is more in the $750 range.
What's the difference between Opticoat Pro vs. Pro Plus?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've seen people get the plus for less and got it myself for less, I am certain it varies by regions or just detailer. Optimum themselves did raise prices a bit over s year ago though and that made detailers have to also raise their prices. Poor move on optimum's part, IMO.

The gloss cost I referenced is their consumer product hence the much lower price but its durability isn't as great as the pro or pro plus. Still not bad though for a do it yourself sealant, I was always happy with 2.0 while it was produced until gloss coat came around.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
What's the difference between Opticoat Pro vs. Pro Plus?
Plus is supposed to have better resistance to water spotting from what I've read as well as better shine and 'feel' in terms of slickness. I know the plus comes with a second 5cc vial of product that goes on after the first coat of OptiCoat is applied. I find it to be very glossy and the beading is superb still 7 months later. Slickness... It's not like just waxed. But I dry using a spray detailer for added protection and gloss so that adds that just waxed feel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
alternatives

I am a little baffled by the price of opticoat. The labor involved is essentially a detailing. The product appears to perform like many available protective films but stays on longer. It appears that the product is more difficult to handle/less forgiving in application hence the installer recommendation/requirement. For the price, I would favor detailing it yourself annually and spending the money on an actual film for the front end.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've gotten pro plus for less. I also negotiated with the detailer to take off the wheels and do the inside of the wheels, which has provided a level of protection and ease of cleaning I have appreciated.

I have taken mine through car washes (not recommended) and have been pleasantly surprised by the resiliency of the finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
FYI the optimum leather cleaner is fantastic. One of the best I have encountered: both thorough and gentle on the Nappa amber leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is this, bizarro-world? So, your wife is the polar opposite of mine...
I know, it defies logic. But i appreciate it

I've gotten pro plus for less. I also negotiated with the detailer to take off the wheels and do the inside of the wheels, which has provided a level of protection and ease of cleaning I have appreciated.

I have taken mine through car washes (not recommended) and have been pleasantly surprised by the resiliency of the finish.

I have all of my wheels, especially the high end ones, done right out of the boxes. Completely agree that it makes cleaning so much easier and the added protection is key for dirt and such inside the barrels. Now if only there was something to prevent rock chips...

·
Registered
240 Posts
So I'm looking at 3 different options to protect the paint of our car, Opti-Coat Pro, Xpel and full vinyl wrap. I'm doing some reading online and found this: "Note: Volvo does not recommend the use of long-life or durable paint protection coatings; some of which may claim to prevent pitting, fading, oxidation, etc. These coatings have not been tested by Volvo for compatibility with your vehicle's clear coat. Some of them may cause the clear coat to soften, crack, or cloud. Any damage caused by paint protection coatings may not be covered under your vehicle's paint warranty."

Now I'm having second thoughts... any advice?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts