SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Opti Flow AirFilter (hayabusa02)

That is a hot air intake (despite shield), and has a much smaller surface area than BMC, JR or even stock air filter. Don't see how it could be an improvement.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Opti Flow AirFilter (hayabusa02)

It's a good filter. Many people are using them. Only thing which could be considered a downside is that they can be a lot more noisy than the regular airbox. More "breathing" sound and also blow off noise. At idle they run slightly higher in temp but when moving they cool down fast. No underpressure like with the stock airbox and a lot of cold air coming in from the scoop unobstructed. The open design even cools down the engine bay a lot.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Opti Flow AirFilter (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »

It's a good filter. Many people are using them. Only thing which could be considered a downside is that they can be a lot more noisy than the regular airbox. More "breathing" sound and also blow off noise. At idle they run slightly higher in temp but when moving they cool down fast. No underpressure like with the stock airbox and a lot of cold air coming in from the scoop unobstructed. The open design even cools down the engine bay a lot.

But Johann, that has less surface area than the JR or BMC...
And I KNOW I get plenty of cold air to stock airbox

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Opti Flow AirFilter ("R" Kelly)

I agree on that part. The few Opti-flow setups I have seen appear to use rather tiny filters but it shows that performance doesn't suffer using them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I had a similar Optiflow set-up on my previous Saab and after taking some measurements, I was able to fit a substantially bigger K&N. In theory, this should apply to an R as well (as long as you don't mind eliminating the support at the end of the filter).

Also, on my Saab I used Thermo-Tec adhesive-backed heat shielding all the way around the exterior of the Optiflow shield and also used some additional factory engine compartment "weatherstripping" to seal the top of the shield to the hood when it is closed.

Cost from partsforvolvosonline is US$208.48 (excluding VAT):

http://www.partsforvolvosonlin...=2992

Regards,

Derek

Modified by bb vign at 8:34 AM 4-8-2006

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Opti Flow AirFilter (bb vign)

Quote, originally posted by bb vign »
Cost from partsforvolvosonline is US$365.21 (excluding VAT):

Cost of adding CAI to feed stock air box and J&R high flow filter (yielding greater flow capacity than optiflow) less than $150.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

Cost of adding CAI to feed stock air box and J&R high flow filter (yielding greater flow capacity than optiflow) less than $150.

Never said it was a good deal

That being said, what about doing a CAI mod to the underside of the Optiflow heat shield? Would it make any appreciable difference? Heck, you could even run two CAIs - one from each foglight grill

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
82 Posts
in a friendly helpful forum like this one, it's great when someone can suggest something that's better for lower cost.

i know i like it when someone helps me out like that.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Thread topic was about the Optiflow. I don't see where an opinion about the DYI CAI was asked.

Who pissed in your FEBO? And I don't see where your opinion of my opinion was asked.

Reading your post, the only "advantage" of optiflow that can be gained over just removing sock off stock filter (which flows pretty well) is that there is no underpressure in airbox at full boost. The only way for that to happen is for more air to be coming in from engine bay, (warmer air).

If someone can achieve the only advantage of $365 optiflow system for less then $100 and avoid warm air altogether, I'm gonna mention it, and I certainly don't need your permission. If they can achieve the only benefit of the optiflow, AND have more filter area (= higher flowing) like $55 J&R

(which YOU introduced to R Forum) for less than $150, I'm certainly going to mention it.

BTW, no T-shirts for you at the GTG

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Who pissed in your FEBO? And I don't see where your opinion of my opinion was asked.

Quote, originally posted by hayabusa02 »
I was wondering if anyone is using this from BSR? Is this better or worse than their performance air filter?

http://www.bsrab.se/products/n39/o34/

So where is asked about your BS stories Kelly?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

So where is asked about your BS stories Kelly?

My response to hayabusa's post

Quote, originally posted by hayabusa02 »
I was wondering if anyone is using this from BSR? Is this better or worse than their performance air filter?

was
That is a hot air intake (despite shield), and has a much smaller surface area than BMC, JR or even stock air filter. Don't see how it could be an improvement.

everything else was in reponse to other posts (mostly yours). I make of point of replying to and quoting the person, so it is easy to follow. You even agreed with me that optiflow was SMALLER than J&R, BMC or stock.

So again, if someone can achieve more airflow potential for a lot less money, isn't that the point of the forum to share information? Aren't YOU running J&R ? LOTS of people are running a CAI supplementing stock box, from blot, discom, JimLill, Stagg, the guy that came up with smooth pipe, and this was backed up with actual testing.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I just take my stock filter out and fill the air box with ice. Cold and no restriction

-caleb

+ its like water injection 3 mods in one .. cost $1.00 for bag of ice

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

The open design even cools down the engine bay a lot.

HUH? Please explain how this could possibly cool down the engine bay. The entire area it is taking up used to be open. If it truly is sealed and not sucking hot air from the engine bay, then it's reducing airflow to the engine bay from the front. if it isn't sealed and is sucking hot air from the engine bay... oh.. never mind.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Opti Flow AirFilter (partridge)

Quote, originally posted by partridge »

HUH? Please explain how this could possibly cool down the engine bay. The entire area it is taking up used to be open. If it truly is sealed and not sucking hot air from the engine bay, then it's reducing airflow to the engine bay from the front. if it isn't sealed and is sucking hot air from the engine bay... oh.. never mind.

Some people assume a lot. Others measure.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Johann, are you still running a J&R filter?

If you are, what have you done to eliminate underpressure in stock airbox you mention?

Modified by "R" Kelly at 9:59 PM 4-7-2006

1 - 20 of 41 Posts