SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found a 1998 Saffron v70r for sale. It has had the rear driveshaft removed (suggested by the owners Volvo mechanic), so it's obviously only FWD right now. It needs CV's on one side, has a very small coolant leak in the radiator, and the owner said the PCV system hasn't been done in a while. I can grab this car for $2,000. 230k miles though....

Radiator is about $150. Axles from $50- $200 (Cardone, Volvo OEM), PCV is low cost.

What do you guys think ? I can do the repairs myself, so labor costs are not an issue. I feel like for $3,000 I can have this car at stage 0 status.

Thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
$1000 max

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
$750 max

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
How's the body and interior look?

Has is had the fuel pump done?

·
Registered
160 Posts
overall body interior condition would dictate if time/money is worth it for you

I spent $4100 on my 00 laser and it needs what you said plus over $2000 more that im already into it. I knew about most of the work but the rarity done did me in

·
Registered
370 Posts
id say 1000

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
That's a tough sell.
but you have to remember that me and jim buy way more volvos compared to the rest of everyone here.

Shoot to even put me and him in the same range is silly he buys 10x then I do lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think what you want to pay is determined by the goal of the car. If you want to resell, I'd aim for under 1k. If you want to drive it, I'd possibly go higher since its a more rare color but without the working AWD, you should be able to haggle that down. You're looking at about 1k in parts and even a good working 98 R isn't worth all that much with 230k.

·
Registered
743 Posts
meanwhile, there is a '99 V70R with 185k in the swedespeed classifieds that has stage 0 work already done - listed on ebay for a starting bid of $3500 with no reserve.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't haggle like that. $750, $1,000. I'll leave that to the pro's. I just get pissed when the owner throws a hissy fit due to the low offer, and I walk away.

Anyways, maybe I'll just skip this one. Body and interior are good. I don't know about the fuel pump though.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Since the body and interior are in good shape and its a car you really want, as long as you don't mind putting in some money+time to get a good mechanical stage 0 done, I would consider it, since Saffron's don't pop up too often.

Also, where's the car located?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Let him throw his fit! Miles and work needed drops that price regardless of the rarity. Listen to the guys here. Have you looked in the classifieds here, or on any of the other Volvo forums? I'm sure if you add another $1600 to that v70r asking price I'm sure you could find something with less miles and in decent mechanical shape.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I look on the classifieds here, VolvoSpeed, Matthews, VolvoForums, etc all the time. Daily, quite literally. I don't have any real budget restriction per say, but I feel that most people are either A) asking too much, or B) the car needs too much work. Usually a combination of both. I tried to get a member here to sell me his high mileage m56 swapped 850R. What did he want for it ? $6,700. That's a gas... I didn't think that the V70R in question here was too pricey, or in need of too much work. A radiator is a joke to change, and cheap. CV's are pretty cheap as well, just slightly more labor intensive but that's OK. I'm doing the work.

I saw the Silver V70R in Boston for sale. Lots of recent work, absolutely. Do I want to drive all the way to Boston just to view the car ? Nope. When people put ads up on Forums like these, it's smart if they post as many photos of the car as possible, because we all know that when it comes to rare vehicles like these, a lot of potential buyers are coming from out of state and want to know as much as possible before arriving to view said car.

There are a lot of newer cars for sale on here, as well as the others Forums. Cars which I don't particularly care for. Another good bit of the cars advertised on these Forums are modified carelessly, and I'm not going to buy those either. After owning a ton of turbocharged cars over the past 13 years, I know how people drive when their mods include manual boost controllers and blow-off valves.

Currently, my only prospects are this V70R, an 850r sedan in VA, and an 850r sedan near NYC. It's proving very difficult to find any 850 or V70 variations worth purchasing.

Thanks for the tips guys. Oh, and this V70r is in the Hudson Valley of NY.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The dealer guys will always pay less than reggalar folk like us, if it's cosmetically decent you should just try to beat him down as much as possible and then fix it and enjoy it. $3000 for a rare stage 0 car isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
You have to understand something, unless you can turn your own wrenches and know what you're doing (these cars have some of the own oddities), if you want it nice, there's no way in hell, you get away with spending $1500 on an older Gen 1 AWD...NEVER, not anymore.

While do I ask fairly big money, I usually get it.
It's because I go thru these cars pretty darn thoroughly and FIX everything but even at my (low) parts and labor costs these cars cost a pretty penny to get right.

You've heard the old saying, "you get what you pay for" right? Well it's never more true than with these cars.
If you're able to buy one very cheap, there's a reason why

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, he just sent me a few more photos, and now it's officially a no-go. Finally sent a hood shot, and the clear coat is stripped off in many spots. I'm not paying for paint work in addition to the few mechanical bits it needs.

I've turned my own wrenches for over a decade, building and tuning turbo motors as a hobby. Mechanically, this car wouldn't be a challenge to fix. If the issues extend beyond what's being told, well, then it'd get annoying but still doable. Anyways, this car is a no-go regardless.

Where "you get what you pay for" is concerned, that only applies to the few honest people out there selling used cars. Just because a car is more expensive doesn't mean it's in good condition. Many people overprice their junk, whereas others simply price it accordingly. Ok, I'm getting off-topic now.

Now I'm looking at: '96 red 850R sedan, 170k miles. Super clean inside and out from what I can tell. Recent tune-up, timing belt / water pump / tensioner done recently. 2 owners, current one is Volvo technician. Southern car, located in VA. Only modification is IPD exhaust. $3,500.

The other is a '96 black 850R sedan, 141k miles. Also very clean, and has similar recent maintenance (T-belt, H2O) + new turbo and brakes. Mods are Bilsteins, and OBX 3" TBE. This is in NY, and he's asking $5,000 (flexible).

I appreciate the opinions offered here, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Some random thoughts: we "civilians" probably allow a little more emotion into the buying decision on one of these cars than JRL or Justin do. That lets throw a little more money at the purchase than is probably rational, and still sleep at night. :) So if we have our heart set on a Laser Blue or a Saffron or an Olive, that lets us gloss over some negatives that they wouldn't. But there's a tipping point with any car, where it just ain't worth it even if you do perform all your own work. At this age, that's how a lot of these cars end up on the market. The owners still like the car, but the list of things wrong (and the price tag) has just grown too large. What I've noticed lately is, the market has somehow picked up on the desirability of these cars, and so it seems like even the cars that are rough AND have things wrong AND have a lot of miles are still priced as if they are sweet and solid. And even those seem to be selling... :O
You have to go a long way to make a car as nice as Jim or Justin makes one, which sounds like that is what your objective is, but it sounds like you just need to find one that is a good basis to start with. Just keep looking. They still do pop up once in a while, but you kinda have to widen your search (maybe out of your immediate area) and be ready to jump when one does appear.
It surprises me when I still see a 60-100K-mile Gen 1 car show up on craigslist or cars.com, etc., but it does happen.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The 99 R in Boston is being sold by member "Tom" I'm sure he can get a lot of pictures if you need them. I know off the top of my head, it needed the rear bumper repainted and the hood has a dent, but both are being replaced before sale. If I were in the market still I'd buy that one--heck, my R needs both bumpers repainted, and I still bought it because it was in pretty good mechanical shape

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not trying to take over the thread, but I may be selling mine shortly. I bought the car a month ago and it hasnt left my driveway since. I spent $4100 on it and im somewhere near $2500 in parts into it and that doesnt include the tires or alignment I need after its all back together. Im making it dam near perfect. Once its close to done i will place it for sale here for a short time. If I dont get any bites quickly I will title it and then it wont be for sale (takes 2 months in NY for DMV to mail an out of state title). It wont be cheap though, EVERYTHING will be done on it.

I knew it needed a lot of work when I bought it. Some of the basics are stage 0, tires, rack, tierods, driveshaft, silicon hoses, bypass valve, drivetran seals and fluids, rear control arms, and more. But at 150k its in cosmetically terrific shape. No paint fade, barely any dents. I pretty much paid for the color and rarity

1 - 20 of 32 Posts