SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm looking for some input from the 850r fellas.

I've recently found a Red '97 855R near my home. It has 214k on it (whoa..), is a one owner car, and supposedly has lots of service history available to potential buyers. I have only viewed the car, and not yet driven it (owner not present).

The paint at first looked heavily faded and worn through, but after some rubbing with my finger, I could tell it just needs what could be it's first buffing and waxing ever... A few small paint chips and rust spots on the rear hatch and hood lip. Driver seat bolsters are beyond shot, while the rest of the interior is pretty good. Volans are nice for the age, no rash (country car).

He claims it runs very well, and has had the major services twice over by now. Records will prove this if true. I can drive it the 28th, and see for myself.

If it runs and drives alright, with only minor work and TLC needed, what would you pay ?

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
I would look over the service records carefully. If they have not crapped out already, the heater core and AC evap are ticking timb bombs that will cost a few $$ to fix. The transmission could go at any time as well, and when they go, they go hard.

If you aren't capable of getting specific answers to the items above, taking into consideration you are going to want to replace the drivers seat ($$), stage ZERO, there are probably going to be more problems with the paint you aren't able to see yet, depending on how much it has been driven lately, the brakes could need replacing, AND the mileage...I would not pay more than $1500.

If you are able to get the car for cheap, be warned, 850s are fun cars and overall very reliable, but they have a tendancy to knickle and dime you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Sir. The transmission is a primary concern. I never buy automatic vehicles, but to get an 850r I'm considering it. I'm going to get with him and go through the records ASAP. It's likely that it will need the calipers rebuilt, as I can tell it's sat for a bit. Cheap to do, but who wants to ?..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts