SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 2011 volvo has a rebuilt title with 54k miles. Already test drove and its solid has 2 lights one for tlmost likely for the exhaust so probable needs a spacer and the other for the srs light perhaps the shop couldn't clear the code. So any input? All imma say is its not an s60

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
So why is this in the "R" forum?

Being in FL flood damage is always a possibility. Going in blindly without know if those items could be repaired could be costly. The only reason a salvage title is usually bad is for resale. If you believe the seller why it's salvage, and when it comes time to sell it don't mind getting a haircut at the same time then it's a moot piont.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Since a minor fender bender that damages a headlight and hood can total a car now, it depends on why it was totaled. As mentioned by 300, I would never want a car that's been flood damaged.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its more to get input already have an R not buying another lol. Its not flood damage already pulled the carfax it had a front courner hit that deployed the drivers side air bag.

Really just loking for some input as I myself have not purchased a car with a salvage title, and really not looking to resell.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The airbag light is probably from the wreck and will take more than a simple clearing of the code in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 v70r 138k, Sold : 2004 s60r, 1999 s70T5
160 Posts
I would have those codes looked at before I committed anything. The car is 2011, it had to be wrecked pretty severe to total the car. I have a salvaged title 99 s70t5...and I was the one in the accident, I saved all of the pics from the wreck and put it back together with volvo parts ( fender , hood). The wreck was not bad but enough to salvage it.
Ask for pics
Get all of the information on the car and the accident it was in.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
There haven't been any real "national headline" events in FL since 2011, so if the car has always been in state, doubtful there is flood damage like the OP said. My big concern would be if the car comes from out-of-state. But yeah, a 4 year old car totalled? That's a really big repair job, and probably more than you can see.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Its not just the computers a flooded car trashes, but every since crimp connector on all those wiring harnesses will be corroding as well which can be an even worse problem than a cruddy computer module.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Salt water flood = **** no
Freash water flood = eh ok

I wouldnt buy a car someone else fixed, I only buy them and fix them myself that way I know its done right the first time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You need to find out what the damage was/is. I was nailed on a rear quarter panel of my 07 Mercedes. Along with that damage there was clear damage to the wheel/suspension. Cost to repair the panel and visible suspension damage was over $10k. They didn't bother looking any further at that point and salvaged it. Needless to say, I was shocked at the cost of repairs.

I personally wouldn't go near a flood damaged vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never, ever buy a vehicle with rebuilt title unless you know the specific details of original damages, AND who repaired it. Just the fact that whomever repaired it can't reset the SRS warning light would b a very bad sign in my opinion? Or maybe they did reset light but it's back on would b indication of less than optimal repair. BEWARE!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Appreciate the input, but its not flood damage it was a left front hit, lve seen the car already it drives stright pulls good handles really really well. And stops on a dime. I wish I had a laptop with my vida or I would of hooked it up but I only have it on a desktop. Guy owns a body shop so the work was done right.

Here are some pics

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
wrapped hood may be a ****ty paint job imo

both my old flashicama 05 SR and my current 07 VR are rebuilt titles. My SR i had for 7k miles, no issues. My 07 VR? No issues at all! All my money just goes into regular maintence and go fast / look pretty parts. Just make sure there is no water damage. both my cars were front end impacts that took out both R headlights and the R bumper. I bought my VR from the same guy I bought my S60R. If you can get a "feel" of the person you are buying the car from, and they seem like a straight shooter, id go for it

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Its not a wrap its paint and is the original hood.

The guy was upfront about everything even showed me were the damage was and the process he went through in fixing it. Gave the code the car was throwing for cel which is due to exhausy needs a spacer on tne oxygen sensor.

But you guys are right the srs one has me could be a simple resey or something else. Gonna have see what my local dealer would charge to check it out.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That Air Bag light is 95 percent chance needing a new air bag module. If it was just a light that needed to be reset, he would have already done it.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Sounds like you've already decided to buy it.

As someone who drives salvage cars (that I fix myself) and has seen my share of bad repairs, my advice is don't touch it unless you know how to spot bad body and frame work.

Why would it need an o2 spacer? Does it have custom exhaust? The fact that you're not concerned about warning lights scares me. Warning lights are a real bright flashy indicator of REPAIR IS NOT DONE YET OR WAS NOT DONE RIGHT.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Air bag modules can be VERY expensive. After I was t-boned I was shocked to see the side curtain airbag and the headliner it blew through was a several thousand dollar fix, though still cheaper than a head x-ray for the insurance company.

The reason why this guy may not have properly repaired the system is because he doesn't want to spend the $$$$ to flip the car and will let the new owner worry about it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No havent decided to buy anything just answer questions as I see them to give the best perspective I can on it. Exhaust is custom as well. Was gonna get the dealer to inspect as the SRS module had escaped me so thats why I wanted your guys input. But maybe walking away is the best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts