SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a CPO 2017 S90 Inscription, which has come off a lease. It has about 16,000 miles on it, and is fully loaded, including the B&W stereo. It was assembled in Sweden, and is a short wheelbase model. The dealer wants just under $40k for it. It has a good Carfax report. Was this year troublesome since it was the first model year for this car? Is this price reasonable for all the options it has? Have there been any upgrades to this model since 2017, like improved navigation, additional safety features, etc? Finally, should I hold on to my 2013 S80 longer? It is also fully loaded, has a little under 54,000 miles on it, and looks and drives like new (but is rougher riding, noisier, and there are fewer safety features than the new models have). My wife has a 2019 XC60, and there’s a world of difference in the ride and noise level. I typically put less than 10K miles on my car per year.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
I looked up the valuation of this car on KBB and assuming you're looking at a T6 it came in right at $39k for a fair purchase price CPO with those miles so I would think there is room to work that price down some. There are other used car value tools like nada and Edmunds so I would look those up as well.

There have been reports of the early Sensus processors being a little slower so I would definitely look into that and make sure you are comfortable with the operation. I'm sure actual owners will post their experiences.

It's a very personal decision about whether you should hold on to the car you have or move on. It's nice to be in a position where you don't have to do something but if you're ready for a new car then go for it. I tend to get bored with cars quickly so I will never tell somebody else to not get something new.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
S90 is a good car and there is no obvious problem from the posts here. Yeh, there is Intellisafe update that costs couple of hundred dollars to install.
S90 price is low because it is not popular. It is the spacious one while less costly among the new SPA cars.

However 2013 S80 is still in its good time to run. I don't know how much you will get by selling it but it is your car so your decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S90 is a good car and there is no obvious problem from the posts here. Yeh, there is Intellisafe update that costs couple of hundred dollars to install.
S90 price is low because it is not popular. It is the spacious one while less costly among the new SPA cars.

However 2013 S80 is still in its good time to run. I don't know how much you will get by selling it but it is your car so your decision.
What’s the Intellisafe update? Something to make it load more quickly or an additional feature?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What’s the Intellisafe update? Something to make it load more quickly or an additional feature?
It is the collision avoidance with steering support. Not related to loading speed. The latest free software update improves the loading time a little.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Edmunds used car appraisal tool shows its worth about 37K (retail dealers price) if its truly loaded with everything including HU display and air suspension. I just picked up a 2018 CPO S90 T5 Momentum loaded with everything except AWD, CD player and the larger wheels. It has the B&W as well as the Air suspension and had only 11K miles and paid 32.5K for it. 40K seems very high to me for the 2017 inscription. Have you searched nationally?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, but I have a good relationship with my local dealer. I don’t think this car has the air suspension, but it does have the larger wheels, and HU display. Not sure about a CD player. It’s a T6 AWD. If I can get $15,000 for my S80, I ca afford the difference. Just not sure I really want it that badly, because the S80 is a T6 AWD, fully loaded with the Inscription option, which included a walnut steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, a leather dash, and Sovereign hide leather. It was one of very few produced that year. On the other hand, it’s old-tech, has a bumpier ride than our new XC60, and is subject to a lot of wind and tire noise. Runs on regular fuel, though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Do you mean the software update that is no longer free?

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
No, but I have a good relationship with my local dealer. I don’t think this car has the air suspension, but it does have the larger wheels, and HU display. Not sure about a CD player. It’s a T6 AWD. If I can get $15,000 for my S80, I ca afford the difference. Just not sure I really want it that badly, because the S80 is a T6 AWD, fully loaded with the Inscription option, which included a walnut steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, a leather dash, and Sovereign hide leather. It was one of very few produced that year. On the other hand, it’s old-tech, has a bumpier ride than our new XC60, and is subject to a lot of wind and tire noise. Runs on regular fuel, though.
I'd probably keep what you have - that car sounds really nice and is worth much more to you than what a dealer will give you for it. Please note that folks have complained about the ride/tires on the SPA S90 with the larger wheels.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you have to have the newest and bestest - buy it. :thumbdown:
If your happy with what you have and it's not costing a bunch of money to maintain - keep it. Take the money you would have spent and invest it or put it in a CD. :thumbup:
Doesn't make sense to be car rich and money poor. JMO.

I

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have there been any upgrades to the S90 since 2017, besides the long wheelbase and the Intellisafe upgrade described above? I took my 2013 into our dealer for what I thought would be a minor repair, and got an estimate of about $3,000 of other things about to go wrong -- battery, brake booster pump, audio module, rearview camera, etc. There's a CPO 2017 S90 on the lot that's fully loaded, with Bowers & Wilkinson, air suspension, perforated leather seats, etc, with 19K miles that is tempting.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The computer got a lot faster in 2019...that's pretty much the only other significant improvement/change. I'm fine with my 2017 computer speed...I've learned to be patient for the first 45-55 seconds.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
My 2017 has 45k miles on it. Its been a fantastic car so far. The extra room in the 90-series versus the 60-series or previous generation S80 is welcome.

With the latest tech, CPO warranty and a price in the $30-40k range, I think the S90 is a much better buy than a new S60 in the $40-50k range. The 2018s are the longer wheelbase and provide a limo like experience for rear-seat passengers. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Except for the slow Sensus processor and the occasional phantom cross-traffic/collision avoidance alerts (and occasional auto-brakes when not needed) I've really been enjoying our 2018 S90 T8. My kids love the limo-like back seat and it's a great ride for my very boring and straight-line commute that has two right turns, one left turn, and an off ramp.

The thing is that it's kind of a boat - IIRC it's only 1 inch shorter than our old 2009 Odyssey. I regularly have my nose or ass sticking out of parking spaces, and while it's not obnoxiously long, it's up there. If you were to look for the upgraded Sensus (2019+) you'll be getting that length to manage/deal with.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Have there been any upgrades to the S90 since 2017, besides the long wheelbase and the Intellisafe upgrade described above? I took my 2013 into our dealer for what I thought would be a minor repair, and got an estimate of about $3,000 of other things about to go wrong -- battery, brake booster pump, audio module, rearview camera, etc. There's a CPO 2017 S90 on the lot that's fully loaded, with Bowers & Wilkinson, air suspension, perforated leather seats, etc, with 19K miles that is tempting.
FYI: Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church VA has a 2017 S90 Inscription T5 FWD with 30K, fully loaded except no air suspension, advertised for $28,400. It is in outstanding condition and was impeccably maintained by its previous owner. ;)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My 2017 has 45k miles on it. Its been a fantastic car so far. The extra room in the 90-series versus the 60-series or previous generation S80 is welcome.
In your opinion how much roomier is the swb S90 compared to the S80 in the rear seats? I am also back to looking at a used 2017/2018 S90. I was about to get a 2020 S60 but the car felt really cramped inside when I drove one for two days. Surprised since its dimensions are close to the S80 which is quite spacious.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FYI: Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church VA has a 2017 S90 Inscription T5 FWD with 30K, fully loaded except no air suspension, advertised for $28,400. It is in outstanding condition and was impeccably maintained by its previous owner. ;)
I bought my 2017 S90 T5 at Don Beyer about a year and a half ago. One thing to keep in mind. They add a $795 documentation (that may not be the exact name) fee to every deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the Plunge

I bought my 2017 S90 T5 at Don Beyer about a year and a half ago. One thing to keep in mind. They add a $795 documentation (that may not be the exact name) fee to every deal.
Went ahead and bought the T6 AWD 2017 S90. It's fully loaded -- I don't know if the massaging seats or 4C suspension were available that year, but it has the B&W stereo, and air suspension. Crystal White with amber/black interior and black headliner. I had to buy a set of Michelin Pilot P3 tires as it had Pirelli PZero summer tires on it and I live in the Midwest. There is more legroom in the backseat than in the old S80, even with the shorter wheelbase. Does anyone know of a good leather cleaner for Volvo's highest quality (Nappa perforated) leather? I have a black wool overcoat that transferred black color onto the console lid and the edge of the seat, and Lexol took it off, but should I buy a Volvo product? Also, our dealer was in a rush and didn't set up a profile matched to my wife's key, and I'm not sure how to do it. Finally, I guess you have to download map updates for this car, and I did download a newer version of Illinois and Wisconsin and put it on a 32 GB memory stick formatted with FAT 32, but when I plug it into the USB port, nothing happens. Thanks all, this car looks like a dream.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts