SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a 1999 C70 Red Convertible w/ 52K miles for sale unfortunately it's 250 miles away so I haven't seen it in person. The owner said the top sticks but is in great condition. I know I should ask the experts (all of you) on this so I would like to get an opinion on what it is worth and what maintenance issues I should be prepared to perform. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well..the motor is nearly identical to your V70R...so you should know that aspect. As for the top sticking, I would suspect either a microswitch or a wire leading to them; unless it's like mine and the headliner is ripped and it just gets stuck right as it finishes closing because the headliner gets in the gear that pulls it down at the very end. My top just pinched off my defrost wire last week and I soldered in a replacement piece of wire, and it was fun. I haven't had to do anything to my top in the 3 years I've had it. The switches don't look terribly complicated to replace.
Only other thing that is unique to these cars is the front window regulators are known to break (mine did) and are outrageously expensive (700-1000) and a bear to align correctly. I jury-rigged a bolt into it with a metal wheel from a sliding door kit and ground the head off the bolt so it would fit back in. Also, the visors are also notorious for breaking, and are, to my search, impossible to find used. But they're tiny and only come down, so they're not all that useful in the first place.
The HPT didn't come out until '00 year, and that's a big bump in power.
That low of mileage would put a slight premium on it.. KBB says it should be worth ~3k...at a dealer...with every option. Plus maybe 500 for the low miles.
Personally, 3k would be my max, with the top sticking...2k.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When my old C70s top stopped working it was >500€ to fix it. In this case it was a wire to the inductive sensors which tell the fully opened position, not really a lot in terms of parts and work. What made it so expensive was recalibrating the whole thing, which you can't really do on your own.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess they're asking a bit too much then. I'll wait to see if they drop the price. Thanks for all the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts